ESPN questions if Ronda hype was fraudulent. Chael says media created her (Video)

LOL You don't have to land a punch to get into the clinch. You can feint, get someone to react and get the clinch.

KEEP YELLING THOUGH IF IT MAKES YOU THINK YOU ARE GONNA CONVINCE ME OF YOUR POINTS!

So to start off a fight you just feint your way into the clinch immediately? I don't even understand your points anymore.

Are you saying you can effectively fight in MMA without striking at all?

It's hard to find gifs, but Rousey has basically been getting her takedowns like this for years.
giphy.gif

It worked until it stopped working. The Miesha Tates of the world just played right into her game.

I agree that wrestling in general is more effective than Judo for MMA, but for Chael to say that it is useless is kind of funny considering an Olympic Judoka (Rousey) beat an Olympic wrestler (McMann). Also, Karo Parisyan used to throw people around and a large part of Sambo and BJJ guys' takedowns is based on Judo (good examples are Fedor and Demian Maia).

Also, Judo used to have a decent amount of submissions and ground/position fighting before they ruined the sport by changing the rules. Chael showing some hate here to the sport of Judo..

Rousey and Mcmann were fighting an MMA fight, not wrestling. The threat of being punched in the face changes everything.
Moot point to bring that up.

Judo doesn't win you fights, sure, it can put you in some advantageous spots, but it's not on the checklist for MMA training. You're not deciding on judo over any one of the three 'staples' you must have to be a complete fighter.

Chael isn't wrong through and through here.

So to start off a fight you just feint your way into the clinch immediately? I don't even understand your points anymore.

Are you saying you can effectively fight in MMA without striking at all?

Not immediately, but what I'm trying to get across is that strikes can set up clinches/takedowns as much as takedowns can set up strikes. Most people don't want to get punched period and it doesn't matter if they are good or not; they don't want the blow to connect. Against Nunes, Rousey was so piss poor at gauging distance, she was getting teed off on and you could see her cave immediately. This hadn't always been the case in the past, she showed a good enough awareness of how close her opponent was relative to her.

If Rousey was totally ineffective at striking, she wouldn't have gone as far as she did. The problem was she fell in love with her striking and then showed up against a fighter that had the best fight of her WMMA career (Holm) and Rousey showed up in bad shape, couldn't strike with Holm and was gassing out trying to close distance. When she did actually clinch, she didn't have the energy to do her combo throw attempts (she hardly ever went for one attack at a time, but two or three, to set up her opponent). Holm shrugged her off and we know how the fight ended.

I'm not exactly impressed by Nunes' victory over Rousey, as she was a shell of herself.

Rousey's hype was around her striking and it was perpetuated by the UFC not the "media." Their lapdog journalists eat up whatever they are told to. Her grappling was her bread and butter. Her striking was passable but never her strong suit. Why Rousey bought into the hype is beyond me, but she has obviously surrounded herself with idiots who won't tell her the truth.

There have been fighters that have gotten by with some pretty bad striking, but they were super dominant in other areas (think Mark Coleman). I've never seen someone be able to do things with an opponents arm like Rousey could, male or female in MMA.

All of this is moot if Rousey doesn't make changes and leave for another camp. She may just as well retire if she keeps doing what she is doing.

While I enjoyed her getting beat and don't care for her, you gotta admit that's a really hard fall from the top. Literally from the face of female athletics, being in movies, and considered invincible to shot as a fighter with faded star power in just 2 fights.

Not immediately, but what I'm trying to get across is that strikes can set up clinches/takedowns as much as takedowns can set up strikes. Most people don't want to get punched period and it doesn't matter if they are good or not; they don't want the blow to connect. Against Nunes, Rousey was so piss poor at gauging distance, she was getting teed off on and you could see her cave immediately. This hadn't always been the case in the past, she showed a good enough awareness of how close her opponent was relative to her.

If Rousey was totally ineffective at striking, she wouldn't have gone as far as she did. The problem was she fell in love with her striking and then showed up against a fighter that had the best fight of her WMMA career (Holm) and Rousey showed up in bad shape, couldn't strike with Holm and was gassing out trying to close distance. When she did actually clinch, she didn't have the energy to do her combo throw attempts (she hardly ever went for one attack at a time, but two or three, to set up her opponent). Holm shrugged her off and we know how the fight ended.

I'm not exactly impressed by Nunes' victory over Rousey, as she was a shell of herself.

Rousey's hype was around her striking and it was perpetuated by the UFC not the "media." Their lapdog journalists eat up whatever they are told to. Her grappling was her bread and butter. Her striking was passable but never her strong suit. Why Rousey bought into the hype is beyond me, but she has obviously surrounded herself with idiots who won't tell her the truth.

There have been fighters that have gotten by with some pretty bad striking, but they were super dominant in other areas (think Mark Coleman). I've never seen someone be able to do things with an opponents arm like Rousey could, male or female in MMA.

All of this is moot if Rousey doesn't make changes and leave for another camp. She may just as well retire if she keeps doing what she is doing.

All focus is always on Rousey in her wins and her losses, to the point that people think she can't possibly lose if she's sharp.

The women who beat Rousey were the ones who insisted on fighting on their terms. Holm insisted on a movement heavy counter game and smoked her. Nunes was super aggressive and broke her like she does to almost everyone.

On the other hand, look at some of Rousey's wins where her opponents did the work for her and fought on her terms:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

A lot of her previous opponents did the work for her and made her look a lot better than she was. She's obviously a KILLER at what she's good at, but it's clear that she had a lot of help from her opponent in getting there. Look at these women LEAP into the clinch with her.

Going to be crazy when they discover the truth about Conor.

Lol what truth that he can beat the FW and LW champ? Ronda beat like 7 girls a lot in the first round. I remember tons of people on this site saying Holm
would get beat easily. No one is unbeatable but Connor and Ronda are legit fighters who lost to better fighters that's it.

She has legit ground skills and was in her prime when she she as training with the Diaz bros at the scrap pack. Ever since joining edmond her evolution has been stunted with his odd striking style that hasn't worked for any of his mma fighters. Both Travis brown and Ellenberger stalled out in their progress entirely.

Lol what truth that he can beat the FW and LW champ? Ronda beat like 7 girls a lot in the first round. I remember tons of people on this site saying Holm
would get beat easily. No one is unbeatable but Connor and Ronda are legit fighters who lost to better fighters that's it.

Basically that neither were as good as the legends the ufc sold out to promote them.

I think there's a chance even Arianny Celeste or Brittney Palmer could TKO Ronda Rousey. I've seen clips of them hitting and kicking pads. If they kept throwing punches and kicks, Ronda would wilt and get wobbled.

Rousey and Mcmann were fighting an MMA fight, not wrestling. The threat of being punched in the face changes everything.
Moot point to bring that up.

Judo doesn't win you fights, sure, it can put you in some advantageous spots, but it's not on the checklist for MMA training. You're not deciding on judo over any one of the three 'staples' you must have to be a complete fighter.

Chael isn't wrong through and through here.
What are the three staples according to you? I see it as:
Standup (punches, kicks, knees, elbows, striking defense and evasion, footwork)
Clinch (takedowns, throws, sweeps, takedown defense, strikes from the clinch, pull guard, control in clinch, thai plumb)
Groundfighting (positioning, top control, bottom control, passes, reversals, sweeps, escapes, submissions, submission defense)

If I had to make it into sports, the main ones would be:
Standup: Kickboxing (western or K1/Dutch style), Muay Thai, western boxing, karate
Clinch: Freestyle wrestling, Greco-Roman wrestling, Judo/traditional Jiujitsu, Muay Thai
Groundfighting: Wrestling (freestyle/greco), Judo/traditional Jiujitsu, BJJ, catch wrestling, Sambo (Sambo is like a lighter version of MMA, but has a heavy base on leg locks you don't see often in the other ones)

It has pretty much been proven in my opinion that the best base for MMA is wrestling, because usually it means you control whether the fight stays standing or on the ground and you are good at controlling opponents and positioning on the ground. Also, wrestlers are used to grind and often times physically strong and hard punchers (even when lacking technique). Judo comes in second as a grappling sport, but would definitely not deem it useless. It is similar in wrestling in all the above mentioned aspects, only that they have a Gi and in MMA you don't. But then you have more submissions than in wrestling and the element of surprise in some of the throws that you don't see in wrestling (gives you an advantage a la Machida or Wonderboy because your opponents are not used to those techniques, especially at such a high level). The new rules in Judo though, of the last 12 years or so, definitely messed up the sport a bit, making it essentially Greco with a jacket. I think this is why Chael calls it useless.. Rousey is still of the old guard though by the way, she is used to leg grabs etc. I still hang on to the old Judo rules in my head, still can't comprehend that they ruined the sport..

<{boneytears}>

Rousey isn't fraudulent. She isn't evolving or improving her game.

Almost every fighter loses badly, but the best change afterwards. GSP lost to Serra and got better. Then he found ways to improve his game and force people to fight his fight. Rousey doesn't seem to be doing that.

if Ronda is overrated then so is holly and nunes since Ronda whooped the girls who finished both of them
Cat%2BZingano%2BFinishes%2BAmanda%2BNunes%2BUFC%2B178.gif

ufc-196-8-tate-finishwatermarked.gif

Let's be real, she did the equivalent of a flash KO, but in submission form. Cat literally gave her arm to her, and literally had the dumbest brain fart in MMA history.

She had one job, and that was to avoid the clinch, and pick her apart from the outside. She did an excellent job at perpetuating the stereotype of female fighters and their horrible fight IQ.

I hope she never ever fights again, just for that.

Back