Epic Review: 16 oz Ring to Cage C-17 Version 2!

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Introduction:

Greetings and salutations readers. So the new C-17 2.0 gloves have finally arrived. The first batch had a weight issue but now they're fixed and even better than before. I previously ordered 2 pairs but I stepped down and asked only for1 glove in exchange for their new Thai Pads. I had to work the system a bit but at least some lucky guy will get another pair of gloves from me! So who ever you are, you're welcome! In this review I'll be covering their TRUE 16 oz Marine Green hook and loop gloves. On to the review!

You can find my buddy Isaac's written AND video review here: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/ring-cage-c-17-v2-0-a-2610831/

Fit & Feel:

The glove is super comfortable and best of all it stays cool during workouts. I was concerned when I didn't seen any ventilation holes but then I noticed that they never got hot or stuffy. The new lining kept my hands cool. I'm use to their DriMax lining and those can get hot but this new lining is awesome. It's smooth and feels like satin. I'm thinking of using only this liner in custom orders from now on.

The gloves are a little more top heavy than before but it's not a bad thing since there is no flop. I find that the hook and loops have very good wrist support because the wrists are thickly padded and snug but also has more hand and knuckle protection than before. If I had wanted to maximize the wrist protection I would have taken a pair of lace ups. I went for convenience this time and glad I did. I'm able to use them a lot more frequently because the hook and loops are just so much easier for a quick 5 round workout in the backyard every now and then.

It's difficult to see to the naked eye but the wrists are slightly more tapered this time around. It looks slight but once you put it on you can definitely feel it. I have big forearms so I can feel it more than most would and while I thought the version 1 felt perfect because of their wide cut, I know others found the opening a little too wide. This new shape and cut should accommodate more users than before but shouldn't alienate super heavies.

The best part of the new feel of this glove is that it's already broken in so they're good to go right out of the box. I like it because they make opening and closing my hands easy. I can clinch, parry, grasp, hold and wrestle as soon as round 1 with these babies. The thumb is long and curved so it isn't doesn't get in the way when you're trying to tie up with someone. Now if you're a Muay Thai guy then the glove will work for you, but be aware that the grip bar is thicker than what you'll find on a true Muay Thai glove. Everyone will be able to make a tight and solid fist with these gloves because it's like grasping a roll of dimes when you punch. I'm not a fan of gloves where it feels like I'm just folding my hands over. I found it was just the right size and even my giant student who tried the glove found it to be comfortable for his fat ass hands! I found that the thumb length and position coupled with the right sized grip bar gave me the ability to squeeze my hands into the perfect fists.

The gloves are wide but I liked the fit. I found that it fit my hands well and I didn't get the sensation or discomfort of them being squeezed to death. They were perfect once I used wraps and to be perfectly honest, I found that the padding and wrists still provided me with enough protection that I didn't have to always wrap before punching the bag. I have a kid now and sometimes I can only squeeze in 5x2 minute rounds before it's daddy duty again. So I just slip it on and do a few rounds without wraps to try and maximize my time.

Quality & Craftsmanship:

These gloves are built like tanks. Not in terms of destructive power because they're built to last. I was amazed when I picked them up for the first time. The weight and feel of the glove really gave me a comforting sense of quality about them. The gloves are double stitched and each individual row was expertly done.

The leather is amazing. The colors pop, it's super thick, supple, and feels broken in right out of the box. The smell of the leather is incredible. You open the box and you smell the gloves immediately. It brought back memories of my mom's leather couch from when I was a boy. If you've ever owned a nice leather jacket or sat in a brand new car with leather interior you'll be reminded of it when you smell these gloves.

The craftsmanship is perfect on my pair. I had no problems with this glove. It's the most perfect piece of equipment that Ring to Cage has ever put out. I think it was the ability to concentrate on a small batch and the silence many of the people who harped on the gloves. Whatever the case would be this is their best work yet and that is saying a lot!

My buddy Isaac weighed the gloves and always asks me to weigh mine. They came in at a solid 16 oz each. The knock about the v1.0 is that they weren't on weight so I guess now that's taken care of they'll try to talk about the width of the glove? Eh, I don't know but we shall see.

Performance:

I believe that these are the best gloves to have ever come from Ring to Cage. It's their Magnus Opus. Great for training and excellent for sparring. They're the true definition of a work horse glove. They're padding is even better than before because they're finally true 16 oz gloves. I'm not going to compare these with other gloves because that would garner unpopular attention but they're gloves that have to be used to be believed. The padding is superb on these gloves. They eliminate all the shock from punching. When you put these gloves on and go to town on the bag or pads you'll notice that the hand is cushioned against blows on the hardest of bags and pads. It's not squishy when you punch so your glove doesn't feel like it'll roll. It just feels like as you punch the glove absorbs into the bag and your fist absorbs into the glove. They're not gloves that are going to bottom out even if you have tremendous power. Like I said, it has to be felt to be believed. I also like how the contact surface is flatter. Every time you punch it feels solid unlike some gloves where the top of the hand is rounded. I can land my punches solidly with my knuckles upon contact. It doesn't matter what angle I'm punching from, I can trust that I'll have proper alignment when I land my shots.

In my opinion these are great boxing gloves. They're thick and well padded so sparring is going to be safe for both parties. You'll have to put in extra power if you want to do some damage. It's the equivalent of getting hit with a heavy, high quality memory foam pillow. Partners won't complain even if you're both going to go heavy in the later rounds. Just be aware that they're wide and well padded so not all your shots are going to land through their guard every time you want. I didn't have a problem with this because it made sparring in my current setting much more fun. If I was getting ready for a fight then I'd probably switch to something a little narrower, but with nothing lined up I'm doing just about everything with these gloves.

Closing Comments:

There you have it. I have nothing bad to say about these gloves. They're incredible gloves and a definite must buy. If you're ever looking for a custom glove to get then I'd recommend these from Ring to Cage. I'm actually in talks with Mohsin for some but we'll see if they can get the dark purple I need. I do believe that Ring to Cage has corrected everything that was wrong in the previous models and even improved much of the glove. It really feels like a completely different glove and I urge everyone to order a pair. I highly recommend these gloves!

Final Score: 10/10

Nothing is wrong with them. They made all the right changes and the price that they're going to be sold at is awesome. You'll have a hard time finding a better glove for that price. I like these way more than their MiMs which also earned the same score from me years ago.

For those who don't like to read:

+Incredible leather
+Excellent foam padding
+Flat hitting surface
+Tapered wrists
+Good wrist protection
+Cool lining
+Great for sparring
+Can make an awesome fists
+Good thumb positioning
+Improved look and design
+/-Wide but it really will depend on the user

Pictures

Comparison Pictures
The Blue are of course the 1st versions, the 2nd set are all 16 oz, and the Cletos are 18 oz.

My 2.0s are on the way, I stuck with the gold because I like the way it looks on my 1.0s but I chose the Velcro this time and I'm glad I did.

I can't wait to get these, I was pretty bummed by the whole 1.0 fiasco so I'm super stoked for these.

Excellent review also!!!

Solid review. I've read many of your reviews and I don't think I've seen you put so much praise on a pair of gloves (besides the MiMs). I'm interested in a pair but haven't seen them on the R2C website, at least not yet.

Also, I think you meant "magnum opus" not "magnus." They both are a form of the word "great" so you were in the ballpark. It really doesn't matter all that much but I dk, just thought I'd mention it lol. Cheers.

Solid review. I've read many of your reviews and I don't think I've seen you put so much praise on a pair of gloves (besides the MiMs). I'm interested in a pair but haven't seen them on the R2C website, at least not yet.

Also, I think you meant "magnum opus" not "magnus." They both are a form of the word "great" so you were in the ballpark. It really doesn't matter all that much but I dk, just thought I'd mention it lol. Cheers.

talked to him today, they won't be available on the site until sometime after the beginning of the new year. right now he is filling the exchanges for the 1.0 and special orders.

as far as the review and pics, awesome job Clamp. one thing that surprises me from the pics is how the gloves look even wider than the 1.0 version. Strat stated that the gloves fit better than the previous version, but it would be hard to tell from the way they look. i wish he could round off the corners of the glove a little more to give it a more streamlined profile and so you could get through the guard more.

It's picture angle they're the same width brotha. Thanks for the correction. It's weird. I was taught magnus and even my phone Swypes that word.

Last edited:
Awesome review bro! P4P Reviewer Clamp the Champ is back!

Dat because the wrist was tailored in more. Clamp accidently put the 1.0 kind of sideways if you tilt your head so that the wrist would be straight you will see the wrist is also slightly off in the pic of the 1.0. You can see this more in pic 2 of the 2.0 vs the 1 when its palm side up. In the 2 it is slightly better angled. Also what you cant see is the 1.0 came in at 12oz and the 2.0 has MORE padding and came in true weight so your hand in the inside isn't nearly as huge feeling. Hope that makes sense.

Awesome review bro! P4P Reviewer Clamp the Champ is back!

Dat because the wrist was tailored in more. Clamp accidently put the 1.0 kind of sideways if you tilt your head so that the wrist would be straight you will see the wrist is also slightly off in the pic of the 1.0. You can see this more in pic 2 of the 2.0 vs the 1 when its palm side up. In the 2 it is slightly better angled. Also what you cant see is the 1.0 came in at 12oz and the 2.0 has MORE padding and came in true weight so your hand in the inside isn't nearly as huge feeling. Hope that makes sense.

yep, makes sense. I'm gonna decide this weekend about the color and call Monday about my pair. Thanks for the reviews gents.

Awesome review. I'm waiting for when they are released so I can get my set. These reviews make me anxious to try them.

Yeah Jaime, probably get Black to match your new GG headgear.

Yeah Jaime, probably get Black to match your new GG headgear.

I may do just that. If blue is an option, I may be tempted to go that route to match my Reyes headgear. That black is really sexy though.

I'm currently trying to get strats black hehehe ;-)

I may do just that. If blue is an option, I may be tempted to go that route to match my Reyes headgear. That black is really sexy though.

shiet bro, I know you have the capital, might as well do both.

Great review nice looking glove. Kind of reminds me of a Mexican style glove rather than a winning, just my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back