Equality: Help a Young Grappler Accomplish Her Dreams

Signed! Good luck to her!!

It's a nice sentiment, but I think it's impractical. If you are a boy then there is nothing to gain if you win, that's what was supposed to happen. If you lose then that opens you up to humiliation and bullying yourself; you couldn't even beat a girl. It's a no win situation for the boys she'll face. I appreciate that she loves wrestling, but if there is no girls league then I don't think this will work too well.

Yeah you should wrestle other girls, if thats what this is about, I am 100% for it.

Leave the catholic church and I'll support you. Otherwise you gotta do what the pope and his minions say even if you don't like it. Who are you to question the "infallible" men who claim to do the will of god? Just be glad you're a girl and not a boy, otherwise you'd be getting sexually molested by these men of god.

Leave the catholic church and I'll support you. Otherwise you gotta do what the pope and his minions say even if you don't like it. Who are you to question the "infallible" men who claim to do the will of god? Just be glad you're a girl and not a boy, otherwise you'd be getting sexually molested by these men of god.

There are gonna be more and more protestors putting more pressure on the Catholic Church to stop being Catholic entirely. Just watch.

There are gonna be more and more protestors putting more pressure on the Catholic Church to stop being Catholic entirely. Just watch.

It would be nice if they just dissolved the damn thing, sold their billions of acres of property, and gave the money to the poor (like jesus would do). It will never happen though, a flock of pedophiles is not gonna give up their bastion of safety and justification. If there were no catholic church, they'd be nothing but a bunch of perverted pedophiles who would be in need of real jobs.

You have to abide by their rules, but you certainly have the right to request that those rules be changed. She's asking for people who agree with her position to let the school know. It's not like she filed a lawsuit, here, she's circulating a petition in an attempt to get the decision-makers to change their minds.

I take no issue with her petition. But I do take issue with her agreeing to go to a school that has a certain set of rules, and then - literally - claiming "inequality."

What exactly did she expect? It's not like she said any of these rules were hidden from her or that they changed the rules after she enrolled.

Hell, if I was the dean of admissions of this private school and held these beliefs, I would have refused her application had I known she was going to pull a turncoat stunt like this.

The school shouldn't have to change to comply with peoples' wants, it has a right to be unique.

However
On this subject, if they allow men to wrestle, then they should have to change. Unless, you agree with them being all, "girls are not allowed to wrestle because GOD!!!!11!"

No! Not if it discriminates on the basis of gender sexual preference or religion/lack of riligion.

It would be nice if they just dissolved the damn thing, sold their billions of acres of property, and gave the money to the poor (like jesus would do). It will never happen though, a flock of pedophiles is not gonna give up their bastion of safety and justification. If there were no catholic church, they'd be nothing but a bunch of perverted pedophiles who would be in need of real jobs.

Perhaps that actually would be best. Unfortunately, in the meantime, we cannot call ourselves a free society at all if we are trying to force and coerce Catholics to stop being Catholic.

I take no issue with her petition. But I do take issue with her agreeing to go to a school that has a certain set of rules, and then - literally - claiming "inequality."

What exactly did she expect? It's not like she said any of these rules were hidden from her or that they changed the rules after she enrolled.

Hell, if I was the dean of admissions of this private school and held these beliefs, I would have refused her application had I known she was going to pull a turncoat stunt like this.
At her age parents tell you where to go to school. And if people had you on social progress we would get nowhere.

At her age parents tell you where to go to school. And if people had you on social progress we would get nowhere.

Huh. Now YOU sound intolerant.

I'm a feminist, but I also respect people to pray and celebrate religion as they wish. If BJJ and MMA were that important to this girl, they would have pulled her immediately. But good in the girl for standing up for her beliefs.

Next you're going to tell Orthodox Jews they mustn't sit the sexes separately because you disagree with it? Please.

Which is why it is true than he and I should have from the start should have said that we place the majority of the blame on her parents, who were neglecting their parental responsibilities by either a. not doing their homework on this school before they enrolled her or b. expecting them to automatically stop teaching certain values simply at their whims.

And trying to enforce social progress like this is often the least productive way to do it. This is how you get resentment and bitter animosity of the worst kind. If she does end up using threats of lawsuits to get on the team, simply put she will not have the genuine respect of any of her classmates. If you are 40 or under, perhaps you know what high school is like if you know nobody in the whole class has an ounce of real respect for you.

Huh. Now YOU sound intolerant.

I'm a feminist, but I also respect people to pray and celebrate religion as they wish. If BJJ and MMA were that important to this girl, they would have pulled her immediately. But good in the girl for standing up for her beliefs.

Next you're going to tell Orthodox Jews they mustn't sit the sexes separately because you disagree with it? Please.

Feminist means something different form what it used to be. It was about making sure women were free to make their own choices without coercion from anyone. Now, it means statist tyrant bullies who simply want to be the ones doing the actual coercion.

Feminist means something different form what it used to be. It was about making sure women were free to make their own choices without coercion from anyone. Now, it means statist tyrant bullies who simply want to be the ones doing the actual coercion.

True feminism is equality between the sexes, which is what I subscribe to, not to be confused with that "womyn" sect. ;)

So, call me crazy, but maybe she should start with her parents?

In the end aren't they the problem? They sent her to a school with policies and ideologies that conflict with her goals, wouldn't the easiest way to solve this is send her to a school that doesn't have these in place?

To me starting this petition and trying to get the internet in an uproar over this is petty when if you don't like their rules, you could simply switch to a different school. Since, as others have said, this is a private Catholic school and are able to operate how ever they'd like.

Back