Escape from backpack for a smaller person

orangeclay

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice/links on escaping backpack for a smaller person. While I can manage the basic escape (remove one hook on non-choking side using my hand or preferably my foot, scoot back on person's thigh, turn in keeping controlling pressure and rotate blocking person's leg) when drilling or live against someone my own size I don't seem to have a good plan for people larger than me - other than working by butt off not to get in this position in the first place. Today in class we were drilling with resistance this escape, and I realized yet again how very sucky I am at this. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Do you do the 2 on one back escape? Control the top arm with both hands, pass over your head to other side. Lower your hips until the opposite hook of the top trapped arm comes out, poke your head into the arm pit of the trapped top arm. Then turn into him by trapping the other leg. Watch out for arm bar at that time.

Do you do the 2 on one back escape? Control the top arm with both hands, pass over your head to other side. Lower your hips until the opposite hook of the top trapped arm comes out, poke your head into the arm pit of the trapped top arm. Then turn into him by trapping the other leg. Watch out for arm bar at that time.

Thanks! I have literally just started trying to work on that but don't really understand the mechanics of it yet and keep getting caught by the arm bar. I will keep working at it if it has the chance of helping against larger people.

Thanks! I have literally just started trying to work on that but don't really understand the mechanics of it yet and keep getting caught by the arm bar. I will keep working at it if it has the chance of helping against larger people.

I had the same problem. So taking the hook is not the problem, when you turn around, if he can "follow" to mount, it means you have not placed your head into his arm pit.

I had the same problem. So taking the hook is not the problem, when you turn around, if he can "follow" to mount, it means you have not placed your head into his arm pit.

Got it. I am looking forward to giving this a go tomorrow. Thanks!

Back