Economy Employers struggle to compete with $600 coronavirus unemployment payments

Has your political tribalism gotten so bad that you now hold the erroneous belief that supporters of President Trump are incapable of any sort of act of honesty?

If that's the case, then you truly don't oppose President Trump or any of his supporters. You oppose a non existent caricature of President Tuump and his supporters that exists only in your mind.

When you spend day in day out providing “truth” for a man that lies every minute of the day, it should start to erode at your integrity with others. I’m sure @andnowweknow is speaking about Trumpers on this forum and not every single one out there.

If I use the word sheeple, then I must have a side? Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

The problem is that they can’t think for themselves and they have to attach themselves to one political side that tells them what to think and say.

The people who had to close their business, probably miss their business.

Those unemployment numbers must be fake, since you didn't have to experience it. Just a bunch of selfish folks itching to go to the titty bar. Your analysis is airtight.
It's not like this happened for no reason and things would have remained as they were. How many businesses would have closed down anyway and what effect would it have had on our economy if we just allowed the virus spread throughout our population all at once?

Yet my Father's wisdom keeps turning out to be true.

If someone won't give you a straight answer to a direct question, there's very good chance that person is a liberal.

Thus far, its been as reliable as a compass.

By your fathers standards, Trumps a liberal.

Has your political tribalism gotten so bad that you now hold the erroneous belief that supporters of President Trump are incapable of any sort of act of honesty?

If that's the case, then you truly don't oppose President Trump or any of his supporters. You oppose a non existent caricature of President Tuump and his supporters that exists only in your mind.
Get the fuck out of here. Caricature? The lyingest President in history. "We only have a few cases, soon to be zero, it's a good time to buy stocks..." Hahahahaha

It's not like this happened for no reason and things would have remained as they were. How many businesses would have closed down anyway and what effect would it have had on our economy if we just allowed the virus spread throughout our population all at once?
Florida opened early (also late to close)

deaths went down, charts flat and trending down. Don’t let facts spoil your argument.

Lol. Your sense of humor is getting better. The agricultural welfare China isn't paying for has really relaxed your shoulders.
He'd rather get a tax payer funded handout than sell his produce to China because you know... "winning". Any complaints about the billions in welfare his trade war is costing and the businesses that had to shut down due to all the tarriffs they had to pay? <{hughesimpress}>

are they getting more by taking the unemployment then by working?
Is that a trick question?
People on unemployment right now are making $2400/ month + normal unemployment benefits. So someone that made $15/ hour before is making ~$60K not to work.
$15 an hour is $30K a year @ 40 hours a week.
So peoples choices are: work 0 hours a week for $60K or work 40 hours a week for $30K.. hmmm.. wonder how that's gonna turn out.
How did lawmakers not foresee this being a huge issue??

They sure as shit do. Don't buy the hype Kong. While we do have some safety nets it's nowhere near the utopia you seem to think it is. I went through this stuff about 4 years ago so I'm not talking out my ass here. But that's another conversation.

So you’re saying you don’t have healthcare now? You 100% do have healthcare for your family and it’s nothing like the US.

I think they fucked up with the stimulus and it should had been $600 for people making $99k and work your way backwards.

my mom has a good union and they are letting them ride out the umployment before they re open their factory it is basically a paid 4 month vacation making 2 times their regular pay and that heroes act will make them essential workers iirc which will give them a possible extra 10 grand when they return as essential workers. the negative thing is 4 people got hospitalized and were in a coma at her job obese diabetics.

So you’re saying you don’t have healthcare now? You 100% do have healthcare for your family and it’s nothing like the US.
The fuck is wrong with your reading comprehension?

that is more than teachers make.
$1100/week is more than most people make in the US. Significantly more than most people make. $57k+ cash means you would have to have a salary of what, $85,000 paying payroll taxes? $90,000? To bring that $57k+ home at $1100/week?
That's what is fucked up about the way they did this.
One thing to remember for those in the money right now, unemployment is taxable income so you will owe a chunk depending upon how long you do draw it.

It is surprising so many conservative governments are willing to replace lost income with an amount untied to that lost income.

Might be a hangover from their experience in designing business subsidies.

Jokes aside, it is pretty strange.

You can tell which posters are kids when they act like 600 bucks makes people set for life
Super honest. Probably the most honest post ever made.

Maybe the problem is 600 bucks being worth more than some peopels jobs.
Um, 600/wk in addition to state unemployment is most certainly far more than a lot of jobs are worth. Did we skip right over the "fight for $15" and go straight to thinking $30/hr is the absolute minimum a job is worth? Not even, actually, because getting the same amount whether you work or not is still going to have most taking the free money for doing nothing.

Poor people aren't exactly known for making great decisions and being phenomenal with money, and this is incredibly short sighted. It might sound like a great deal to get $1000/wk now, but a lot of businesses will have to close and the jobs won't be there when the extra unemployment runs out. Taking the unemployment might get you more money over the next few months, but it's much less over the next few years.

Um, 600/wk in addition to state unemployment is most certainly far more than a lot of jobs are worth. Did we skip right over the "fight for $15" and go straight to thinking $30/hr is the absolute minimum a job is worth? Not even, actually, because getting the same amount whether you work or not is still going to have most taking the free money for doing nothing.

Poor people aren't exactly known for making great decisions and being phenomenal with money, and this is incredibly short sighted. It might sound like a great deal to get $1000/wk now, but a lot of businesses will have to close and the jobs won't be there when the extra unemployment runs out. Taking the unemployment might get you more money over the next few months, but it's much less over the next few years.
Depending on the price of housing from state to state, 600 doesn't even crack a months rent sorry mate

Depending on the price of housing from state to state, 600 doesn't even crack a months rent sorry mate
I can't imagine why you thought that was a decent point.

600 isn't a month's pay either, it's a WEEKLY addition to existing state unemployment. If you can't find a place for under $4,000/month, I would say that's just another example of the shitty decisions and being horrible with money I already talked about.

So were they homeless before? If they can't afford rent with $1,000/week now, where the eff did they live before? Nevermind that a lot of lower wage workers are dependents or have roommates, that is enough for a mortgage payment on an $850,000 house ffs.

I can't imagine why you thought that was a decent point.

600 isn't a month's pay either, it's a WEEKLY addition to existing state unemployment. If you can't find a place for under $4,000/month, I would say that's just another example of the shitty decisions and being horrible with money I already talked about.

So were they homeless before? If they can't afford rent with $1,000/week now, where the eff did they live before? Nevermind that a lot of lower wage workers are dependents or have roommates, that is enough for a mortgage payment on an $850,000 house ffs.
I think you'll find people paid higher prices prior to a global health event because you live in a capitalistic country in the 21st century

I was on unemployment for 6 months in New Jersey in 2017. It’s actually more money than you’d expect.

Back