Escapes against higher belts

I'm thinking about checking out Gustavo Machado's "Great Escapes" dvd just to get more techniques to work with, but like I said, I don't really have any trouble escaping from white belts and even 90% of blue belts (whenever I visit other schools for a drop in). My instructor just shuts me down though.

I have the great escape dvd, and though its a good dvd, the positional escapes may leave something to be desired. The dvd is more geared toward submission escapes/counters.

Demian maia has a dvd dedicated to escaping side control,showing many options. It may be more what your looking for

I checked out the Demian Maia dvd, but they are sold as like a package deal of like, 6 dvds or something.

Really what I'm looking for are MORE ways to escape side control, work from side control, possibly reverse from there, and some solid principles. The short clip they showed of Demian Maia on the Side Control dvd looked great, but like I said, I would only drop money on the one dvd, not a series.

Demian Maia's dvd rocks (for escape side control, guard). But if you know of a better one, I would be interested ;)

That's what I love about BJJ, belts actually mean something. Not that I never tap a higher belt or that lower belts don't occasionally tap me but in general higher belts beat lower belts.

You're not almost a purple belt if you can't escape from his side control. When someone has you in side control never stay flat on your back. Another thing is sometimes the basic escapes (underhook escape and shrimping to guard) won't work that well on them so I mix in other escapes.

In these cases I bridge into them hard and when they push back I bridge away from them in the same direction they are pushing and flip them over and take side control.

Another thing I like to do is bridge into them to create space and turn away from them rolling to your knees. He may be able to get on your back with no hooks but I just move from here.

Sometimes I just bridge into him and turn into him hard going to my knees. Defend the choke and pull your head out.

Use Jaws Of Life, Lockdown, Whip Up, then Old School or Twist Back & Plan B depending if they post their leg out or in.

Problem solved. If you do that, you will be sweeping your instructor from your side control to his half guard or his side control.
Look these moves up in a Bravo book. I'm still sweeping higher belts with this combo,.... only problem I always have is what to do effectively once I get the position.

Basically my side control escapes are limited to either A) putting them back into my closed guard-or half guard, or B) escaping to my knees and working from there.

All my escapes work off of having your far arm under their arm (to protect against Americans, kimuras etc.) and my near arm is blocking their hip with my forearm. I was always taught that that is the arm position you absolutely have to have, protecting your far arm and your near arm elbow tucked in and blocking their hip.

I don't know Saulo's "running escape (I'm familiar with it, but have never tried it) and I really don't mess with things like triangles or anything like that from the bottom.

I'm thinking about checking out Gustavo Machado's "Great Escapes" dvd just to get more techniques to work with, but like I said, I don't really have any trouble escaping from white belts and even 90% of blue belts (whenever I visit other schools for a drop in). My instructor just shuts me down though.

I almost think I'd be better served to work my escapes against the purple than against the other guys in my class (there are only about 5 students counting myself, I train at a very small club in nowhere Montana).

Sounds like you have some good escapes but the purple in your class knows your setups. How do you do against purples and higher in other schools? Is the purple stopping one of the pieces of your setup? If so, you want to find an escape that uses a slightly different setup.

With only 5 people in your class it doesn't make much sense to not work on new side control escapes with all of them. Basically, until you can nail a new escape on the other 4 you don't have much of a prayer trying that new escape on the purple. Some of the less skilled guys aren't likely to mind starting in top side control, and when you escape and establish yourself (i.e. guard or on top) you should restart. That way you get to work on the part that you need the most (working on new escapes from side) and they get to work on an area they haven't spent much time with you (since your guard is better than their passes).

Use Jaws Of Life, Lockdown, Whip Up, then Old School or Twist Back & Plan B depending if they post their leg out or in.

Problem solved. If you do that, you will be sweeping your instructor from your side control to his half guard or his side control.
Look these moves up in a Bravo book. I'm still sweeping higher belts with this combo,.... only problem I always have is what to do effectively once I get the position.

your post makes no sense, jaws of life is a technique eddie uses to get the underhook, and lockdown is a half-guard technique of wrapping the leg, he is under side control, not half-guard, which makes your advice useless.

jailbreak

This is assuming he's flexible enough to do the move. Also, the guy on top can easily maintain side control by simply jumping to the other side whenever you try it.

also a lot of people will hold side control with an almost knee on belly, so the knee is nearly sitting on top of the hip, and you would have to be very flexible to do it then.

what is jailbreak? can someone post a pic/link of it?

Sounds like you have some good escapes but the purple in your class knows your setups. How do you do against purples and higher in other schools? Is the purple stopping one of the pieces of your setup? If so, you want to find an escape that uses a slightly different setup.

With only 5 people in your class it doesn't make much sense to not work on new side control escapes with all of them. Basically, until you can nail a new escape on the other 4 you don't have much of a prayer trying that new escape on the purple. Some of the less skilled guys aren't likely to mind starting in top side control, and when you escape and establish yourself (i.e. guard or on top) you should restart. That way you get to work on the part that you need the most (working on new escapes from side) and they get to work on an area they haven't spent much time with you (since your guard is better than their passes).

Whenever I roll against other purples I tend to not have as much trouble getting out of side control. My instructor is a very solid purple and I won't be surprised if he makes brown relatively soon. He invited a black belt down to our school for a seminar/testing and I won't be surprised if he gets promoted.

Even against most purples, they have a very tough time passing my guard, so much so that in some instances we just kind of have a stalemate with them unable to pass my guard and me unable to sweep/tap them. My guard has always been my strongest game (even back when started as a white belt) and getting it passed has become rare, especially since I joined up with this new club and there are so few guys.

Really I think its that my instructor just knows my set ups more than anything. I'd like to get some new material to work (as well as further refining what I already know, I'll let the lower belts start in side control/let them pass my guard also) but regarding the other posts, I'm not crazy about Eddie Bravo's stuff. I have one of this books and so many of his side control escapes are dependent on crazy flexibility. Just like Helio Gracie adapted jiu-jitsu for people who didn't have a size and strength advantage, I don't think that you should have to have super flexibility to be able to do escapes. It doesn't hurt, but you shouldn't have to sit around stretching all the time just to develope the flexibility to hit certain Eddie Bravo escapes, especially ones where he begins, "This escape requires a lot of flexibility."

I checked out the Demian Maia dvd, but they are sold as like a package deal of like, 6 dvds or something.

Really what I'm looking for are MORE ways to escape side control, work from side control, possibly reverse from there, and some solid principles. The short clip they showed of Demian Maia on the Side Control dvd looked great, but like I said, I would only drop money on the one dvd, not a series.

I hear ya, dvd's are expensive and addicting. Depending on what escapes you know, the maia dvd may be very different, alot of his escapes he will push on the guys head to break his balance/posture opposed to the more traditional/old school jiu jitsu frame based escapes. You can get a feel for maia's stuff from youtube.

I'd suggest asking your instructor ... seriously, that's what's he's there for. Because he knows you and your strengths and weaknesses he's going to come up with a lot better ideas than an internet forum.

Personally, what I find best is to have a classmate put a bottle of very good (at least) 12 year old single malt scotch just out of the instructor's reach when he has me tied up. When he breaks contact to get the scotch I make my escape. Though depending upon your instructor, bourbon might work better :icon_chee

Let people pass your guard.

I have the Machado dvd. It is more geared towards submission defense, but the positional escapes at the end of the dvd are very good. I especially like the ones for knee on belly and 100 kilos. He goes into 2 escapes in which you turn away from your opponent/turtle, and I like them better than Saulo's running escape.

your post makes no sense, jaws of life is a technique eddie uses to get the underhook, and lockdown is a half-guard technique of wrapping the leg, he is under side control, not half-guard, which makes your advice useless.

My bad, order of operations got mixed up when I was leaving. Hook his leg with your nearest leg from side control. Lift up his ankle with your leg, and weave your opposite leg under his. Interlock your legs to complete lockdown, then use jaws of life to get double underhooks, then whip up, and finally finish with a Old School or Twist Back & Plan B.

*Side note if at the beginning of this, he is using a compact side control, lift your knee closest to his leg, and weave your opposite foot into his inner thigh. Generate a bit of push off and angle your self into butterfly guard.

what is jailbreak? can someone post a pic/link of it?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ItfrhVzFOEE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ItfrhVzFOEE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back