Erick Silva's gas tank is embarassing.. He should've wrecked Brown.

Did you also know that they have to train their lungs like a motherfucker? Not to mention their legs and entire body, even their neck. Its no surprise that they are usually lighter, like sumo wrestlers weight above 200-230lbs ususally

It comes with the territory. I still believe old school boxing conditioning should be a pre-requisite for most cardio dominant fight sports. Obviously some fighters have limitations [injuries/knee issues] but if you're otherwise healthy some running mileage should be a staple.

With the mileage your ideal fight weight should work itself out as well. Unfortunately I think this 'x-fit' style of conditioning is infiltrating far too many gyms [I see it a lot with boxers/mma gyms over here] and athletes are gassing well before they should.

Somewhere along the line the notion that circuits can be as effective as mileage for cardiovascular endurance has infiltrated fight sports & the athletes are poorly conditioned as a result.

Wouldn't necessarily attribute that to Ericks case though. He might be cutting too much water weight pre fight.

Let's send you take a beating by Brown for a round and a half and let's see how your gas tank is fat kid ...

Very easy to start stupid white belt thread with you ass behind your computer.

Wow you got it all figured out dont you?

Erick Silva has ONE weakness.. His gas tank. It's unbelievable that some professionals gas as quickly as they do. If Erick Silva had a gas tank, he would be undefeated. He gassed against Fitch and lost the deciding round, he was killing Dong Hyun Kim until he gassed and couldnt even hold his hands up, and he gassed against Brown in the 1st freakin round.

Brown is exciting as hell but he would get wrecked by any of the elite WW's. It sucks that Erick Silva can't patch up his one hole, which would make him elite. He had serious champion potential.

You don't sound like a Erick Silva apologist at all

It comes with the territory. I still believe old school boxing conditioning should be a pre-requisite for most cardio dominant fight sports. Obviously some fighters have limitations [injuries/knee issues] but if you're otherwise healthy some running mileage should be a staple.

With the mileage your ideal fight weight should work itself out as well. Unfortunately I think this 'x-fit' style of conditioning is infiltrating far too many gyms [I see it a lot with boxers/mma gyms over here] and athletes are gassing well before they should.

Somewhere along the line the notion that circuits can be as effective as mileage for cardiovascular endurance has infiltrated fight sports & the athletes are poorly conditioned as a result.

Wouldn't necessarily attribute that to Ericks case though. He might be cutting too much water weight pre fight.

I couldn't agree with you more.

There's a reason combat athletes have been doing roadwork for so long, it works. Not only that but it keeps your weight down as well. Circuit training is great and all but it's no replacement. Guys think they can flip a few tires, swing some kettlebells around and they'll be good to go. That shouldn't even be a thought until your roadwork is on point.

Dude...I throw SERIOUS heat. I have combos, decent subs and wrestling as well as a mean MT Clinch. SO what!!?? I have hit and miss mentality and a shitty gastank. Ericks problem is that he also throws hard for the whole 1st round...but if he doesn't finish the guy...he gets flattened. With Cains gastank I would also be a well known dude. It is what it is. ;)

He clearly blew a lot of his energy trying to muscle through the choke. Also, getting punched can empty your tank very fast. I was impressed he kept going as long as he did.

-Adrenaline dump
-Getting punched in the face makes you even more tired
-He throws lots of power shots
-Tried hard for the sub.

I dont know why this isnt obvious to everyone bitching about his cardio

There have been a few reasons why he gassed so fast mentioned, and IMO neither is still acceptable for a pro fighter that seems to be in great shape like him. I don't get it

this is EXACTLY what I am talking about, thanks man

Erick Silva is a PRO UFC fighter in great shape. How some punches or submission attemp gets him gassed until 2 minutes ????

Like you, I dont get it either. THIS IS STRANGE.

I dont know why this isnt obvious to everyone bitching about his cardio

Because he is a YOUNG, WELTER, EXPERIENCED, FIGHTER IN GREAT SHAPE.

If HE gassed 2 minutes into the first round, HOW IS POSSIBLE other fighters dont ?? It wasnt even the most exhausting MMA round ever.

He was running the entire time and winging punches...that's enough to make anybody tired.

I agree, with the little output he had kicking and punching I didn't really understand him gassing out. The fuck was that?

He has the skills but not the heart. Brown took his soul

your right....for some reason i watch these young guys run 3 miles a day...on machines for hours....then within 1 min of they get hit hard while sparring they get dizzy and act drunk...WTF.....

You would be tired too if you were in THE GREATEST FIGHT OF ALL TIME!!

His cardio is fine; he got extremely excited when he landed that kick and blew a ton of energy. Nervosity and excitement will drain you very quickly.

What a shit looking show.

Anyways. Yeah, Hopefully Erick can patch that hole in his game.

Great show...blasphemy to say otherwise.... Oh and yes, TS is right...Silva with a gas tank would have wrecked Brown... Body shot after body shot

He clearly blew a lot of his energy trying to muscle through the choke. Also, getting punched can empty your tank very fast. I was impressed he kept going as long as he did.

getting punched does not empty your gas tank, apart from body punches which do empty your gas tank because they actually paralyze you diafram which makes it extremely hard to breath.

But no, the act of getting punched in the head section does not make you any more or less tired. that is false. Also, being tired does not make it harder to be punched, silvais tough, he was tough before he was tired and was still tough afterwards.

Let's send you take a beating by Brown for a round and a half and let's see how your gas tank is fat kid ...

Very easy to start stupid white belt thread with you ass behind your computer.

We have a tough guy here....settle down Jr

getting punched does not empty your gas tank, apart from body punches which do empty your gas tank because they actually paralyze you diafram which makes it extremely hard to breath.

But no, the act of getting punched in the head section does not make you any more or less tired. that is false. Also, being tired does not make it harder to be punched, silvais tough, he was tough before he was tired and was still tough afterwards.

Nervosity drains your gas tank like nothing else; I've seen superbly conditioned athletes breathe heavy before a fight even starts because they are so tense and nervous. Same with excitement. Getting beat up on, building a fear of losing, is extremely exhausting, particularly when the opponent does not stop attacking.

You guys have never trained a day in your lives it seems.

Nervosity drains your gas tank like nothing else; I've seen superbly conditioned athletes breathe heavy before a fight even starts because they are so tense and nervous. Same with excitement. Getting beat up on, building a fear of losing, is extremely exhausting, particularly when the opponent does not stop attacking.

You guys have never trained a day in your lives it seems.

uhhh please... i have trained, way to assume.

Anyway, krelianx.

Yes, that stuff does make you tired, burning nervous energy quickens your breathing wearing out your lungs. thing is, that does not having anything to do with what i and limbo pete were talking about, so please... don't butt in with unrelated shit.

We were talking about taking punches causing you to get tired, any comments on that???

uhhh please... i have trained, way to assume.

Anyway, krelianx.

Yes, that stuff does make you tired, burning nervous energy quickens your breathing wearing out your lungs. thing is, that does not having anything to do with what i and limbo pete were talking about, so please... don't butt in with unrelated shit.

We were talking about taking punches causing you to get tired, any comments on that???

You missed the point.

My point is that taking punches, particularly when they are endangering you significantly, induce anxiety and nervosity, and that drains your energy quite a bit. It interrupts your breathing patterns, your body rhythm, and generates a very high level stress which constricts blood vessels and makes you winded. Also, damage from punches induces adrenaline dumps which, if not tired, makes you more lethargic and unresponsive. Gas is not only oxygen, but energy. Hormonal discharges by the brain are severely related to what happens in the fight and somatic stimuli.

I am explaining how it is that taking punches causes one to gas.

So, taking punches can cause one to gas out, yes.

Last edited:
Back