Eric Del Fierro: "We told Alex we thought we lost that third round."

MMATHEMATICS*

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
TLDR version: Gus' trainer Del Fierro gave the 3rd round to Gus, but at the same time thought the 3rd round could have gone either way.

Del Fierro scored the bout 48-47 for Gustafsson, but admitted Jones' performance in the fifth and final round likely sealed his victory. (The final scores were 48-47 twice and 49-46 for the champ, who broke Tito Ortiz's record for most consecutive title defenses at 205 pounds).

"When I was there live, I had Alex winning round 1, round 2, and round 3, but I thought round 3 could have swung either way," Del Fierro said. "We told Alex we thought we lost that third round.

"I think the championship rounds is what cost us. When I was there, I thought we lost the fourth round, and obviously we lost the fifth round. That fifth round we needed to cement the win. It was close, and looking at everybody's scorecards, people had it mixed. It was a super close fight, but we truly needed that fifth round to take the belt from him."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...sh-on-rematch-but-wont-scream-for-opportunity

That probably gave Gus extra motivation for Round 4, in which he looked real good in until he almost got finished at the end there. Yeah, I was pretty much feeling that whoever wins Round 5 would win the fight, but even then, I still wasn't sure.

I had it rounds 2,3,4, and 5 for jones.. Rd was close and could've swung either way but still..48-47,49-46, their are no awards for moral victories .. The judges got it right

It was one of those fights where I couldn't care less who won, I just completely enjoyed the fight. While Gus may have lost the fight he won the respect of everyone who saw the fight and may be in position to get PPV points from Dana in the future? He could have just cemented his financial independence for the remainder of his life.

Jon Jones not only won the fight but went a long way towards winning the fight against unfair criticism from non-admirers.

I had it rounds 2,3,4, and 5 for jones.. Rd was close and could've swung either way but still..48-47,49-46, their are no awards for moral victories .. The judges got it right

We all agree on 4 and 5 for jones. 1 2 3 are the ones being debated. I think a lot of people are giving it to Gus just because Gus looked the best out of everyone against Jones. I personally had it 345 for Jones. And could be argued either way for 123. Im perfectly happy with the decision.

Its always tough to win a title on a decision. And its impossible if you don't show up big in those"championship" rounds (hence the name). Gus has a bright future, his time will come .

It was one of those fights where I couldn't care less who won, I just completely enjoyed the fight. While Gus may have lost the fight he won the respect of everyone who saw the fight and may be in position to get PPV points from Dana in the future? He could have just cemented his financial independence for the remainder of his life.

Jon Jones not only won the fight but went a long way towards winning the fight against unfair criticism from non-admirers.

Agreed, in the big picture, as long as both fighters did not sustain long term damage, they both won huge having this epic battle regardless of scorecard.

he looked great in that round until the random lucky spinning elbow that probably wont land again

I would hardly call it "random" or "lucky". Jones was trying to hit Gus with that spinning elbow throughout the fight. He just finally managed to hit him full on with it that time.

That's what I thought. I don't remember how the judges scored it, did they have Jones winning the second or the third?

Judge Chris Lee

Rd. 1: Gustafsson 10-9

Rd. 2: Jones 10-9

Rd. 3: Jones 10-9

Rd. 4: Jones 10-9

Rd. 5: Jones 10-9

Judge Richard Bertrand

Rd. 3: Gustafsson 10-9

Judge Doug Crosby

Rd. 2: Gustafsson 10-9

I scored the fight Gus 1,3 Jon 2,4,5.

The first round Gus was landing very good to the head and the take down was massive even though nothing really came of it. The second I fell was Jons. He started to open up much more and landed at least one (or two, need to go back and watch again) really nice head kicks which was the biggest amount of damage landed by either guy. The third I scored basically the same way as the first. Gus landed a good amount of strikes to the head and you could really see the toll it was taking on Jon. Gus was winning the 4th hands down but it only took Jon about 90 seconds or less(?) to negate all fo that will some major damage that very well could have led to the fight being stopped. Obviously Jon took the 5th without question.

he looked great in that round until the random lucky spinning elbow that probably wont land again

HTF was it lucky? He landed it like 4 times in the fight, and timed it perfectly on that last occasion. It's not lucky when it lands in it's intended spot and you've landed many times before.

Judge Chris Lee

Judge Richard Bertrand

Rd. 3: Gustafsson 10-9

Judge Doug Crosby

Rd. 2: Gustafsson 10-9

Thanks. Kinda funny that the judge having it 49-46 and getting a lot of heat for that actually is somehow "supported" by the two remaining judges giving Jones respectively the second and the third.

Thanks. Kinda funny that the judge having it 49-46 and getting a lot of heat for that actually is somehow "supported" by the two remaining judges giving Jones respectively the second and the third.

Blows me away that anyone can call such a close fight a robbery.

I thought Jones won the third round as well. Glad I'm not the only one outside of Jones nuthuggers that agree. Round 3 I thought was a clear Jones round, and I still gave Gus the fight.

Its always tough to win a title on a decision. And its impossible if you don't show up big in those"championship" rounds (hence the name). Gus has a bright future, his time will come .

Cain made it look pretty easy

Back