Endlessly Beginning, Forever Improving

Good lord, those nine rep sets look nasty just reading them.

Smolov Back Squat Cycle
7 x 275
7 x 275
7 x 275​

I don't know why, but I decided to quit today and go for a PR. I know it's not the best idea to veer from the program and use up so much energy, but I wanted to.

Squat
1 x 315
1 x 365 (new PR)
1 x 385 (PR)
0 x 405 (fail)
0 x 405 (fail)
.5 x 405 (quarter squatted)

I'm happy I got a new PR, but I wanted that 405 so bad. I'm not sure if I am happy about a new PR or disappointed to not get four wheels. Oh well, I'm trying again in two weeks, this time with a belt (god willing it comes in the mail soon).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hJiyJKk3bQk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hJiyJKk3bQk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My form sucked. I thought it was better, but watching the video I'm not too thrilled with it.

I'm really pissed off about my squat sucking and not being as far down as I had hoped it was. I think I'm going to spend the next 3 weeks working on nothing but form, until I have it down enough to start building up to a max again. After that, I'll start the second half of the Smolov cycle. Again, I'm ultra pissed off about this. I suppose I needed to hit a setback sooner or later, though.

I'm going to modify my rack, too. I'll get pictures up when I do it.

Bas Rutten Tapes
4 x 2 minute Boxing rounds

Push Ups
8​

I feel like ass. This was just because I'm pissed. I'm going to take the next three weeks to work on squat form, gain some wind, and do some easier lifting. My back is sore as hell after the last month of squatting, as are my legs. It's good, but I can use a change of pace. I think a nice shake up with bodyweight things (push ups, pull ups, dips, etc.) and cardio (boxing and, ugh, running maybe) will let me recover a bit and get charged up again to lift. I'll correct my form and try to improve my flexibility (really a longstanding issue with me) as well.

Don't get discouraged man! Keep up the hard work

Don't be afraid to take off a plate and work on your form man, you'll be happy later on that you did. Just look at it as part of your periodization.

Don't be afraid to take off a plate and work on your form man, you'll be happy later on that you did. Just look at it as part of your periodization.

I took a week off to recover and let myself get over a shitty squat form. It did really bum me out, but I'm ok now, and ready to get back to work.

I took a week off to recover and let myself get over a shitty squat form. It did really bum me out, but I'm ok now, and ready to get back to work.

Hang in there man and keep squatting. You are strong as hell, you just need to dial in the form and get the depth. Good job!

So I'm back at it, after too long of a layoff (a week and a half). I'm trying out some new things while I get my squat form down for the second half of Smolov. I made a routine today I'd like to follow for a few weeks while I work on form. I guess it can be considered a powerbuilding routine in a way, but I'm just trying new things to keep from boredom. The concentration I put on the 5 x 5 and then the Big Three kind of got a little boring after a while. I'm incorporating the Big Three still, but also trying out new things.

Bas Rutten Tapes
1 x 2 minute Boxing round​

Just a warmup before I stretch. I was barely even throwing, just getting the blood moving a bit. I'm putting an emphasis on stretching and warming up, so I can gain the flexibility I need for squats.

Back Squats
5 x 135
5 x 135
5 x 135​

I'm starting very basically right now, making absolutely sure to get as low as possible, at least to parallel. No way I'm letting my lower body strength I've gained go to waste because I couldn't hit low enough.

Incline Bench
6 x 135
6 x 135
6 x 135​

I was just trying these out. I don't really like it, so it might get the boot out of the routine. It's hard to set it up in my rack, too.

Power Cleans
6 x 135
6 x 135
6 x 135​

I'm starting to really like Power Cleans. I'm working a little bit on explosiveness, because I want to dunk a basketball.

Curls
10 x 50
10 x 50
10 x 50​

What the fuck? Why the fuck not? I took barely any rest between sets. They're not hurting anything.

Shrugs
6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225

Barbell Torque
10 x 45
10 x 45
10 x 45​

I saw these in the Men's Health Power book I bought a while ago. They made me want to puke. Rotational strength (and core strength in general) isn't one of my strong suits, so I want to incorporate some into the routine. Here's a picture, because I hadn't ever heard of them before:
0605_barbell_torque_200x200.jpg

You should be watching The Who Rock Honors on VH1. They kick some ass.

I haven't been around the computer much, so this is from a few days ago:

Deadlift
1 x 225
1 x 315
1 x 385
1 x 385
1 x 315

Bench
5 x 135
5 x 185
4 x 185
3 x 165​

Bench is going downhill again. Sucks.

Bent Over Rows
6 x 135
6 x 135
6 x 135

Close Grip Bench

6 x 135
6 x 135
6 x 135

Zercher Goodmornings

10 x 45
10 x 45
10 x 45​

I'm enjoying these.

Skull Crushers

10 x 50
10 x 50
10 x 50​

Not around the computer much. I didn't record a couple of workouts, but I'm getting into it again.

Zercher Good Mornings
10 x 45
10 x 45​

I love doing a couple of sets of these before I stretch out.

Back Squat
5 x 250
5 x 250
5 x 250
5 x 250
5 x 250​

Squatting fairly heavy again. I've been working on flexibility, so now the weight gets piled back on. It was hard at first but I started cranking them out towards the end.

Bench
9 x 135
9 x 135
9 x 135
9 x 135​

I'm working with a Smolov pattern on my bench. Fun stuff.

Shrugs
8 x 250
8 x 250
8 x 250

Curls
10 x 55
10 x 55
10 x 55​

All in all a decent workout. I'm busy lately, so I'm trying to squeeze all of this in in as short a time as possible. I'm making sure I get rest for the heavy shit, but the smaller lifts I'm hitting back to back.

Back