Escaping The Clinch

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, do any of you know of any great clinch escapes?

Which clinch - I assume you mean Thai clinch (hands behind neck), or do you mean over-under clinch?

My sugestion since it would be all but imposple to explain with out vids or atlest pix is get with your trainers friend who ever you work with and just work you way out of all 4, thai, over/under double over and double under, look at foot work simple arm lock hip movment ect

just hold the other guys body tightly and stall til the ref breaks it up!

ya.... if i cant get out of a thai clinch easily i push my hips in hard to prevent good wind up on knees then hold him tight in double underhooks till the ref breaks it

It's not easy to explain with words and not an actual opponent there to help you out, but if anybody can just type it up it's Kabuki.

If he really gets a good grip on your neck and you feel like your head is going to get pulled down, you can always grab around the waist and pull your opponent in really tight. The main thing in the clinch is keeping the guy very close and never letting your head get pulled down even when someone is putting all their weight on your neck. Muay thai is a sport, so basically, like the guys said above, the ref will break it up. Learn to control the clinch and you won't need to escape. But you need a good coach to really learn to fight in the clinch.

Definitely difficult to explain here but there are a lot of different little tricks you can use. Just locking them up as close until the ref breaks it is one way, as mentioned above. Personally I'm always trying to work my hands back to the inside around the other guy's neck. Not always easy to do with large sparring gloves though.

See my threads on The Clinch, and Closing The Gap, both of them have things to avoid being rushed and clinched and drills with which to practice them. Do the drills, put the techniques into practice in your sparring and they'll speak for themselves.

thank you so much for the replies! see that's what i love about sherdog, despite the occasional flame war, people really help you out.

Back