Entering a big tournament in Toronto and wondering about HIIT training.

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I'm in the blue belt division. I have been training BJJ on and off for about 8 years and feel pretty sound at my level (I trained all through college and other stuff to so I wasn't to consistent ... before the trolls come at me over being a blue belt after 8 years).

I'm not worried about my technique, I'm worried about my fitness. I have two and a half months still to train and I want to up my cardiovascular fitness. It isn't bad because I've been training in Muay Thai for a long time and it really helped my cardio. I do want it to be at a new level though for this competition so I'm looking into some new types of training.

Anyone here have any suggestions to really get that cardio up? I'm looking into forms of HIIT (high intensity interval training) and it seems like it might be the best grind. Right now I do my regular Muay Thai routine every other day (45 min of bag work and about 20 minutes of just movement) and I go to BJJ comp class twice a week (hard rolls).

I want to win this one. This is the first BJJ comp where I feel like I want to "compete" instead of just go for the "experience"

First place will be good enough.
I think you already know the answer to your question.

I'm not worried about my technique, I'm worried about my fitness. I have two and a half months still to train and I want to up my cardiovascular fitness. It isn't bad because I've been training in Muay Thai for a long time and it really helped my cardio. I do want it to be at a new level though for this competition so I'm looking into some new types of training.

You're probably taking it more seriously than 90% of the people competing lol

You're probably taking it more seriously than 90% of the people competing lol
Good. I've competed in a few grappling tournaments before and had fun. Had a kickboxing match and had fun. I wanna go in and give it my all this time (preparation and mentality)

Just to be clear, you are looking to improve your cardiovascular endurance. So your wind? You don't want to be huffing and puffing searching for that breath?

Are you saying you are only on the mat 2 x a week or are they just your hard rolling days?
If it's only 2 days a week and you can do more BJJ just do that. If not I prefer 2-3 Long slow easy runs a week and to get my higher intensity training from my BJJ rounds.
You could do 2 easy runs and 1 interval session also.

It's hard to give much more without knowing your full background, training and injury history.

Disclaimer is I am a 10 year reformed No Gi white belt hobbyist who has only been back at this for a year and a bit.
Most of my experience is based off conditioning for military etc and doing BJJ as a hobby.

I ran Joel Jamisons 8 weeks out program before a blue belt comp and it worked a treat. It's basically what your after, 8 weeks of HIT to peak for comp when you've got a good cardio base.

Nothing magic, will see if the books still about.

Back