Empyrion: Galactic Survival

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by Phelly2, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Phelly2

Phelly2 Purple Belt

Saw this EARLY ACCESS game on Steam and had to try it.

It's a survival game with a crafting system similar to Space Engineers.

Overview:
    So basically, you start the game presumably crash-landed on a desert planet next to a broken escape pod (which you can fix up and fly later) with an assortment of starter materials in the escape pod's cargo boxes. You use these materials--and various resources from natural deposits found throughout the landscape--to build yourself a base with the ultimate goal of fixing up your space ship and taking to the stars.

Along the way, you need to satisfy your hunger, which can be done by killing the local wildlife or growing various fruits and vegetables(and then cooking the ingredients), and also oxygen, which you must collect periodically from oxygen generators you may place in any natural water source.

Some of the wildlife is aggressive, and you will come across alien artifacts defended by automated weapons systems like drones and turrets(I haven't seen any actual aliens yet) so you will want to craft yourself a weapon and ammo, from which you may choose a handgun, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, laser rifle, and rocket launcher, and I believe that's it. Hopefully there will be more options to come.

Once you have built a decent base, you can start to build ground vehicles and/or spaceships. You can also mount weapons and turrets on these craft, with a similar choice in weapons. These will not only help you venture further out to obtain much needed resources, but also the spaceship will allow you to completely leave the planet, visit other planets, moons, and fight more alien drones in space. From there, you may build capital ships, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

My opinion:
    If you're into survival, and you're into sci-fi, I'd say this game is definitely worth your time and money(I loved it), but with the understanding that it's still in early development and there are some issues that you would expect from a pre-alpha game.

I'm amazed at the depth of the game. I thought I was just going to be flying space ships like in StarMade, but I actually felt like I was playing a first person shooter for the first few hours of the game until I could get my first small, weak spaceship off the ground. I definitely felt I was progressively gaining power, though, because while on my feet, I felt bullied and harassed by the aggressive wildlife & alien drones, but once I mounted that first gatling gun on my first spaceship, I mowed them down from the safety of the skies--but then found that there were greater challenges and more powerful weapons guarding greater treasures (usually large amounts of resources).

Also, after spending hours building my first spaceship, I felt quite scared going into space for the first time, knowing that if I was attacked and lost, that I would lose said spaceship. Eventually, that happened. I finally gathered the courage to attack a space station to find what secrets it held. The battle took longer than I expected, and I wasn't paying attention to how much fuel I had in my tank, and my engine died in the middle of battle, where I was blown to smitherines. Visiting other planets/moons was rather scary, too, for the same reasons. The moon, with no atmosphere, feels barren, and made me feel uneasy. It's not typical that games have that kind of affect on me, so that's why I give the game such kudos.

On the negatives side, mining and crafting takes some time (a little too much time) so patience is required to play this game, ESPECIALLY in the early game. My wife liked the game's concept, but was scared away by the learning curve because it's a little bit unforgiving, to be honest. There's no tutorial or anything, so I had to watch a few youtube videos and do a few searches to find out how to do very basic things in the game.

So like I said, I recommend it to fans of survival games and fans of the sci-fi genre, but with a grain of salt because of the learning curve (think Space Engineers or Starmade. Well, maybe a little bit easier than those games) and the fact that it has typical early access problems.

Sorry for the long read. I tried to keep it concise, but definitely wanted to give a good overview and tell you why I like the game so much.

Oh! Forgot to mention that you can play alone or co-op by connecting directly to your friend's IP, but there are no dedicated servers yet. Dedicated servers are in the works, though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Zer likes this.
  2. Conan Lerehcob

Conan Lerehcob UFC151 CPS BELT

European Union Always Support: Filipović, Imanari,
    Awesome. Thank you.

Was looking for a quick honest review like that.

3. echohead

echohead Black Belt

Early access seems like the first nail in the coffin for a game like this

warriorscommando likes this.
  4. Conan Lerehcob

What do you mean? Is there anything wrong with the game?

5. echohead

echohead Black Belt

well full disclosure I am not a fan of early release/unfinished/crowd sourced games in general.

I have seen many great IP's start with a good idea, get early released and a bunch of people check out the content unpatched then leave before the game gets full release.
    Or worse they keep saying they will fix things in the final 1.0 patch and just release garbage.

6. Conan Lerehcob

Fair enough, though when those are 20 bucks games I don't really mind, if it turns out great then nice if not then I get at least a good 50+~ hours of fun usually from the games I pick which is more than a lot of "AAA" games.

7. Teefs

Teefs Stevie Ray Belt

Searched the forum to see if anyone had made a thread about this game. I just picked it up over the weekend on sale for $10 and it's pretty addicting.

Is anyone else playing this at the moment?

8. warriorscommando

warriorscommando I will always protect you

Never ever gonna buy an early access game again because it encourages laziness and theft. For which the stellar, pun intended, example is Star Citizen.

9. Phelly2

Phelly2 Purple Belt

Early access is definitely hit-or-miss. I agree that it encourages laziness and theft.

I try to avoid it when I can, but sometimes you just can't resist. Especially if it's on sale.

10. Teefs

Teefs Stevie Ray Belt

Is Star Citizen even early access, though? I mean, is there any sort of client available that people can actually play and enjoy?

Empyrion is certainly in early development, but the game itself is perfectly playable and the devs seem to be adding content non-stop. Sure, there are some bugs here and there, but personally I've not encountered anything close to game-breaking.

Anyway, the concept of the game is a lot of fun. I haven't been able to put it down all week since I bought it.