1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Ergo Gel Spar 10oz

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by killedsirius, May 21, 2014.

1. StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

?? im not following, the general rule of thumb is sparring = soft, training = medium, bag = hard.

I still cant believe 10oz gloves came in at 16oz that's insane to me.

2. killedsirius Blue Belt

Yeah the weight is a little insane. My hayabusa 10s came in at 14oz so I guess it happens unfortunately.

3. SuttenMac Yellow Belt

For the most part, you're right. However, if there's one exception, I'd say a good pair of IMFs like the Ringside Pro-Style IMFs (once broken-in), could be used for both with little issue. Not sure if you would call that a medium-density foam, but they're forgiving enough for sparring and protective enough for bagwork. Of course using one pair for both would dramatically shorten the life of the glove, and it's just good etiquette not to use your bag gloves for sparring.

Kinda a separate thing, but I'm surprised that a gym would have routine sparring using 10 ounce gloves. I've been to more than a few gyms but I've never seen that, but I also live in the States. Sounds like you guys aren't playing around, that's for sure -- a regular gladiator academy.

4. killedsirius Blue Belt

Amateur fight gloves at 10oz have a rather large protective dome which isn't the worst in the world to get hit with if you're sparring. I've been there a whole year at this club and I've only been decked once and that was more do with a guy being a bit enthusiastic than the gloves. In all that time only one person had been "destroyed" amd that was for fight prep.

5. StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Yes Ringside IMFs are definitely classified as a medium density foam. But yeah, I really don't care so long the guy sparring has a good pair of gloves. Even when I get in a rush sometimes I just leave my "bag" gloves on to hit the ring.