escaping a wrong-side crossface

notshayndavis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've always taken for granted being able to take the back of someone headlocking me on the side of my underhook from half guard. Lately though, against some strong heavy type guys, I've been unable to get out, and actually got passed that way.

Any advice on some subtleties to the escape and take their back instead of just trying to pry my head out?

As far as my experience is, if a good/heavier player control your head on the "wrong" (for you) side (the one where even if you free your head you can't take his back), then it's gonna be really difficult to get out without getting passed. You should prevent it on first place, anticipate his movement... never let him stabilize and grab your head from that angle.

Just my lowly blue belt humble advice :wink:

Aye, I meant 'wrong' for him though. I know you're supposed to just be able to counter by taking the back, which I usually can, but I was hoping for some more detailed technique against someone with enough strength and weight to keep me from just pulling my head through.

I don't know what to say, I have problems with that position only if:

1) the heavier guy is overhooking my underhook, then I have to go under him or create space to hit a single-leg like sweep
2) he was capable to pin me on my back, and then if he's really that stronger/heavier it's hell on earth to return on my side even if I've the underhook

As long as you're on your side and he's just holding on your head you shouldn't have problems in taking his back.

i find that if i take my underhook and really work it straight over their head, my shoulder into their shoulder, as i'm also 'digging' deeper with my bottom leg and maybe even smacking them in the ass with my knee, it's pretty much impossible for them to keep head control.

if they don't switch to the whizzer early, i'm pretty much on the back at this point.

We have a guy that refuses to believe he can't me there. He is a judo bb, and refuses to accept that he can't pin people like this. In any event... I have basically 3 defenses:

1. Rock back and forth like you are going to roll them over your body. Lift your knees to elevate his leg, it puts a little pressure on his knee and might actually get the sweep, but if nothing else, he has to adjust a little, which give you space to slip out.

2. Shrug your shoulder and pendulum down the body. Or give him the knee in the butt and just keep working down.

3. Last ditch thing that works for me when I get stuck death clinging to half guard from there, I just reach up with both arms gripping the gi around the elbow area, and just lift and loop his elbow over my head like I am giving an americana (but he is on the wrong side of the body). That seems to do the trick just about every time. If someone thinks this is a good way to pass, they usually think they can armlock you from there too, so they just give it to you. But even if they don't allow it, it works pretty well.

Back