emelianenko santos fight

Monson doesn't have much of a choice, his rematch with Aleks it will be a bare-knuckle boxing bout from what I read, not MMA; which makes zero sense since the Snowman is a grappler first <{hughesimpress}> I hope I'm wrong...

Their 1st fight was pretty cool, that was a huge upset win for Monson back then. Guess Aleks doesn't want to risk getting north-south'd again.

... that sucks, Aleks is such a decorated Sambo champion, how come his skills there never translated well to MMA? Because he fell in love with boxing, and even after his dreams were crushed in 2009, he kept thinking he had world class hands?

Such waste of talent.
Only fight I'll be REALLY excited about now would be against Datsik.
MMA, boxing, kick-boxing, bare-knuckle boxing, just lock these 2 in an arena and take my hard earned v-money <{JustBleed}>
I think I saw a few weeks ago info that Monson-Emelianenko was rescheduled for Spring 2022.

Again, I think now even retired Monson would crush him in standup (whose standup was always shit - though his grappling skills were world-class) - it's that bad.
Last I saw Snowman had trouble walking, he looked terrible.
Surprised to see his fight against Fedor was 10 years ago. Really contemplated going but finances didn't work out in the end.

Help me out here, which one was the welterweight? ^^'
I thought about Fedor vs Hendo, but Dan was a WW in name only, since in PRIDE it was the weight class equivalent of today's UFC MW (up to 183 in PRIDE, 185 in UFC)

with that welterweight comment I wa referefing to Santos who subbed Aleks and who has fought at Welterweight

If you want to expand this discussion, the record that the Emilenenko bros have against lighter fighters is pretty dire

Fedor was

1) Knocked out and outwrestled against Henderson and in the early stages of the fight he was not looking "safe" in the standup aganst Dan.

2) Was cut open and taken down by Mat Lindland and stopped the second takedown by cheating and grabbing the rope, that fight may have gone very differently with if the takedown was not illegally stopped.

3) Was KO'd by Maldondo but the ref was connected to Fedor and wasnt able to quickly call it on time as he was confused on what to do, Fedor later "won" a decision but everyone knew it was a the wrong call, Maldonado got screwed twice in one night.

4) Technically his first loss it to TK, who under today's MMA landscape would not be a heavyweight. Randleman who is really a juiced up 205'er slammed him on his head, Coleman who is really a juiced up 205'er had some early success against him.... Sonnen, a middleweight, gave him more trouble than Frank Mir...

His brother (a true heavyweight) was KO'd by Ismailov (Middleweight) and submited by Santos (Welterweight)

I think the narative of Fedor cutting down to 205 and dominating there is pretty much fantasy, he obviously struggles with lighter fighters.

Last edited:
with that welterweight comment I wa referefing to Santos who subbed Aleks and who has fought at Welterweight

If you want to expand this discussion, the record that the Emilenenko bros have against lighter fighters is pretty dire

Fedor was

1) Knocked out and outwrestled against Henderson and in the early stages of the fight he was not looking "safe" in the standup aganst Dan.

2) Was cut open and taken down by Mat Lindland and stopped the second takedown by cheating and grabbing the rope, that fight may have gone very differently with if the takedown was not illegally stopped.

3) Was KO'd by Maldondo but the ref was connected to Fedor and wasnt able to quickly call it on time as he was confused on what to do, Fedor later "won" a decision but everyone knew it was a the wrong call, Maldonado got screwed twice in one night.

4) Technically his first loss it to TK, who under today's MMA landscape would not be a heavyweight. Randleman who is really a juiced up 205'er slammed him on his head, Coleman who is really a juiced up 205'er had some early success against him.... Sonnen, a middleweight, gave him more trouble than Frank Mir...

His brother (a true heavyweight) was KO'd by Ismailov (Middleweight) and submited by Santos (Welterweight)

I think the narative of Fedor cutting down to 205 and dominating there is pretty much fantasy, he obviously struggles with lighter fighters.
Some of this is not true though.
  1. Fedor was not taken down by Lindland in their fight. There was only one takedown in that fight.
  2. Fedor was not KOed by Maldonado in their fight. Terrible performance to be sure, and he took a lot of damage obv. But not KOed.
  3. The ref in the Maldonado fight was not “connected to Fedor” or his team. The issue was that after retiring, Fedor became head of the Russian MMA Union, a position he still held at the time of the Maldonado fight. That union was responsible for assigning refs. So certainly there was a conflict of interest, but no personal connection between Fedor, Fedor’s team, and that ref.
That said, I do think there’s merit to your point overall—Fedor does much better when he has a distinct speed advantage. I don’t disagree with that, I’m just pointing out a few inaccuracies.

Some of this is not true though.
  1. Fedor was not taken down by Lindland in their fight. There was only one takedown in that fight.
  2. Fedor was not KOed by Maldonado in their fight. Terrible performance to be sure, and he took a lot of damage obv. But not KOed.
  3. The ref in the Maldonado fight was not “connected to Fedor” or his team. The issue was that after retiring, Fedor became head of the Russian MMA Union, a position he still held at the time of the Maldonado fight. That union was responsible for assigning refs. So certainly there was a conflict of interest, but no personal connection between Fedor, Fedor’s team, and that ref.
That said, I do think there’s merit to your point overall—Fedor does much better when he has a distinct speed advantage. I don’t disagree with that, I’m just pointing out a few inaccuracies.

I rewatched the Maldonado-Fedor sequence in slow motion and he does not seem to get knocked out, so I guess you are right on all 3 points. None the less that Maldonado fight leaves a bad taste in any Fedor fan's mouth.

I rewatched the Maldonado-Fedor sequence in slow motion and he does not seem to get knocked out, so I guess you are right on all 3 points. None the less that Maldonado fight leaves a bad taste in any Fedor fan's mouth.
For sure. Just a really disappointing performance from Fedor all around in that one.

Back