Equality: Help a Young Grappler Accomplish Her Dreams

I side totally with BJJ Beginner. Well said.

If this girl wants to wrestle so badly, let her change schools to one which will allow her to do so.

Ridiculous. Go to a different school. Alternatives are out there that are far better than that one, surely. Talk about making a problem out of nothing. If that's really "her dream" changing schools just to be able to wrestle should be pretty fucking easy.

And really, if you start arguing this and say that "oh no, this fucking CATHOLIC school should be more for women's rights." You are off your fucking rocker. It's a catholic school! It will be by it's very nature, discriminating. Hell, just having a CATHOLIC school, is in and by itself discriminating to other religions even. As all religion is! And I haven't even said a word about how different religions fundamentally discriminates women to begin with.

This is a non-issue. Change schools.

Last edited:
If women want to vote, they should move to a country that allows them to.

If black people want civil rights, they should move to a country that allows them to.

If gays want to get married, they should move to a country that allows them to.

If this girls wants to wrestle, she should move to a school which allows her to.

Wait...

So should everyone leave and go somewhere else when they're being discriminated against? Or should they stand their ground and fight for their rights?

If women want to vote, they should move to a country that allows them to.

If black people want civil rights, they should move to a country that allows them to.

If gays want to get married, they should move to a country that allows them to.

If this girls wants to wrestle, she should move to a school which allows her to.

Wait...

So should everyone leave and go somewhere else when they're being discriminated against? Or should they stand their ground and fight for their rights?

lol. yes, clearly the right to participate in a school sport is a fundamental right guaranteed under the constitution that our forefathers fought to guarantee us!!!!

Wait...

And FYI, private organizations can and do discriminate.

I don't know why anyone believes she has a right to wrestle. She doesn't.

Last edited:
I would first yield to the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States of America (SEE any number of SCOTUS rulings) then some far-fringe loon with nothing better to do than live on sherdog and be on the wrong side of every argument, ever.

In regards to that other preposterous argument you are wielding ... Read: do it very slowly. Now take a walk, payaso. - E

lol. yes, clearly the right to participate in a school sport is a fundamental right guaranteed under the constitution that our forefathers fought to guarantee us!!!!

Wait...

And FYI, private organizations can and do discriminate.

I don't know why anyone believes she has a right to wrestle. She doesn't.

Dude. Women's right to vote and black rights weren't exactly guaranteed by our forefathers either.

And private organizations that take public money are limited in what they can discriminate against.

And she doesn't have a right to wrestle per set, but she *may* have rights for some additional accommodation under title ix.

Shouldn't be able to strong arm a private school with differing religious views on the matter.

Not signing it.... Go to a public school if it means that much.

Am I too late to sign this?

I would first yield to the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States of America (SEE any number of SCOTUS rulings) then some far-fringe loon with nothing better to do than live on sherdog and be on the wrong side of every argument, ever.

In regards to that other preposterous argument you are wielding ... Read: do it very slowly. Now take a walk, payaso. - E

A far fringe loon that believes apartheid exists in Iowa, for example?

Maybe you don't understand what I wrote and I'm sorry. I think English is your second language, right?

Private organizations can and do discriminate (legally). This is a fact. Depending on the size of the organization certain laws may not apply, but that's a separate issue - I was merely referencing it for example. Your article that you posted is regarding LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY....In America, Louisiana is one of our states. The state designation indicates that this organization is PUBLIC, not PRIVATE.

I know that it's a tough distinction to make, but please try.

In this instance, if the school has been shown to accept federal funds, then yes, title ix would apply. And it likely does due to other schools in the diocese accepting fed funds (from the earlier cited precedent). If that is the case then she may have a basis.

In principle, though, I think it is ridiculous that she goes to a catholic school and then forces them to do something against their beliefs. It's hypocritical and she should change schools.

In this instance, if the school has been shown to accept federal funds, then yes, title ix would apply. And it likely does due to other schools in the diocese accepting fed funds (from the earlier cited precedent). If that is the case then she may have a basis.

In principle, though, I think it is ridiculous that she goes to a catholic school and then forces them to do something against their beliefs. It's hypocritical and she should change schools.

in principle, how ridiculous do you think it is that the diocese accepts public funds but doesn't want to abide by the rules that come with accepting those funds? more or less hypocritical? ;D

Things like this just go to show that religion is holding us back from social evolution

in principle, how ridiculous do you think it is that the diocese accepts public funds but doesn't want to abide by the rules that come with accepting those funds? more or less hypocritical? ;D

A fair point indeed.

I guess for me it just seems like this is the path of most resistance for the girl. If I put myself in her place, I would have switched schools. But I understand that comes with its own problems.

From the school's side, I can understand that from their religious standpoint it would be unacceptable for a girl to wrestle with males. If I have a teenage daughter, not from a religious but from my own perspective I personally would not let her wrestle with teenage boys. I'm sure most here would disagree, but I would not find that acceptable. I used to be a teenage boy once, after all.

If she finds that the values of the school are apart from her own values, why should she be at the school in the first place? Going through this process hurts everyone at the school, and results in a net negative for everyone involved IMO. Schools have more important things to deal with than one girl that wants to wrestle.

Moreover, the article stated this was the very first year of the wrestling team - if this has been so important to her, why didn't she switch schools earlier in order to get onto a wrestling team?

My own biases are clearly guiding my view on the subject, and I do see this in a lot of ways as an entitlement issue. Teen girl not getting what she wants, raising a fuss. I could be totally off base here, but this is just my knee-jerk reaction. I don't (none of us do, really) have enough facts to get into the legal aspects fully. So I'm giving my opinion.

Last edited:
Furthermore, "equality" would mean that guys could play on women's teams as well, something that very few people truly want.

Face it: what you want is not equality, but special treatment and the ability to force a private organization to do what you want them to do.

Modern Feminism in a nutshell, basically.

One can still sign the petition asking the private institution to change the rules and still support the private institution's right to have the rules of their choosing. It's not a dichotomy. No one should be able to force her institution to change the rules and if they don't then she should consider changing schools.

I hope they are persuaded and she gets her way.

A far fringe loon that

1. Post the exact quotation where I -- or anyone (besides you) -- stated that apartheid existed in Iowa. Please; I await the bountiful yields of your research, troll.

2. Louisiana State University, yes a public school, also received ZERO -- read it again and perhaps a lot more slowed down: Z-e-r-o. -- funding from the university itself or from the federal, state, local or any government within the multiverse, for its NCAA teams. They are self-funded, B. Maybe if you researched shit instead of spouting straight spoliation from your loins, your words would hold more weight. I have to ask: are you a paralegal or something? You might be the worst paralegal on Earth.

3. The private school this young lady attends, without question received federal funds for both the institution as a whole, and -- And! -- the fucking athletics programme. So in essence, what you are arguing vis-a-vis LSU Title IX precedence is completely assbackwards, and like one famous local litigator likes to say: you have no leg to stand on.

4. Please point out exactly where Title IX explicitly states that it is for public schools only and private schools possess free reign to discriminate. Please.

5. Address all the above points with bringing up unsourced mentions of Iowa or of which language is native to whom. In other words, refrain from completely irrelevant, immaterial, and nongermane nonsense.

This is not a religious problem, its simply an old fashioned school, with old style sexist views on womens place in society.

There is nothing in Christianity that says "women shalt not wrestle with boys".

1. Post the exact quotation where I -- or anyone (besides you) -- stated that apartheid existed in Iowa. Please; I await the bountiful yields of your research, troll.

2. Louisiana State University, yes a public school, also received ZERO -- read it again and perhaps a lot more slowed down: Z-e-r-o. -- funding from the university itself or from the federal, state, local or any government within the multiverse, for its NCAA teams. They are self-funded, B. Maybe if you researched shit instead of spouting straight spoliation from your loins, your words would hold more weight. I have to ask: are you a paralegal or something? You might be the worst paralegal on Earth.

3. The private school this young lady attends, without question received federal funds for both the institution as a whole, and -- And! -- the fucking athletics programme. So in essence, what you are arguing vis-a-vis LSU Title IX precedence is completely assbackwards, and like one famous local litigator likes to say: you have no leg to stand on.

4. Please point out exactly where Title IX explicitly states that it is for public schools only and private schools possess free reign to discriminate. Please.

5. Address all the above points with bringing up unsourced mentions of Iowa or of which language is native to whom. In other words, refrain from completely irrelevant, immaterial, and nongermane nonsense.

Its clear you didn't actually read my posts. In any case, LSU is a public school - they receive public funds and grants. It doesn't matter if their athletic programs specifically receives public funds; the institution does. As such the law applies. You do know what a PUBLIC school is, right?

Please show the source that this school receives federal funds without question. I stated very explicitly that the rule likely applied to the school due to the precedent earlier but apparently you have some information I have not seen which makes this concrete.

Title IX by definition does not apply to any institution that doesn't receive federal funds. I think its ridiculous that you have never even read the text: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."

What kind of shitty paralegal are you, anyway?

And to the last point, there are several exemptions to the law where private clubs and other organizations are allowed to discriminate. Even companies with fewer than 15 employees are exempt from Title VII of the civil rights act. There are many cases under the law where discrimination is not illegal.

Anyway, this is all absolutely irrelevant. Since you didn't bother to actually read what I wrote, I stated fairly explicitly that the problem I have with this stems more from a personal point of view than a legal one. Actually before I even looked anything up I said that the school likely has received public assistance and likely the law is on their side. So you're arguing with me for nothing. But well done.

Here is your quote comparing DJ Jackson skipping out on a warrant in Iowa after a conviction to the apartheid in South Africa:

No. I will not travel halfway across the nation to have a trial over a parking ticket. What world do you live in? Did you just call someone you do not know a "piece of shit self-centered deadbeat" because you did not agree with them and want to impose YOUR own personal beliefs on them? Class act.

If the system ITSELF is unjust, then woopty-fucking-doo. Wonder what the system had in store for South Africans that went to trial during apartheid. But hey, according to 'Balto' -- Sherdog's very own Judge Dredd -- they were pieces of shit for not showing up to court and getting the death penalty doled down to them by some racist officer of the court. - E

I mean, if you don't find the law just you won't follow it anyway, right? Viva la revolucion!

Now please stop talking to me, and refrain from doing so ever again.

signed. she should choke the church people though.

Back