Equality: Help a Young Grappler Accomplish Her Dreams

MFridley

Buckeye Fan
Staff member
Senior Administrator
Reaction score
A friend of mine -- and a mainstay in the Philadelphia Brazilian jiu-jitsu community -- sent this my direction and I was moved to share it with the masses on Sherdog.

Please consider taking a moment to help a young grappler accomplish her dreams. No money is needed or asked for, just a minute of your time and hopefully a signature to show that you support her cause and are willing to take a stand for equality in competition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/let-girls-wrestle-equality-for-amanda-leve

My name is Amanda. I

No girls HS wrestling in Pennsylvania?

WTF

Wait, so this is a school problem?

Change schools

hell if she can hang with the boys I don't see why not

Signed and sent to others.

Helping someone achieve his/her dreams is always a good cause.

Pennsylvania wrestling is #1 in the country.

Full of beasts. Goodluck is all I can say about that...

Signed

No girls HS wrestling in Pennsylvania?

WTF

Wait, so this is a school problem?

Change schools

No, not for girls. There is the wrestling program that is coed, but the Archdioceses, the Catholic school board, do not allow females to participate in coed sports. This is a private religious organization. I would like to think it would help, but they are a religious organization, so perhaps not.

Silly, girls should be allowed to wrestle. I've seen many girls beat the breaks off of boys in HS wrestling.

"I’m being discriminated against"

Realistically (and legally), it is not discrimination.
The school has its policies that fit their views and the student has her goals which fit her views.

What a cowardly thing to say.

How?

If she loves wrestling so much. There's a 5% chance she gets what she wants, I'm supporting her but damn. As it says the season starts in November (I can't wait btw) the shit can go on for a long ass time, she gets denied, then what?

Switch schools

Wait, so she wants to wrestle against boys? Not to be a buzzkill but that can be pretty dangerous in actual competition. The state I'm from in Brazil a 16 year old kid recently got his neck broken against a 20 year old guy in a Jiu Jitsu competition - the event was not supposed to allow minors to fight adults because of the strength disparity. I can only imagine the strength difference between a boy and a girl of the same age to be comparable to or greater than that, granted they're both athletes. I apologize if I got a wrong read on the situation but not allowing men and women to compete against one another in wrestling doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

How?

If she loves wrestling so much. There's a 5% chance she gets what she wants, I'm supporting her but damn. As it says the season starts in November (I can't wait btw) the shit can go on for a long ass time, she gets denied, then what?

Switch schools

Because she should be able to wrestle there. That's what matters. She shouldn't have to switch schools. Her school should change and she is doing the brave thing by staying and hopefully changing that place.

That's what young people should be taught to do.

I can't believe I even have to tell anyone this.

iirc there was a state placer some years back in PA that was a girl, if she can compete physically then I'm all for it. However, if it's just the school/religion then you might have to make a choice about your ideals/associations from here on out.... Because there are PLENTY of catholic boys that compete- meaning it's a gender thing with them apparently.

SIGNED and GOOD LUCK, but if it comes to it just join a local mma gym for your wrestling. Many of my buds from college are from PA and most of the gyms have more experience/knowledge than schools anyway (esp for MMA wrestling, <simplification> which is a stripped down style that typically relies on more athleticism and tight sub defense when getting TDs than slick/complex moves- many of which you will learn in HS wrestling and will NEVER use again).

Wrestling against young MEN where she thinks she can handle it? I'm sorry but I have a very hard time seeing her do well, maybe get a couple of wins but that's about it. As a poster said it's the schools policy, I don't see them budging for one girl who wants to go against the boys in the sport of wrestling, arguably the toughest sport in the world

I've seen this girl compete at Grappler's Quest and she is legit, her wrestling is much better than mine and she's a physical beast. And if I was allowed to wrestle in high school (I was nooooot good), she certainly should be.

Damn Catholic schools.

"I&#8217;m being discriminated against"

Realistically (and legally), it is not discrimination.
The school has its policies that fit their views and the student has her goals which fit her views.

I don't have a problem with her trying to get a school rule changed, and I signed. However, this is completely true. It's why I mentioned she might want to inspect her ideals if it includes dealing with groups that disallow her to do things she wants to do. I also don't really appreciate all the crap about "pass some laws to get my way" on the site. I dealt with Title 9 (directly relating to wrestling in fact) in my college years. Those kinds of laws never produce progress.

I don't know what this is: Archdioceses

Clearly this is an issue about religion. Who is this guy? why does he get to make decisions? why do you listen to him?

Back