Encompassing Athleticism and Fighting

Two days ago:
- 10% incline walk at 5,5km/h for 10 min
- Activation drillls
- Single leg deadlifts 3x8x40kg each side
- Rotational stepups 3x5x40kg each side
- Walking lunges with overhead carry 8kg
- Floor presses with 3x10x35kg - 1x10x35kg from bridge and single leg bridge position
- Situps, twists and misc

Today:
- 10%incline walk at 5,5km/h for 10 min
- Activation drills, lunge rotations
- Locomotives/footwork
- Floor press 3x10x40kg - some sets form bridge and single leg bridge position
- Forward and backwards walking lunges with overhead single arm carry 12kg
- Situps, twists
- Calf raises on incline board 3x20
- Reverse flys from kneeling plank position 3x10x6kg each side

I only have access to kettlebells right now and no rack or anything. I also can't run, punch or explode with my neck atm so I'll just do some short work every second day and work with what I have.

Here's a few shadowboxing vids from a few months ago:

- Bike 10 min
- Activation drills
- Floor press 3x12x40kg - some sets form bridge and single leg bridge position
- Depth jumps x5
- Dumbbell Squat jumps 2x6x40kgs
- Sumo stance dumbbell squats 2x10x40kg
- Walking lunges with overhead single arm carry 16kg
- Single leg rows 3x10x32kg
- Situps, twists
- Judo pushups

Im training about 3-4 times a week, just not logging. Was a little worn today so kept it short.

Today:
- 10% incline walk at 5,5km/h for 10 min

- Reverse crossover x10 each side
- Single leg kettlebell deadlifts 8x40kg each side
- Bendover kettlebell rows 12x24kg each side
- Pushups x12 with iso pause
- External rotation x10 each side
x4

- Locomotive and activation drills (lateral shuffles, lateral run, cariocas, skips, so on)

- Shadowboxing about 4-5 rounds

- Thoracic rotation, extentions, lunges and cossacks

Circuit:
- Reverse crossovers with bands 12 reps each side
- Banded rows x12 each side
- Serratus circles against wall 10 reps each way, each side
- Incline calf raises 20 reps + toe walk
- Squat row with band 10 reps each side
- Walking lunges with unilateral overhead carry kettlebell 16 kg
- Lateral walking with bands + 20 bw squats + 10 split stance squats each side + 10 weaves
x2-3

- Handstand
- Pushups

- Boxing footwork drills (jab and cross while moving all directions) + added band on some

If my neck holds up, I'll do more boxing work again and running. Get in some good cardio shape and work on my technique. I'll build it up slow, I think keeping volume manageable is helping a lot.

Last edited:
Warmup:

- Skips, lateral walks/shuffles, banded walks, single leg deadlifts, lunges, leg swings, standing hip rotations with band
- External shoulder rotations with bands, thoratic rotations and trap 3 work

- Boxing drills. Stepping with the punches, using the jab, moving circular and laterally, turning the hook over and moving backwards while punching. About an hour.
- Bagwork with a timer, combinations with speed, then rest for 10 seconds. About 15 minutes.

- Cleans, curls, shoulder press, banded work for post. delts, dips, lunges in all directions with and without band around knees
Basic footwork with bands arounds knees.

Vid from today:

Yep, neck hurts like a bitch. Seems like bagwork and explosive work is still a real trigger.

Worked out a bit after work, at work. It's pretty fun, we're a group of about 4 people that do it every wednesday (I do mon, wed, friday). Was a bit pressed for time because I had to go to my old fysio school and do some work on the article we're writing.

Warmup:
- Dynamic
- activation drills (glutes, thoratic rotation, hip rotation, balance)

Floor press, pike pushups, external rotation with band, draw and mid/post delt work with bands, various lunges in all directions, lunges with stepup/knees, single leg DL with kettlebells, cossack squats, pushups, handstand, sumo DL with kettlebells, held 2 in each hand because we don't have enough weight. A 20kg and a 12kg in each, which is really hard to hold on to at the same time.

Neck has been iffy, familiar old feeling and with that a lot of nausea the last few days. Working out today also triggered it today. It's seems clear that the training last time (punching the bag and explosive work) is what set it off again.

i am sorry to read all your neck trouble. what's the exact cause? i never got that...

Warmup:
- Glute bridges, banded marches, movement, rotation, more
- Balance work un stable and unstable surfaces, with eyes closed and open. A lot of single leg deadlifts as well.

- Supine glut med kickbacks with band 3x10
- Clams 3x10
- Reverse clams 3x10

Circuit:
- GH external rotation 10 reps each side
- Post delt work with band 12 reps each side
- Kettlebell rows 10 with 32kg
- Leg curl slides
- Glute bridges with kettlebells 40kg
x3

AMRAP pushups (just tried for fun, could do 34 clean ones).

- Handstand practice

Cardio:
- Stationary bike 25 min LISS, put in some HIT intervals for the last 5 min.

Stretching

Long week and have had a lot of stuff to do, feeling a bit run down and knee is hurting a little so I took it easy. Was good.

i am sorry to read all your neck trouble. what's the exact cause? i never got that...
Several concussions and subsequently "chronic" whiplash. My neck is very fucked up, but at least it's subsided a bit. Problem is that I can't do a lot of what I want to like boxing, wrestling, olympic lifts, plyos, jumps, and very heavy lifting without it getting irritated. And with irritated I mean dizzyness, severe nausea for several days, shooting neck pain which travels up my face, eyes watering and hurting and a few other goodies. I'm dealing with post concussion syndrome (PCS) concurrently, but it's improving somewhat. Neck and eyes are my two major problems.

PCS and chronic whiplash are just diagnosis where there's not really a lot evidence to support specific rehabilitation that works for everyone. I'm also not the best at actually seeking out the help that I simply can't give myself. Anyway, I'm not giving up on improving, not by a long shot.

ok. that's harsh.
my fucked hip joint ended my landscaping career and i had to quit lifting weights and all the fun stuff, so i can feel you a little bit.
you are a very well educated specimen so i am sure you will find a way.

get well.

Last edited:
ok. that's harsh.
my fucked hip joint ended my landscaping career and i had to quit lifting weights and all the fun stuff, so i can feel you a little bit.
you are a very well educated specimen so i am sure you will find a way.

get well.
Ah, you dont see any path to retuning to some of the activities? and fucked up how?

Thanks. Funny enough I'm actually co-writing a paper on PCS and how us physiotherapists can engage the rehab. Looking to get published hopefully later this year. There's just so much you can really know, takes a lot of years of both theoritical and, more importantly, practical experience to really put the pieces together. I've applied for a masters in humanphysiology so if I go back to school I'll also have some time freed up to go see some experts for my neck.

yeah, i see.

i got ostheoarthrosis of the right hip for over 10 years now. i am 38 and want to prolong the hip replacement as long as i can.
physical work in my field or any other heavy manual job is over. every sort of lifting weight, running, jumping or every other "athletic" movement indicates pain and just doesn't feel good in general.

it's ok. i tried a lot and just stopped every activity which results in trouble. i do many hill rides with the bike and calisthenics and i am ok with it.
i am fit and pain free for 90% of the time because i just avoid the wrong stuff. so it's fine.

i was very depressed for years because of this condition since i was very into the quick lifts, odd objects, heavy gpp, dinosaur training stuff and, of course, my physical labour jobs. i went to uni afterwards, got a bachelors in philosophy and sociology and ended up as a prehab and rehab trainer in a private club gym which is really the best job i could have ever wanted. so after all the crap i am happy again and don't regret anything.

so, maybe after all, some day you will find some positive outcome from your fucked neck.

all the best with your upcoming projects and thank your for your contribution to this forum. i have learned a lot from your posts and looked up a lot of stuff after reading them.

carry on...

I'm working out pretty consistently 3 times a week, just not logging. Always at work, after work.

Warmup:
- Banded hip/ankle work
- Banded shoulder work
- Serratus and core activation
- Wrist rehab (been doing a lot of handstands and hurt my wrist)
- Short foot drills
- Standard, lateral and rotational single leg depth drops

Main:
- Floor press variations 3x10x40kg kettlebell
- Walking lunges 3x40kg kettlebell
- Single leg deadlifts 3x5x40kg kettlebell
- Rows from single leg stance 3x10x32kg kettlebell
- Sumo deadlift 3x5x72kg kettlebell (holding two in each hand)

Circuit:
- Situps + twists
- Eccentric single hamstring curl slides
- Bottoms up press each side
x3

Cardio:
- Bike 20 min LISS
- Bike 5 min HIT, 15 sec on (+350 watt) / 45 sec off

Cooldown:
- Stretching and breathing from 90/90 position

yeah, i see.

i got ostheoarthrosis of the right hip for over 10 years now. i am 38 and want to prolong the hip replacement as long as i can.
physical work in my field or any other heavy manual job is over. every sort of lifting weight, running, jumping or every other "athletic" movement indicates pain and just doesn't feel good in general.

it's ok. i tried a lot and just stopped every activity which results in trouble. i do many hill rides with the bike and calisthenics and i am ok with it.
i am fit and pain free for 90% of the time because i just avoid the wrong stuff. so it's fine.

i was very depressed for years because of this condition since i was very into the quick lifts, odd objects, heavy gpp, dinosaur training stuff and, of course, my physical labour jobs. i went to uni afterwards, got a bachelors in philosophy and sociology and ended up as a prehab and rehab trainer in a private club gym which is really the best job i could have ever wanted. so after all the crap i am happy again and don't regret anything.

so, maybe after all, some day you will find some positive outcome from your fucked neck.

all the best with your upcoming projects and thank your for your contribution to this forum. i have learned a lot from your posts and looked up a lot of stuff after reading them.

carry on...
A little late response here.

Sounds like you made the best of it, hopefully you can keep finding ways to exercise around it, or perhaps even further ways to strenghten it.

Thanks man, it's much appreciated! I've always liked your contribution as well, so right back at ya. Btw, a bachelors in philosophy and sociology is good stuff. I think if I didn't go down this road I would probably have studied either sociology or law. Hope you have a good day and I'll see you around!

Haven't been logging in ages and probably wont untill I start at a gym again. Been staying in shape with various exercises, mostly kettlebells.

I ran the DHL relay run a few weeks ago, which is basically where you put up a team from work, and then each person (5) runs 5k, and you get a team score. There were 25.000 people the day we ran, so it's huge. Over 100.000 people in the span of 4 days, and it's only employees from around the capital.

SyUIOnw.jpg

Far right

I hadn't really trained for it, and I'm not a runner. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I've ran 5k in my life. Anyway, I finished at 24:24 which is not too bad considering, and I was pretty heavy at around 96kg as well. That was kinda fun actually, and I signed up for a 13,3km (8,3 miles) race in 2½ weeks from now. I don't really have time to get in running shape, but just finished for now will do. It's a fun challenge.

Training:
I ran for about 30 mins today after work, didn't calculate the distance.

Joined a real gym, first day. Been sick this week so just didn't do too much.

Warmup:
- Light shadowboxing/MT - Slips, rolls, pivots, rhythm, steady footwork
- Mobility - armswings, lunges, sidelunges, cossack squats
- Core - planks, sideplanks
- Dynamic - stretching, jumps

Front Squat:
- 8x40kg
- 2x5x60kg
- 3x80kg

RDLs:
- 8x40kg
- 5x60kg
- 3x5x80kg

Power Clean:
- 3x40kg

OHP:
- 3x8x40kg

Misc:
Reverse flys 2x8x8kg each side
Some light shadowboxing in the end for about 10 min to relax with

Last edited:
Warmup:
- Mobility - armswings, lunges, sidelunges, pullaparts and external rotation with band
- Core - planks, sideplanks, downdog
- Dynamic - leg swings, air squats

Benchpress:
- 5x40kg
- 5x60kg
- 3x3x80kg

Chinups:
- 3x6xBW
- Eccentric singles with leg raise

Back Squat:
- 5x40kg
- 5x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 2x3x100kg

Lunges:
- 2x5x40kg each side

Misc:
Offset Farmers Walk - 2x40kg
Passive stretching and breathing for 10-15 min to cooldown. Felt good.
Sauna

My neck has been absolutely fucked after last time I did regular squatting and benching. Can't turn my head, can't sleep, tingles and sensibility issues near the whole trap 1 and up the neck on the left side. Can't tolerate any weight near my cervical spine atm. I'll be sticking to front squats instead and not sure what I'll do about benching.

2/10
- 4km run in 20 min

3/10 -
Warmup:

- Stationary bike 5 min
- lunges
- plank, sideplank
- air squats

RDL:
- 8x40kg
- 8x60kg
- 8x80kg
- 3x4x100kg

Front Squat:
- 8x20kg
- 5x40kg
- 5x60kg

Power Clean:
- 3x40kg

Misc:
- Banded shoulder work (trap 3 + external rotatation)
- Reverse flys 2x8x8kg each side
- Stretching/breathing
- Sauna + cold shower

4/10 -
- Skate hops
- Banded lateral walks + lateral shuffles
- Banded footwork drills and shadowboxing
- 3x10x16kg flys

Warmup
- light shadowboxing for a few rounds. Straight punches, knees and kicks, then slips, rolls and pivots from a low stance.
- lunges, sidelunges, cossack
- ISO pallof press
- calf raises

Front Squat
- 6×40kg
- 5×60kg
- 2×3×80kg

Single leg RDL
- 3×4×40kg each leg

Chinups
- 2×5×BW
- Eccentric with leg raises