Ending MMA “leagues” would allow for better pay.

Dustin has almost 3m followers that he can market to every day....
And what does have to do with the price of beer or in-fight sports. A boxer with 3 million followes has the option to make even more money with in fight sponsors. A UFC fighter with 3 million doesn't have that option. There was a reason that UFC fighters were berating Reebok employees during meetings when the deal started.

Like I said, try to turn mma into boxing....why not.......
What's wrong with boxing? Don't they have any fans or big fights anymore or what? Did the Ali Act kill boxing?

And what does have to do with the price of beer or in-fight sports. A boxer with 3 million followes has the option to make even more money with in fight sponsors. A UFC fighter with 3 million doesn't have that option. There was a reason that UFC fighters were berating Reebok employees during meetings when the deal started.
A boxer of similar status in their sport will have less followers than the ufc fighter. Generally.

A boxer of similar status in their sport will have less followers than the ufc fighter. Generally.
Not really. Boxing is more popular than mma, especially among gen z. The sponsor market for boxing is still more valuable. Cherry picking cuts both ways, I can point at Ryan Garcia for IG

What's wrong with boxing? Don't they have any fans or big fights anymore or what? Did the Ali Act kill boxing?

Google trends shows the term ufc has 2x the traffic as the term boxing....both in the US and worldwide.

I know I watch mma a lot more than boxing and I grew up a boxing fan. It’s easier to consume and follow.

Not really. Boxing is more popular than mma, especially among gen z. The sponsor market for boxing is still more valuable. Cherry picking cuts both ways, I can point at Ryan Garcia for IG

Garcia has more than canelo and fury. Conor has more than Floyd plus joshua. Not sure what you’re using to draw your conclusion.

Garcia has more than canelo and fury. Conor has more than Floyd plus joshua. Not sure what you’re using to draw your conclusion.
That's the point, being in mma or boxing doesn't magically make a fighter more or less popular, it's mostly up to them as the individual. Given the choice of, I can have sponsors on IG and on my shorts or I can only have sponsors on IG, it's pretty clear which is the better choice for most fighters.

And it was some market research that came out last week I think, standard polling of recognition and interest for different sports for different cohorts.

Google trends shows the term ufc has 2x the traffic as the term boxing....both in the US and worldwide.

I know I watch mma a lot more than boxing and I grew up a boxing fan. It’s easier to consume and follow.
Ufc and boxing aren't comparable terms. Ufc is in the name of every ufc fight card while boxing is a general term that you might look up for a definition or history of. Boxing's popularity has gone downhill since the mid 20th century but it's not due to the Ali Act, it's because people have turned away from blood sports in general. The UFC might make watching MMA convenient (I guess) but people have no problem finding the MayMac fight or fucking Paul vs Askren if they want. Why shouldn't that be the model for MMA? Why shouldn't fighters actually be real independent contractors and not owned by a promotion?

Ufc and boxing aren't comparable terms. Ufc is in the name of every ufc fight card while boxing is a general term that you might look up for a definition or history of. Boxing's popularity has gone downhill since the mid 20th century but it's not due to the Ali Act, it's because people have turned away from blood sports in general. The UFC might make watching MMA convenient (I guess) but people have no problem finding the MayMac fight or fucking Paul vs Askren if they want. Why shouldn't that be the model for MMA? Why shouldn't fighters actually be real independent contractors and not owned by a promotion?
Yes fans can find big fights...

fighters sign contracts. They can sign with other promotions.

Why shouldn't that be the model for MMA? Why shouldn't fighters actually be real independent contractors and not owned by a promotion?

I’d argue superior organization and centralization is what made MMA grow so quickly in its short history. And furthermore I think what will allow to continue grow in the coming years

I’d argue superior organization and centralization is what made MMA grow so quickly in its short history. And furthermore I think what will allow to continue grow in the coming years
In some ways yes, but it's also putting all your eggs in one basket. Just like matchmaking, if the UFC gets it right, sweet, if they don't, then well shit. Not to mention the kind of star that the UFC has historically relied on (McGregor trashtalker mold) doesn't go over best with your normal American if you're wanting legitimacy and social cachet.

In some ways yes, but it's also putting all your eggs in one basket. Just like matchmaking, if the UFC gets it right, sweet, if they don't, then well shit. Not to mention the kind of star that the UFC has historically relied on (McGregor trashtalker mold) doesn't go over best with your normal American if you're wanting legitimacy and social cachet.

I’d argue that

A)There isn’t a particular type of Star UFC has relied on (Chuck, Ronda,Conor, Khabib are all vastly different and appeal to different demographics)

B) Trash Talking A-Holes, contrary to what Sherdog says, that did become stars have in fact added a lot of legitimacy and intrigue.

Americans love anti-heroes far more than do role models

C) The UFC’s real strength isn’t so much a singular stars but the massive portfolio of smaller stars that appeal to a variety of different demographics. The sum of their athletes is greater than the individuals

Blah blah blah people bitch about the UFC and Dana and refuse to accept that the UFC and Dana have done more to build the sport and fighter prestige and pay than anyone else.

I’m not saying to end promotions such as The UFC or Bellator or ONE, those should be kept and so should the belts (we need more belts in my opinion). But the exclusivity of fighters and the lack of cross promotional matches is what hinders mma fighters from touching real money. There needs to be a mma oversight commission that allows for purse bids and open negotiations amongst fighters and fights. We just seen this in boxing with Triller outbidding Top Rank for Teofimo Lopez’s next fight even though top rank is Teo’s promoter. (Also the fight is a mandatory and not even a big fight).

imagine If Dhiego Lima and Usman were to have an open purse bid for a fight? Or Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou?

I understand that boxing or Conor Mcgregor money isn’t exactly sustainable for mma but I truly want these fighters to get better pay and have a CHANCE to touch some real life money.

MMA Leagues are the reason the sport hasnt become a shit show like Boxing is. UFC has created a strong mma organization that has the highest standards, matchmaking and of course talent. The Idea your suggestion basically ends mma promotions. Exclusive talent is the key thing for mma organizations.

Boxing on the other hand is on a downward spiral. Shits embarrassing, look at todays Mayweather “he took my hat drama” for more info lol. Or Yesterdays Billy Joes tantrum over the ring size against Canelo. We dont need any tips from Boxing and more belts just dilutes the value of them.

So fighters getting less than half of what they deserve and being trapped into contracts is the price for growth?

So fighters getting less than half of what they deserve and being trapped into contracts is the price for growth?

Huh? That’s not what I said.

Frankly, I disagree with the premise of the question. No one is trapped. And deserve doesn’t exist in economics.

Huh? That’s not what I said.

Frankly, I disagree with the premise of the question. No one is trapped. And deserve doesn’t exist in economics.
Really? Your guy Jon Jones himself said he felt trapped by his UFC contract and was underpaid by millions over the course of his career. Is he lying?

Really? Your guy Jon Jones himself said he felt trapped by his UFC contract and was underpaid by millions over the course of his career. Is he lying?

A) As for being trapped

Personally, I feel he’s being dramatic. There isn’t a gun to his head. No one forces him to sign the contract.

And I’m not trying to be dismissive. I get some of what Jon is going through. I was a military contractor and I had to go through all sorts of bullshit but I knew what I was doing when I signed the contract.

B) As for being underpaid

Value is determined by market forces. And unfortunately market forces aren’t on his side this time— however there is an argument UFC may have unjustly manipulated market forces but we need to wait until the lawsuit resolved to render our judgement on that. Unless of course you have a doctorate in economics

Last edited:
A) As for being trapped

Personally, I feel he’s being dramatic. There isn’t a gun to his head. No one forces him to sign the contract.

And I’m not trying to be dismissive. I get some of what Jon is going through. I was a military contractor and I had to go through all sorts of bullshit but I knew what I was doing when I signed the contract.

B) As for being underpaid

Value is determined by market forces. And unfortunately market forces aren’t on his side this time— however there is an argument UFC may have unjustly manipulated market forces but we need to wait until the lawsuit resolved to render our judgement on that. Unless of course you have a doctorate in economics
I have several doctorates in economics and also one in bullshit detection

Back