EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

It's like a game of Never would I ever....

No not the cheapest option, the most expensive option.

Disagree, but assuming you are right why would anyone want to use it when cheaper products are available.

It's like a game of Never would I ever....

Disagree, but assuming you are right why would anyone want to use it when cheaper products are available.

Chemistry.

I don't want to see it go back into residential construction or public construction again. I would want it to be limited to lab work, chemical manufacturing where asbestos is used but not in the end product, possibly in propulsion testing.

Last edited:
The ban in the USA allows certain exceptions. It is mostly banned in the USA and the only type that is allowed is chrysotile, the other chemistries are out. There were applications that were totally banned. What has happened is approval for applications have been streamlined and that may be a problem. They have never stopped letting asbestos in, they just limited the applications and had an approval process for use.

I am betting some labs in your country can still get permission to use it.

You can get a research exemption here, but you'd need to apply at both the national and state level.
Such as the labs tasked with cleaning up the "Mr Fluffy" mess.
No-one's bringing in pallets of asbestos material from Russia.

While it hasn't been used in new construction in many years it's all over the place . . . house siding, floor tiles, etc. As long as it's left undisturbed it's not harmful. But when you begin a renovation and find it you definitely need to remove it correctly.

Actually when it was banned here efforts were made to remove it where ever it could be.

Actually when it was banned here efforts were made to remove it where ever it could be.

Where is here?

My dad was on an asbestos abatement team for years . . . has to get the annual chest x-ray to look at potential spots on his lungs . . . thankfully he hasn't had to mess with that crap in a long time.

Where is here?

My dad was on an asbestos abatement team for years . . . has to get the annual chest x-ray to look at potential spots on his lungs . . . thankfully he hasn't had to mess with that crap in a long time.

Denmark

Wasn't it only a year or so ago that the US stopped using asbestos in brakes and clutches?

There are still applications where it is still the better option. In the past it was used in many applications that were very bad. The problem is understood now and it can be used without the problems of the past.

yeah, under the assumption everyone works by the code - and how many contractors do you know that work everything by the code ?

especially in the trump era where regulations mean fuck all

Don't fuck with asbestos, that shit will ruin your life in an instant.

I removed asbestos from old sheds etc. It's probably EU regulations.

I removed asbestos from old sheds etc. It's probably EU regulations.

They had tons of the stuff in our schools due to the fire resistant properties. Ceilings etc were all asbestos. They already started banning it in the 70s here.

They had tons of the stuff in our schools due to the fire resistant properties. Ceilings etc were all asbestos. They already started banning it in the 70s here.
I can't remember it being not-banned either.

They didn't stop using it in building products here until the mid 80s.
Slap on the wrist for James Hardie and that was the end of it.
Private lawsuits are still ongoing though I believe (they fled the country).

Don't fuck with asbestos, that shit will ruin your life in an instant.

I'm not so sure that that's how it works, but I agree with your sentiment.

giphy.gif

I'm not so sure that that's how it works, but I agree with your sentiment.
Yeah, I was always taught that one asbestos fiber getting in your lungs could f you up. I'd have to look it up.

I think Canada still exports a lot of this stuff even though it is banned for many uses.

Back