Escaping wrist control

lightw8

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I remember this old man with death grips used to always get me in a bind when he was on top half guard, and side control as well. when he'd control one of my wrists after putting one of my arms over, so my hand is next to my opposite ear. he'd have one arm under my head, and that hand would hold my wrist, so my elbow is pointing straight up. he was the only one who'd be able to hold me like this. wondering if there is a common counter to this? haven't been on the mat in a long while, but this still irks the hell out of me.

kinda like at 1:14

Gift wrap is hard to get out of, really hard. I personally just attempt to shrug out of it, but with your arm that isolated it will get attacked.

ah ok, didn't know if I was missing something fundamental there or not to counter that. also a bit of an ego thing...as a stronger guy, figured if I couldn't muscle out of it, there had to be something skillset wise to get out of it but couldn't figure it out.

I hit the gift wrap from the mount and its one of my go-to series. I don't know why more guys don't use it. When your arm is trapped like that your opponent has so many offensive options its ridiculous, let alone striking if you are doing MMA.

As far as how to escape it, I don't know, but you do want to get your back flat to the mat. When I gift wrap I pull a guy up on his side. Try and get that side and the shoulder of the arm wrapped back down on the mat. This takes away the angle on many chokes and gets your arm back somewhat from the potential armlock.

The reason more guys don't go for it, is because good guys don't let themselves get there.

It's one of the you fucked up a while ago positions

This position is tough to get out of... here's a video of Dean setting it up from the americana from mount (no gi):

The reason more guys don't go for it, is because good guys don't let themselves get there.

It's one of the you fucked up a while ago positions

exactly. EVERYONE that has trained for a good amount of time has had the gift wrap applied to them. In pro mma it's almost always a tko, you cannot let them get that good of a position on you

Here are two good ways to get out of this:
First one is when your opponent reaches under your head and initiates the wrist grab. Put your fist to the floor and resist(turning the opposite way he/she is trying to turn you). Next grab that wrist with your other hand. Now quickly turn away from your opponent(1/4 turn) while using your free hand(the one grabbing your wrist) to push your "gift wrapped" arm over your head. The resisting then the quick turn is what creates the space to get your arm back over your head and returned in front of you. The fist on the ground creates friction making it momentarily hard for your opponent to continue turning you.

The next one is when your opponent reaches under your head grabs your wrist and gets you turned on your side. Similar idea to the first: First resist(turning the opposite way they are trying to turn you. Then QUICKLY turn away from them in a FULL circle. This will unwind the "gift wrap".
These both are most effective from the mounted gift wrap, but some of these ideas translate to the sidemount.

Hope that helps

Won't both those escapes just give up your back? I mean, that's usually how I get out by giving up the back but it isn't really an escape. More of choosing the lesser of two shitty positions

Won't both those escapes just give up your back? I mean, that's usually how I get out by giving up the back but it isn't really an escape. More of choosing the lesser of two shitty positions

No,On the first its a 1/4 turn push the arm over your head and back ... notice on both moves I stated "quickly" on the second its the continuous spin that keeps your back from being taken. Sort of like a back roll to counter a double underhook pass, the continuous motion makes that move work. Now granted I left out a lot of details in the descriptions of these moves but just a general concept. I use these almost every time im in that position and have never had my back taken. There is one step after they get you turned on your side where they have the gift wrap and a double wrist grab(figure four grip) which sets up an armlock OR the back take. From there I've definitely had my back taken, but I try not to let it get that far.

A back roll without upper body control is completely different than a back roll with. Even if you're quick, they've already got one hook from mount.

thanks guys, yea it does show my lack of experience. if I remember correctly, once the guy had the gift wrap, I would hip away and try to give him my back...ie taking the long way out of it. he never really went for any sub with the gift wrap...it would always end up being a long stalemate for awhile. however it would frustrate the hell out of me that he could hold my wrist like that...so much that it's been awhile since i've been on the mat (recovering), and Im still up at night thinking about it.

thanks guys, yea it does show my lack of experience. if I remember correctly, once the guy had the gift wrap, I would hip away and try to give him my back...ie taking the long way out of it. he never really went for any sub with the gift wrap...it would always end up being a long stalemate for awhile. however it would frustrate the hell out of me that he could hold my wrist like that...so much that it's been awhile since i've been on the mat (recovering), and Im still up at night thinking about it.

That's the beatuy of the giftwrap. Once you have it, it takes almost zero energy to keep it. It gives you an incredible amount of control (raise posture, pull up on the hand, and the guy is on his side and you're in S-mount). Even if it's nogi and both guys are sweaty, the gift-wrapped person has so little leverage from the position that it's extremely difficult to get out of.

Soooo.... Don't get gift-wrapped.

Back