Eosin vs Kataaro? (purple)

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between getting an Eosin or Kataaro purple belt. From the few pictures I've found, it seems like the Eosin purple is brighter and pops more while the Kataaro seems darker, but it might just be the lighting and camera used in those pictures. Can anyone comment on the color? Do either / both stand out compared to other belts?

I got a Kataaro custom embroidered for my boss.

he's the CIO, so as a goof I had our company logo embroidered on it, with his name & title on a red belt.

took a while but they did good. Tom Katch over at Kataaro is coolbeans.

i would say go with eosin , but then again that's because when i ordered my belt from kataaro it came out with loose stitching , and a bunch of loose threads. great belt , but i regret not going with eosin when i could have .

i would say go with eosin , but then again that's because when i ordered my belt from kataaro it came out with loose stitching , and a bunch of loose threads. great belt , but i regret not going with eosin when i could have .

Thanks -- how long ago did you get the belt, and was it the deluxe version?

That is really surprising. My kataaro is a thing of perfection, no loose threads and basically parallel stitching

I bought my purple Eosin Deluxe belt back in Nov 2012 the day after I got promoted, knowing that I'm going to be at purple for the next few years AT LEAST. I thought I might as well splurge. I've been very pleased with how it's breaking in. I washed it once right after it came in the mail to get the creases out. After 6 months, the color has not faded and the belt is just now starting to droop gently at the ends when I tie it. It took about 3 months before it would stay tied. Up until then, the belt would become untied as I ran around the mat during warm-up, and it would never stay tied when I rolled. I expected as much, because the belt felt much more dense and stiff than Atama and Koral belts. Since I wanted a belt that would last a long time, my Eosin Deluxe was perfect. Currently, it stays tied usually for one 5-6 minute round, only becoming loose toward the end of the round.
In short- Eosin Deluxe is superb quality, dense (not overly thick), stiff, vibrant color, with long break-in period. Built for the long haul.

I've read a lot of reviews on both these brands, but they all seem to be for the deluxe belt. Can anybody with experience with the "standard" belt give some feedback on the thickness, quality and stiffness of the belt? How different are they besides the obvious width and rows of stitching as advertised? Thanks in advance

I ended up with an Eosin -- it's much darker than it looks on their site or in the couple pictures I've found. Actually one of the darkest purple belts I've seen, but it somehow reflects light and gives off a vibrant shine (probably why the pictures always make it look so light).

I also got a Kataaro street belt (lost my old belt, somehow), which looks exactly as it doe in their images, and is lighter than the Eosin.

What do people typically get embroidered on a BJJ belt?

Kataaro and Eosin have Facebook pages where they show their embroidery. It's pretty rare though to see an embroidered belt, other than for black belts (most of the black belts in my area have kanji embroidered on their belts).

Eosin mostly does kanji and names. Kataaro does a lot of school logos (they machine embroider, versus Eosin which does hand embroidery -- although Eosin can do school logos, it won't be an exact replica).

Hey everyone, when I was looking for a purple belt I searched all of these threads and still had questions. I posted a video on YouTube for those in the same boat! Here it is:

I went with Eosin Panther Deluxe belt in “soft”. After I got the belt I wish I would have got the firm version (standard firmness = Firm). So I talked to their customer service and they sent me a new one (long story), they also put “Jiu-Jitsu” in Kanji for free! The purple is very dark plum in color but fades a little to a normal purple. The firm version is much heavier and feels great. However, the soft version ties better with a smaller knot and feels better rolling with it. Both are outstanding quality belts. I posted a few videos with pictures if you are researching now. I show the thickness and slight color change. Check them out. One of the videos is linked above and you can find the others there too. I’ll add more as time goes on and as the belt changes. Hope this helps some of you!

Back