Equality: Help a Young Grappler Accomplish Her Dreams

I wanted to play volleyball when I was in high school, but there was no boys volleyball team, only girls volleyball.

Can a high school boy in my school joins the girls volleyball team? This is a public high school mind you.

SubCH and others are incorrect on this. This girl is not wanting equality. What she is wanting is to wrestle for the team that she chooses.

With a little research, one can easily determine this case is not denying a girl the chance to wrestle. There are multiple public schools in the league which she can go to to compete. There are also multiple wrestling clubs that she can go to within miles of her home that she can also wrestle for. What she is asking for is not the opportunity to wrestle; it is to wrestle for the team that she chooses.

In addition, Title IV does not apply in this case due to the three prong test as long as the same proportion of opportunities exist for men and women. This means all sports combined. At Archbishop Ryan High School, males are actually the underrepresented sex, not females.

It is not very nice and it is easy for people to get angered by the decision of the religious institution, but it isnt what people are making it out to be.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to go to a Catholic school you're going to have to abide by their rules, no matter how much you might not like them.

Furthermore, "equality" would mean that guys could play on women's teams as well, something that very few people truly want.

Face it: what you want is not equality, but special treatment and the ability to force a private organization to do what you want them to do.

Not signed and couldn't agree more. I, however, say let her wrestle on the boys' team. That way, when she gets hurt, her parents can get blamed along with all of the idiots on here that signed the petition.

Feminists don't want equality. They want equal privilege without any of the added responsibility. Look at how registering for the draft works for an example. I was at the Post Office and there was a sign saying "Men ages 18-25 MUST register. IT'S THE LAW!" I'm sorry but is the FEDERAL LAW saying I MUST do something simply because of my gender? I thought we were "socially evolved" beyond this? I guess not.

By the way, after looking at what "social evolution" has done to the American family and society in general, no thanks. I think I'll stick to common sense instead.

Back