Equality: Help a Young Grappler Accomplish Her Dreams

If you choose to attend a private school, you have to abide by their rules. You can't rightfully expect a "progressive" policy from a parochial school. I think they'd be better off finding a secular private or public school. Or a martial arts competition that operates outside the boundaries of a school system.

Wait, so she wants to wrestle against boys? Not to be a buzzkill but that can be pretty dangerous in actual competition. The state I'm from in Brazil a 16 year old kid recently got his neck broken against a 20 year old guy in a Jiu Jitsu competition - the event was not supposed to allow minors to fight adults because of the strength disparity. I can only imagine the strength difference between a boy and a girl of the same age to be comparable to or greater than that, granted they're both athletes. I apologize if I got a wrong read on the situation but not allowing men and women to compete against one another in wrestling doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
Your position seems entirely reasonable to me. The younger the age, the lesser the strength disparity there is between males and females. However, some high school boys can be very physically developed and strong, especially in the upper classes. High school wrestling competitions do have weight divisions, which does lessen strength disparities somewhat, but due to weight cutting and people competing in multiple weight divisions, there can be significant differences in size and strength within weight classes, even when the competitors are of the same gender. Mixed gender competition only exacerbates all of these factors greatly.

Its a religious school. What do you expect? She should be blaming her parents for sending her there.

Because she should be able to wrestle there. That's what matters. She shouldn't have to switch schools. Her school should change and she is doing the brave thing by staying and hopefully changing that place.

That's what young people should be taught to do.

I can't believe I even have to tell anyone this.

yep

signed

let her play out her dreams

Because she should be able to wrestle there. That's what matters. She shouldn't have to switch schools. Her school should change and she is doing the brave thing by staying and hopefully changing that place.

That's what young people should be taught to do.

I can't believe I even have to tell anyone this.

Its a Catholic school though. Religion is supposed to tell you how to live your life, not the other way around.

hell if she can hang with the boys I don't see why not

You don't see why... they don't want... 16 year old boys.... grappling with this 16 year old girl.....at a Catholic school....

This actually might be a case of "better change schools if it's really your dream."

Change schools, it is a private school and they can run it the way they want.

I am very, very torn by this. On one hand, I think many of these traditional based arguments are often rather poor excuses for people who are too mentally and emotionally weak and insecure to contemplate the fact that there are young women who do not need to be treated purely by traditional norms.

On the other hand, in this case they may have valid, religious reasons for doing this and true religious freedom, religious tolerance and respect for other cultures means respecting the right of a privately run school to operate based on said religious customs. Did her family know this policy was in place when they enrolled her in this conservative, Catholic school? Did they anticipate this at all to begin with? I think it is always gonna be in issue if this contrasts with what the school actually teaches.

You don't see why... they don't want... 16 year old boys.... grappling with this 16 year old girl.....at a Catholic school....

This actually might be a case of "better change schools if it's really your dream."

my bad didn't forgot injustice is ok in the name of religion.

my bad didn't forgot injustice is ok in the name of religion.

Religious freedom means letting private schools be run how they want. I mean, they must have known the school at its believes when they enrolled her, did they think the school would just jump at their whims?

I watched a few of her Grapplers Quest videos and she's pretty good.

It is unfortunate since it seems like she is looking to be another female fighter in the vein of Ronda Rousey, Meisha Tate and Shayna Baeszler who becomes emotionally and mentally unraveled when everyone around them does not recognize how they must be right and how much of a special snowflake they are.

Are there any capable female fighters at all who DON'T have chips on their shoulders?

Why is this stickied in the UFC section?

And I'm not signing, screw that self-entitled attitude everyone has these days.

Make it happen dana

If there's no female competition then she can't compete. She shouldn't be allowed to compete against guys.

If you choose to attend a private school, you have to abide by their rules. You can't rightfully expect a "progressive" policy from a parochial school. I think they'd be better off finding a secular private or public school. Or a martial arts competition that operates outside the boundaries of a school system.

THIS is the post everyone I'm this thread should be reading - 100% true and accurate in all aspects.

I wish this girl well in her future endeavors, and bless her if she can get the rule changed, but this private school - that she willingly attends - has EVERY right in the world to leave the rules as is.

I live about 15 min away from Philly and my school allows girls to wrestle, they had about 2 girl wrestlers and they both cried every single day in wrestling and eventually quit, haha.

Back