Ending with body shot?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by nottingham90, Jan 12, 2015.

1. nottingham90

nottingham90 Yellow Belt

What is the big deal on ending a combination with a body punch? I see it ALL the time with success. Although in the "manuals" it would say end it up high and I've seen on here a few say that also. What's the issue with this?

2. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

If I had to take a guess I'd say it's to get the opponent to cover his head and thus putting him in a defensive position so that he can't fire back as you exit. People are much more willing to take a body shot to throw their own punch than take a head shot to throw their own.
    But that's just my guess

3. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

If done correctly it will put the fear of God in your opponent. Nothing takes the starch out of me like getting hit in the body a few times.

4. Da Speeit

Da Speeit Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    a lot of times people either circle into them or are completely exposed. This won't happen to too many high-level guys, mind you, but to the average sparring partner, it's going to open them up a lot more.

Say he circles 15 seconds later; he's going to remember that body shot, and probably give you an angle on something else.

5. a guy

a guy Black Belt

When you hit to the body you're down low. If that's the end of the combination then it means you're gonna pop up and be there if the opponent decides to fight back.

Of course you see it used successfully, people get away with a ton of things in the ring. But there is a vulnerability if you're in with someone willing to go after it.

6. Da Speeit

Da Speeit Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Especially southpaws.
    Calzage was great at dropping guys dipping low

7. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

This actually stems from how many people started throwing body-shots improperly. Most people lean in and REACH down. Missing said type of shot, or not following up leaves you both open, AND off-balance. It's very difficult to recover from while still safe. Thus, you get countered MUCH easier. It's not that you cannot ever end a combination with a body punch, it's just that if you're not taught how to, it's not a good idea. So the maxim became not to do it at all.

8. shs101

shs101 Blue Belt

Knowing your backround with Mccallum, I figured you'd know what you're talking about when it comes to this. Kind of broad question, but what IS the proper way to end with a body punch then? I just don't see an adjustment to be made when ending with a body shot or following up with one. The technique (in my head) seems to be the same.

9. shs101

shs101 Blue Belt

I believe if you're going to end with a body shot have a good exit. Although someone like Sinister could prob throw some knowledge out there on this topic.

10. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

All combinations should end with a jab.

11. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

As long as your body punch doesnt leave you leaned, reaching, and/or wide open, you're good.

12. cshireman4

cshireman4 Purple Belt

I'm far from an expert and try to learn all that I can from guys like Sinister, Discipulus, etc...but one guy that seems to do it with great success is Nieky Holzken.