ESPN exec: "Ariel's not going to shy away from reporting something if Dana doesn't want it reported"

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Helwani at ESPN probably pisses Dana off to no end.

But while the MMA social media bubble acts as if tension between sports entities and media is a unique circumstance, ESPN’s newsroom has long dealt with leagues in which the corporate side dislikes some of the things reporters are reporting.

“It’s not like this is something new,” Pitaro said. “The big stick-and-ball sports don’t like everything we publish, but we’re here to report the news that matters. I’ve got a long relationship with Dana White, and yeah, I’m going to hear about it sometimes, but they know we’re going stay on top of the issues of the day because the viewers demand it.”

To that end, in recent weeks, ESPN’s editorial staff has stayed on top of controversial topics, from the Jones drug test results which led to his fight with Alexander Gustafsson being moved from Las Vegas to the Los Angeles area to the debut of former NFL player Greg Hardy, who got in legal trouble due to domestic abuse issues, on Saturday’s Brooklyn show.

“You’ve seen it already in the news we’ve reported,” Jacobs said. “Ariel’s not going to shy away from reporting something if Dana doesn’t want it reported. We’re not going to avoid tough issues.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/17/18184837/espn-execs-ready-for-the-dawn-of-a-new-ufc-era

0606-dana-white-ariel-helwani-6.jpg

It's not something they should really have to say.
The sports they cover should have no impact or control over the stories they run.
They're just welcoming the UFC to the world real sports have been in forever.

Well... whats he supposed to say?

"Ariel will be working here as our main shill" ?

The sports they cover should have no impact or control over the stories they run.
Exactly, NFL/NBA/NHL shows on ESPN talk shit about the leagues, rules and players all the time.

Dana vs Ariel feud has run it's course, Ariel vs Luke Thomas is the feud to watch

Dana wants Hardy to fight without anyone making noise because negative controversy always hurts UFC and never turns into profit.

Hardy played for the cowboys after his domestic violence issue. This isn’t the UFCs battle. They aren’t obligated to make all the insane feminists happy by passing on this opportunity. If the p.c. Nfl allowed him in their organization after his assault, then why the fuck should the ufc have to answer questions why they’re allowing him? These types of outbursts are so fuckin embarrassing.

Last edited:
Who cares. There isn't a single member of the MMA media that is a bulldog that will call the UFC or fighters out for real. They all have the same beta attitude..."this is ridiculous..but I'm looking forward to the fight." They complain endlessly about the rankings but all declined when they were asked to take part and vote like other members of sports media do in college sports and pro honors like HOF. The MMA media complains constantly about the way the UFC is operating, but then by the end of their article or show they promote it.

The UFC made their bed with ESPN now they get to lay in it.
They’re going to bring it down to NFL/NBA retard level.

U muricans, how much is Ariel on TV? I thought the whole deal with his move was to be on the good ol' telly but it has looked to me that they just put him in a closet and lowered the production value

In breaking news: It seems Ariel looking back wasn't too happy with Quinton and this " Memphis squashing " thing.
Ariel in a recent interview says " there's one guy that needs to know we're eye to eye as far as what I do (report) and what he does (fight). Rampage will never clown me again and we do need to squash this thing and it'll come in the form of an apology by him......Ill be waiting next time we cross"

Holy mother of ... Ariel grew a set and in a big way.
(Good for him- he might get open handed across the noggin but he'll stand tall and legally pursue him).

Yeah, "I am not a paid shill" should be implicit if you are actually a journalist.

Back