Escaping a Tight Headlock from the Bottom

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Steven Bickford, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Steven Bickford

Steven Bickford Banned Banned

Ok, so I know that experienced BJJers hardly ever use headlocks, either defensively (see Travis Fulton vs. Jeremy Bullock) or offensively, but I've found that it is still a very common move amongst beginning BJJ practitioners and in street fights. Therefore, I think that knowing how to deal with them is very important, but something that I still haven't grasped. One time I was rolling with another beginner and was about to take his back and actually had my hooks in, but before I could fully make the transition, he grabbed my head and literally just held me there pinned against the mat for 3 minutes. I tried my best to escape, but he had all of his weight pushing my neck against his arm and the mat and I felt like I had no leverage whatsoever. Now part of me is mad at him for just holding me there without making any effort to doing anything, but I also realize that I need to be able to deal with situations like that. I don't know if I'm doing the best job of explaining the position, but it was very similar to the position that this guy was in, but with hooks in (fast forward to about 2:20):

Video: Sheeesh: All This Cause He Left The Kitchen? "Carlito Mad Cuz You F*ckin Up His Grass"

I apologize for the retarded video, but that was the best example I could find. I remember seeing Roli Delgado get stuck in pretty much the exact position that I was during his BB test and struggling to get out of it, but I can't find that video.

Anyway, can anyone point me to videos or explain to me what you need to do to escape a headlock like that? I've seen a lot of videos about escaping a standing headlock or in other positions, but I can't find any about what to do when you are completely pinned to the ground like that. It's a frustrating position to be in.

2. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

1. Get to your knees.
    2. Take the back.

3. gannas

gannas Green Belt

there is a basic Gracie JJ self defense escape to this. I'll try to find the video and the variations if I can. He can break the grip with the inside hand and scoot out to take the back or use the outside hand to fish hook/eye gouge/bride of nose to pull him back to take side control.

Here is one good video.

4. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

get your elbow to block his hips, then you can get up your knees and take his back

alternatively you could make a frame off his head and arm bar him.

5. Steven Bickford

Steven Bickford Banned Banned

That is very helpful, thanks!