Escaping a top lock from closed guard

So I am aware of the Tozi and have tried it previously, the bit I always struggle with is getting the legs separated at the end.

How is he doing that in that video-? i find that I can get people all twisted but cant get the legs separated- especially against insanely flexible guard players.

I'm pretty lightweigh- 65kgt and tried this against a BB in a recent competition , I definitely was applying pressure but couldnt get the legs opened. He had a really good closed guard and I couldn't get posture so I tried the Tozi.

The two main details are passing his bottom leg over into a far side cradle to finish, and using your knee as a wedge underneath his hips, which kills the mechanics of a pendulum reversal, along with most of his other good options. This can be done against more or less any kind of opponent, as all good techniques, and if they are really gumby, that can actually make it even easier.

Stapling their elbow or wrist to the mat and moving around it can also be helpful for getting them into position (and if they let you pass their arm all the way to the other side for a hammerlock, that's just extra gravy).

As well, when one is doing their sub defense/sub finishing drills (which like any good grappler one is doing, right?) with triangles and arm bars, the mat sense you develop there also helps your passing here, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Back