Emerson souza and Mata leao in NY?

bjjnoob19822

White Belt
Reaction score
can you guys give me some reviews for emerson souza in baldwin ny and mata leao in cedarhurst ny? Im a noob and I have no idea which one to join. thanks

I heard good things about emerson souza but i googled mata leao and didnt find any info. whos the instructor and under who?

looked on their website and it looks like the instructor a gracie combatives guy...no info whatsoever though

yep I couldnt find any info on mata leao, I have no idea who the instructor is. thanks

The Cedarhurst one is bull. Emerson Souza is legit, my instructor trained with him back in the day.

But if you're in that area, come train where I train. Budokan Martial Arts, in Valley Stream. We're a Renzo Gracie Affiliate, and our instructor still trains regularly at the headquarters, and is a first degree black belt as well as MMA veteran. We have gi, no gi, judo, muay thai, and a JKD-based class called Sogo Budo. Free trial class, come by and check us out!

Long Island Mixed Martial Arts Nassau County Self Defense Valley Stream Karate Lynbrook MMA Classes

The Cedarhurst one is bull. Emerson Souza is legit, my instructor trained with him back in the day.

But if you're in that area, come train where I train. Budokan Martial Arts, in Valley Stream. We're a Renzo Gracie Affiliate, and our instructor still trains regularly at the headquarters, and is a first degree black belt as well as MMA veteran. We have gi, no gi, judo, muay thai, and a JKD-based class called Sogo Budo. Free trial class, come by and check us out!

Long Island Mixed Martial Arts Nassau County Self Defense Valley Stream Karate Lynbrook MMA Classes

actually that would be perfect for me, I dont live far from it. May i ask you how much is monthly? at emerson souza its $170 sign on fee and $150 per month with a 1 year contract. is that good?

BJJ I think is 150 per month at Budokan, regardless of contract. But you might want to check. And that's for unlimited classes. Pretty good rate for the area. Location is 123 Rockaway Avenue, between Merrick Road and Sunrise Hwy.

can you guys give me some reviews for emerson souza in baldwin ny and mata leao in cedarhurst ny? Im a noob and I have no idea which one to join. thanks

I train at Emerson's and hes legit......word on the street is (you didnt hear this from me) but he's supposed to be getting another BB from Brazil to join Emerson's school.....I may have overheard that it was Andre Galvao first black belt.....cant verify this info just yet. Anyways the Cedarhurst school used to be associated with Emerson's but they broke off the relationship. Check out the website and stop in for some free classes. Emerson Souza Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I train at Emerson's and hes legit......word on the street is (you didnt hear this from me) but he's supposed to be getting another BB from Brazil to join Emerson's school.....I may have overheard that it was Andre Galvao first black belt.....cant verify this info just yet. Anyways the Cedarhurst school used to be associated with Emerson's but they broke off the relationship. Check out the website and stop in for some free classes. Emerson Souza Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

do you happen to know a guy named milton? he is a purple there. i met him before and he has some sick judo.

do you happen to know a guy named milton? he is a purple there. i met him before and he has some sick judo.

I think I may have rolled with the guy at my school once. Big heavy dude? Likes to bite and rip at your fingers a bit? A big judo guy from Emerson Souza came to the Budokan for a few open mats and I believe he's a purple now, so it may be the same guy.

I also train with Emerson. Milton is legit. He got his purple in December, I believe... and he has a black belt in Judo.

TS, I train with Emerson. He's great. He's a 3rd degree Carlos Gracie Jr. black belt (Gracie Barra), and has won the worlds a few times. Very down to earth, and very knowledgable. Everyone at the school is great. There's no egos, tough guys or bs there -- everyone is humble and willing to help you out. Come down and try out a free class: (516) 868-5000.

As for Mata Leao...they were once affiliated with Emerson, but decided to get their blue belts through the Gracie Combatives program(which is all learned in two weeks and then taught from videos) and teach Gracie Combatives.

If you have any other questions, PM me. I know how hard it is to step on that mat -- but trust me, it'll be the best, most humbling experience of your life. It'll change your life.

TS, I train with Emerson. He's great. He's a 3rd degree Carlos Gracie Jr. black belt (Gracie Barra), and has won the worlds a few times. Very down to earth, and very knowledgable. Everyone at the school is great. There's no egos, tough guys or bs there -- everyone is humble and willing to help you out. Come down and try out a free class: (516) 868-5000.

As for Mata Leao...they were once affiliated with Emerson, but decided to get their blue belts through the Gracie Combatives program(which is all learned in two weeks and then taught from videos) and teach Gracie Combatives.

If you have any other questions, PM me. I know how hard it is to step on that mat -- but trust me, it'll be the best, most humbling experience of your life. It'll change your life.

I thought you trained at Scarola's? Did you switch?

I train at Emerson's. I've trained at other places and been to other schools, but I'll be honest with you. Whenever I go to a class, I always learn some new trick that helps my game. This guy is like Harry Houdini with a gi. It's ridiculous.

And Milton is a purple belt now and legit tosses me around whenever we train takedowns. Its rough.

*Update*

I joined Emerson Souza last night, lots of fun felt like a fish out of water though but I will get used to it. everyone there is really cool, cant wait to go back tonight. thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

*Update*

I joined Emerson Souza last night, lots of fun felt like a fish out of water though but I will get used to it. everyone there is really cool, cant wait to go back tonight. thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

*Update*

Welcome to the family! I'll see you monday. I trained at noon today. What's your name?

Back