Eric Cressey's Warmup

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Onericali, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Onericali

Onericali White Belt

I'm sure yall have some good warmups already posted on here but, here goes some of my fav info:

Cressey is my favorite guy in the industry. He doesn't do MA, but he is known for his warmups.

He made a DVD called magnificent mobility, which is awesome, but for a general warmup before hitting the weights, or doing anything for that matter, you'll definitely want to pick up his book: Maximum Strength.

The latter half in the book is all powerlifting stuff that, although generalized, is very advanced moves with chains, partial lifts, and not necessary..

BUT THE BEGINNING IS SO GOOD.

For example, the warmup I do, an option in the beginning of this book, which is like 10 bucks of amazon is as follows:

Foam rolling
    seated 90/90 stretch (unless you do the outter hip dynamically)
    warrior lunge
    scapular wall slide
    scapular pushup
    ankle mobilization
    uppertrap/ rotator cuff stretch (static stretching bad? not safe to do this dynamically doh, just take it easy)
    reverse lunges with reach
    bird dogs
    spider mans

Thats just the foundation, but it works pretty well.

I'm sure just doing MA drills are a good enough warmup, but don't be jumpin into the weights after just doin a few minutes of jump roap and a couple warmup sets!

Unless you a risky mofo that drives while texting, then maybe you should..

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I do the diesel crew shoulder warmup prior to my pressing, other than that I don't really warmup at all except for the light sets prior to worksets... maybe I should fix that

3. Onericali

Onericali White Belt

Haha maybe so. Probably depends a lot on the person too. Some peeps might be tight in the back, or the hip flexor or outter hip, etc... I think its a good habit though. Who knows, one day we get a weird twinge, then forget about it, then since we didn't warmup our entire body, we injure it.

4. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

I actually ramped up my dynamic stretching considerably with a fairly elaborate routine (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/g...conditioning-1152101/index2.html#post36553201) before lifting for a period THEN developed bursitis.

In my prehab, I've just included facepulls in every session but dumped most of my active stretching and the bursitis went away. Now I just do some arm pendulums, arm swings, wall angels, and asian squats and that's it.

Thought that was odd. But yea Cressey is good.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/good-warmups-before-s-p-work-conditioning-1152101/

5. Onericali

Onericali White Belt

nice.. thanks man, i will def check it out.

6. zx

zx adventurer

Good read PH.

I always do warmup since it decreases risk of injury (some big %), and increases muscle efficiency (read somewhere about it). My warmups lasts 10 min, and I get sweat at the end of it. Usually it is rotation movements for every biger joint, while skipping, and some streching.

7. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

I have the book and do that warmup before every lifting session involving the lower body. How did you end up with it so out of order???? lol.

I think its best for lower body lifts, I've began doing inside-out before I do any kind of pressing since I have had shoulder problems in the past.

I agree great resource but like anything else you gotta take your personal situation into account.

I also stopped doing the foam rolling pre-workout, felt like it relaxes me and extends the workout even longer. I now do his same routine at night or something when watching sportscenter.