Entering my first tournament (NAGA).

Weonlywonsixtwo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The NAGA North American Grappling Championship. Been doing bjj around 3 months, 4, 1 hour classes a week, but a few weeks ago I started doing 6 classes a week. I know nothing about naga. All I know is, is that it isnt a pussy tournament. I think I'm pretty decent cause I'm tapping guys bigger and that have been training alot longer. Also I can keep my own with most blue belts. Should I go through with this? or is a waste of 75 bux?

I'm 16 and weight about 158 pounds.

http://www.nagafighter.com/nagc05_home.asp

Any tips? Pointers? Takedowns? Comments?

ThanX WOWST

Are you thinking of entering NAGA?

Sorry, missed the thread title! Sounds like it'll be a hell of a challenge!

mate you've had what 3 months at 4 /6 times a week, thats only 40 odd mat hours..

i didn' enter my first comption for about a year after starting

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
No it isnt, I can enter both GI and noGI devisions for 75.
So that means youre only getting 2 matches for 75 BUCKS if you lose both of them. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me. I want to see more submission wrestling tournaments use consolation rounds and such, so that everyone gets a decent amout of matchs to make it worth it.

Oh and if you meant, no it isnt single elmination, then enter! Sounds like a good deal, lol.

My devision is under a year of training. I think I have a fighting chance.

I asked a similar question here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=293173

I've only entered one competition. I had seven months experience going twice a week. I went 2-3 on the day. Because I entered some over 30 divisions I took home some medals. Looking back, I don't think my BJJ skills really held me down. If I had more competition experience I suspect I'd have done even better. One of my lossed was by submission when I was winning 9-0. It was dumb to try to make something happen instead of waiting for him to force something at that point.

I don't really have any advice to add that wasn't in my thread but I'd enter if you can spare the cash and get some competition experience.

Oh, I thought of one more thing. When you're going for a takedown, if you don't know what you're doing, do something, anything. Just keep him moving and off balance. Push foward make him fall.

If you're already on the ground and you don't know what you're doing, do nothing. Keep your arms and legs in tight and make a plan.

I say enter it, but don't expect much from yourself. Take it as a learning experience which you will learn alot from your loss. But hey you never know... you may actually win, or even just win a few matches.

If you got the money to spare then do it. Like I said don't expect much from your self and take it one match at a time. You will be suprised how much you will learn from a tourney. You will also know what are your weaknesses so that you can go back and work on them.

Wolverine
///

Oh also, dont worry about the point system. In fact go into this tournament, not even knowing a point system exist. DO KNOW THE RULES THOUGH, but totally disregard the point system. I say this because at the firts tournament I went to, I saw a bunch of people aiming for nothing but points, which is very stupid. Didn't see enough people going for broke for the sub. If you go into the tournament knowing the true goal (to tap the other person) you will flow alot better IMO. You also wont be as worried about positions and such. Its one of the reasons why I lost my second match due to a deicision.... Never again will I worry about points...if you aint going for broke, dont go at all.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Oh also, dont worry about the point system. In fact go into this tournament, not even knowing a point system exist. DO KNOW THE RULES THOUGH, but totally disregard the point system. I say this because at the firts tournament I went to, I saw a bunch of people aiming for nothing but points, which is very stupid. Didn't see enough people going for broke for the sub. If you go into the tournament knowing the true goal (to tap the other person) you will flow alot better IMO. You also wont be as worried about positions and such. Its one of the reasons why I lost my second match due to a deicision.... Never again will I worry about points...if you aint going for broke, dont go at all.
That throws away the whole concept of position before submission! I gotta worry about points, yes I know JJ wasn't ment to be won by points but wtf, if you can win you win. By the time of the tourney ill be training roughly about 4 months 3 weeks. I might have a fighting chance.

It doesn't matter how long other people waited before they first competed, if you and your instructors think you're ready you should do it, competing will really show up your strengths and weaknesses, it's going to be a great learning experiance.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
The NAGA North American Grappling Championship. Been doing bjj around 3 months, 4, 1 hour classes a week, but a few weeks ago I started doing 6 classes a week. I know nothing about naga. All I know is, is that it isnt a pussy tournament. I think I'm pretty decent cause I'm tapping guys bigger and that have been training alot longer. Also I can keep my own with most blue belts. Should I go through with this? or is a waste of 75 bux?

I'm 16 and weight about 158 pounds.

http://www.nagafighter.com/nagc05_home.asp

Any tips? Pointers? Takedowns? Comments?

ThanX WOWST
Go for it!
The gained experience (win or loose) is worth the $.
Yoou are a white belt and got nothing to loose but experience.
Your club peers will respect you for the effort!
Because you did not back out (no matter your skills/experience): you are representing your team and that the main idea!

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
So that means youre only getting 2 matches for 75 BUCKS if you lose both of them. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me. I want to see more submission wrestling tournaments use consolation rounds and such, so that everyone gets a decent amout of matchs to make it worth it.

Oh and if you meant, no it isnt single elmination, then enter! Sounds like a good deal, lol.

I was working at a grappling tournament here in Oregon just over the weekend and it was pretty sweet. I was working the stop clock so me the ref and the score keepers made it so that the smaller divisions had best of 3 matches and stuff. Most guys got at least 2 rolls in per division. Take into account, there was an open weight division for each level, and a no gi tournament. People could have ended up rolling at least 6 or so matches, sometimes more.

I am going to naga...will be my 2nd time...bring a good book...these things take FOREVER>

If you have $75 to spend, do it!

Back