Emulation on the phone and gamepads ( I bought this)

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So, I bought this after I saw it on my Youtube page. What emulation programs shoud I get? I have a Galaxy S10. Do I need to root my phone? I'm mainly going to be playing PS1, SNES, NES, maybe PS2. What emulators do I get? Anything else I shoud know?

No, you don't have to root your phone. And just get the emulators with the highest review scores on Google Play. Pretty simple stuff.

I used to emulate GBA and ps1 on my Galaxy s6. I used the paid versions of myboy! and FPse apps for Android. Both worked really well.

No, you don't have to root your phone. And just get the emulators with the highest review scores on Google Play. Pretty simple stuff.
This is exactly what I did.

Is PS2 emulation on phones really a thing? What kind of framerates?
For emulation, I recommend RetroArch. Free, no ads, basically every platform supported. I've played NES, SNES, Genesis, and arcade games with no issues. It has PS1, PS2, N64, etc, but I haven't tried those personally.

So, I bought this after I saw it on my Youtube page. What emulation programs shoud I get? I have a Galaxy S10. Do I need to root my phone? I'm mainly going to be playing PS1, SNES, NES, maybe PS2. What emulators do I get? Anything else I shoud know?

This is what the Emu Wiki is for. For each system it lists the most accurate programs/apps out there for emulating that platform by operating system:
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Retroarch has been mentioned, and that's definitely the best central hub app (known as a libretro). You have to install different core nodes for each system to Retroarch. It can run many different versions for the same system, but there's usually a best one. For example, for the SNES, the most accurate emulator ever made is higan aka bsnes. It has a node that will run via Retroarch.
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/RetroArch
Google app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retroarch&hl=en_US
Is PS2 emulation on phones really a thing? What kind of framerates?
For emulation, I recommend RetroArch. Free, no ads, basically every platform supported. I've played NES, SNES, Genesis, and arcade games with no issues. It has PS1, PS2, N64, etc, but I haven't tried those personally.
No, there's still no good software. Hardware horsepower wouldn't be a problem with the top handsets. The top flagships (ex. iPhone 11 Pro, Galaxy Note 10) are significantly more powerful than the Nintendo Switch, now.

Gaming phones suck, check this bad boy.

Calling that "portable" is a stretch.

Phones are fantastic for emulation, now.

*Edit*
So I just saw you made a thread about this "bad boy" where you declare that you don't own it, and are seeking feedback.

Anyone here who own this device?

I'm planning of buying one.

I need your feedback.

Last edited:
I can't stand playing on a phone, the controls feel terrible. Plus I always get terrible lag, but maybe it's my phone being slow.

I can't stand playing on a phone, the controls feel terrible. Plus I always get terrible lag, but maybe it's my phone being slow.
What's your phone, what are you playing, what is your emulator, and what are your inputs?

If you're on a really low-powered phone from several years ago sometimes the most accurate emulator isn't necessarily the best one because it carries a lot more processing power overhead. If you're using a gamepad or external controls, and connecting via Bluetooth, that could be the issue if you're really sensitive to microlatency. You might try a different gamepad that connects via the MicroUSB port.

What's your phone, what are you playing, what is your emulator, and what are your inputs?

If you're on a really low-powered phone from several years ago sometimes the most accurate emulator isn't necessarily the best one because it carries a lot more processing power overhead. If you're using a gamepad or external controls, and connecting via Bluetooth, that could be the issue if you're really sensitive to microlatency. You might try a different gamepad that connects via the MicroUSB port.
I'm talking on-screen controls, they suck no matter what. Even if there's no latency at all, you still can't feel what you pressing and often have to look at the controls.
And I see no point connecting a gamepad to the phone, rather be playing emulator on a PC.

I'm talking on-screen controls, they suck no matter what. Even if there's no latency at all, you still can't feel what you pressing and often have to look at the controls.
And I see no point connecting a gamepad to the phone, rather be playing emulator on a PC.
Oh, well yeah. The virtual d-pads or analog joysticks are atrocious to operate. Only feasible with turn-based or slow play games like the old JRPGs.

That's why you should look into an accessory like the one the TS mentions in the OP. These came out back in 2011 or 2012, IIRC, and they've been refining them ever since (though it was the firmware and software that required refinement more than the accessory hardware, really). Still rough around the edges. PowerA (Moga series) and Matricom have been doing it the longest. Sometimes it's a gamepad, sometimes it's a dual analog controller with a built in stand like so:

811Ss1ZYRpL._AC_.jpg

I did the virtual control thing until I couldn't take it anymore. By 2014 I connected my dualshock 4 controller using an app called Sixaxis, which allowed me to map the hotkeys to the controller, but that required root. These don't require root.

Oh, well yeah. The virtual d-pads or analog joysticks are atrocious to operate. Only feasible with turn-based or slow play games like the old JRPGs.

That's why you should look into an accessory like the one the TS mentions in the OP. These came out back in 2011 or 2012, IIRC, and they've been refining them ever since (though it was the firmware and software that required refinement more than the accessory hardware, really). Still rough around the edges. PowerA (Moga series) and Matricom have been doing it the longest. Sometimes it's a gamepad, sometimes it's a dual analog controller with a built in stand like so:

811Ss1ZYRpL._AC_.jpg

I did the virtual control thing until I couldn't take it anymore. By 2014 I connected my dualshock 4 controller using an app called Sixaxis, which allowed me to map the hotkeys to the controller, but that required root. These don't require root.
I'd be interested in Razer handheld (I don't think it has a name yet). If it's basically Windows with gamepad controls that would be all I care about.
Looks like this:
switch-handheld.jpg

EDIT: I meant Alienware not Razer, my bad. Obviously looks different than the pic above

Last edited:
I just received the controller. It feels pretty good and it seems like it's built very well. I'm setting it up on PPSPP right now, a PSP emulator
\
It basically connects to your phone using blue tooth

I have nothing to say about phone emulators but I think your username/AV combination is a real winner.

8bitdo-mini-portable-bluetooth-gamepad-white-17.jpg

For phone emulation, I got an 8bitdo Zero. It was dirt cheap, fits on a keychain, has good battery life, and has enough buttons for anything pre-PS1.

8bitdo-mini-portable-bluetooth-gamepad-white-17.jpg

For phone emulation, I got an 8bitdo Zero. It was dirt cheap, fits on a keychain, has good battery life, and has enough buttons for anything pre-PS1.

My giant hands are jealous.

Back