emelianenko santos fight

maximmm

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

That was brutal. The videos we saw of Emelianenko looking like he suffered some sort of massive medical emergency involving his brain were no fluke. In those videos, he was mumbling rather than talking and had the same blank stare that Muhammad Ali had in his latter days.

Well, while he's gotten a bit better recently, when compared to those dire videos, it's quite clear that he's no longer able to fight the way he could once upon a time. We need to keep in mind that his biggest advantage over his opponents were his boxing skills. Here, he hasn't made one proper punch - as in, he never fully extended his arm, as if his control over his arms was limited. In addition, his pace and his reaction speed are all significantly diminished.

In the post--fight comments, he asked for a rematch and Santos granted it. Having said that, in 12 days, Emelianenko has a fight coming up against aging Monson. Monson is a cool cat, but he hasn't had a fight in 5 years and was never that quick, but I have a suspicion he'll be faster than AE. If Monson doesn't take a dive, I think he'll win and that will be the end of AE's career - hopefully.

Here is some dire news. This is a post-fight interview with the president of the AMC fight nights. He said AE looked great, and he'll have plenty of fights at this promotion moving forward. The reason why he lost, as per el presidento, is because he was never that great on the ground. The fact that AE's standup game was non-existent is not something he mentions - lol
I'm now hoping that Monson will keep the fight standing just to prove a point. Monson is a grappler with a subpar standup skillset - but right now, even his standup is likely better than that of AE.

He looked absolutely awful, I put a little bit of money on him (thankfully still up on the night as I knew Pronin is shit) as Santos isn't even an especially good MW. He had one decent trip but as soon as he lost top position it look like he mentally gave up to me.

He looked absolutely awful, I put a little bit of money on him (thankfully still up on the night as I knew Pronin is shit) as Santos isn't even an especially good MW. He had one decent trip but as soon as he lost top position it look like he mentally gave up to me.
If AE fights Datsik, put a million dollars on Datsik for a big payout. The odds of Datsik taking a dive are zero -

I'm now hoping that Monson will keep the fight standing just to prove a point. Monson is a grappler with a subpar standup skillset - but right now, even his standup is likely better than that of AE.

Monson doesn't have much of a choice, his rematch with Aleks it will be a bare-knuckle boxing bout from what I read, not MMA; which makes zero sense since the Snowman is a grappler first <{hughesimpress}> I hope I'm wrong...

Their 1st fight was pretty cool, that was a huge upset win for Monson back then. Guess Aleks doesn't want to risk getting north-south'd again.

... that sucks, Aleks is such a decorated Sambo champion, how come his skills there never translated well to MMA? Because he fell in love with boxing, and even after his dreams were crushed in 2009, he kept thinking he had world class hands?

Such waste of talent.
Only fight I'll be REALLY excited about now would be against Datsik.
MMA, boxing, kick-boxing, bare-knuckle boxing, just lock these 2 in an arena and take my hard earned v-money <{JustBleed}>

Aleks is washed up, has been for many years, lost to 2 middleweights in a row and tbh should have lost to Tony Johnson a few years ago too, even against Gonzaga he was saved by a stand up by the ref

Monson doesn't have much of a choice, his rematch with Aleks it will be a bare-knuckle boxing bout from what I read, not MMA; which makes zero sense since the Snowman is a grappler first <{hughesimpress}> I hope I'm wrong...

Their 1st fight was pretty cool, that was a huge upset win for Monson back then. Guess Aleks doesn't want to risk getting north-south'd again.

... that sucks, Aleks is such a decorated Sambo champion, how come his skills there never translated well to MMA? Because he fell in love with boxing, and even after his dreams were crushed in 2009, he kept thinking he had world class hands?

Such waste of talent.
Only fight I'll be REALLY excited about now would be against Datsik.
MMA, boxing, kick-boxing, bare-knuckle boxing, just lock these 2 in an arena and take my hard earned v-money <{JustBleed}>

He did have world-class hands - back in the day.
You really think what we saw today was a good representation of his standup in his prime?
Why are you excited about Datsik fight? Did you see the most recent Datsik fight? Datsik would crush him.
Again, I think now even retired Monson would crush him in standup (whose standup was always shit - though his grappling skills were world-class) - it's that bad.

Aleks looked alright, what's the problem? Still less chance of being KO'd compared to his brother who was KO'd by pillowfisted Maldonado

The emilenenko bros have now lost to fighters from welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight...I am not complaining, I like their openweight philosophy but they really seem to strugle with lighter fighters..

Aleks looked alright, what's the problem? Still less chance of being KO'd compared to his brother who was KO'd by pillowfisted Maldonado

The emilenenko bros have now lost to fighters from welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight...I am not complaining, I like their openweight philosophy but they really seem to strugle with lighter fighters..

When was Fedor KO’d by Maldonado?

Aleks was on fire when he got out of jail and was on the juice. Like always tho, he gets into trouble, messes around with booze and gets out of shape, then gets rekt in the cage. Probably the greatest waste of talent I have seen at hw. He was like a more physically gifted Fedor, but with the brain of Conor or Melvin Guillard.

When was Fedor KO’d by Maldonado?

In their fight, He was KO'd but the ref did not stop it, the ref in that fight had that look on his face like WTF do I do here

IIRC the ref and judges were connected to Fedor's team

He did have world-class hands - back in the day.
You really think what we saw today was a good representation of his standup in his prime?

Come one now, I've been a fan of Aleks since his early PRIDE days, I even had the immense luck of watching him fight live in Holland against Fabricio Werdum... and I used to believe he was one of the MMA guys who would do good in boxing.
(Especially since Fedor himself was saying that Aleks had more talent than him)

He boxed Barnett up for 10 min before getting sub'd in the second round.

Loved his stance, was super stocked when Kirill "Baby Fedor" Sidelnikov started to emulate Aleks in his first few MMA bouts.

Then Aleks go a gimme boxing fight against 0-0 Khizir Pliev, and 99% of Sherdog complained that Aleks was wasting his time against this "can", and "give him a real boxer now!!"
Then, to Sherdog's collective horror, Pliev tagged Aleks at will, he had no head movement so almost every punch landed; it was still a pretty close fight because Pliev was no world beater himself, so the younger Emelianenko was gifted a "draw" to save face...

That was embarrassing, and we were still in the dark ages of "good MMA strikers would destroy most high level boxers under boxing rules, boxers just aren't tough enough"... Aleks vs Pliev was one of the bouts that woke MMA fans up.

Then only a year later, the horror continued when a completely washed up Peter Graham outstruck him (I haven't rewatched that one since it happened live, so I don't remember much), and Magomed Malikov knocked the fuck out of him under 30 seconds

(For the record, Malikov was supposed to be "another can" for Aleks to run through, to give him some confidence back after the Peter Graham loss)
Malikov turned out to be a pretty good fighter, I'm not bashing the guy, on the contrary... but someone with world class hands shouldn't lose like that to a relative newcommer like Malikov, who had his first pro fight just one year prior to the Aleks bout.

I'm a fan of Aleks, well not anymore because of his appalling actions outside the ring/cage, but I'm a fan of the fighter. During the Datsik feud, I was on Aleks side.
During the Sergei feud, I was on Aleks side.
During the Fedor feud, I was on Fedor's side, but the Last Emperor is in my top 3 favorite fighters ever (with Sakuraba and Shogun), so it would be hard for me to root against him... ^^'

But Aleks having world class hands in his prime? I really don't know about that... even in big profile fights that he won, like against Sergei, Aleks was getting outstruck before Kharinotov made the smart decision of taunting him and giving him a free shot.
I was happy that Sergei made that dumbass move because I was on team Red Devils, but I still wish we could have gotten a rematch to set things right.

Help me out here, which one was the welterweight? ^^'
I thought about Fedor vs Hendo, but Dan was a WW in name only, since in PRIDE it was the weight class equivalent of today's UFC MW (up to 183 in PRIDE, 185 in UFC)

The Emi's are the most overrated MMA fighters in history.

Come one now, I've been a fan of Aleks since his early PRIDE days, I even had the immense luck of watching him fight live in Holland against Fabricio Werdum... and I used to believe he was one of the MMA guys who would do good in boxing.

Loved his stance, was super stocked when Kirill "Baby Fedor" Sidelnikov started to emulate Aleks in his first few MMA bouts.

Then Aleks go a gimme boxing fight against 0-0 Khizir Pliev, and 99% of Sherdog complained that Aleks was wasting his time against this "can", and "give him a real boxer now!!"
Then, to Sherdog's collective horror, Pliev tagged Aleks at will, he had no head movement so almost every punch landed; it was still a pretty close fight because Pliev was no world beater himself, so the younger Emelianenko was gifted a "draw" to save face...

That was embarrassing, and we were still in the dark ages of "good MMA strikers would destroy most high level boxers under boxing rules, boxers just aren't tough enough"... Aleks vs Pliev was one of the bouts that woke MMA fans up.

Then only a year later, the horror continued when a completely washed up Peter Graham outstruck him (I haven't rewatched that one since it happened live, so I don't remember much), and Magomed Malikov knocked the fuck out of him under 30 seconds

(For the record, Malikov was supposed to be "another can" for Aleks to run through, to give him some confidence back after the Peter Graham loss)
Malikov turned out to be a pretty good fighter, I'm not bashing the guy, on the contrary... but someone with world class hands shouldn't lose like that to a relative newcommer like Malikov, who had his first pro fight just one year prior to the Aleks bout.

I'm a fan of Aleks, well not anymore because of his appalling actions outside the ring/cage, but I'm a fan of the fighter. During the Datsik feud, I was on Aleks side.
During the Fedor feud, I was on Fedor's side, but the Last Emperor is in my top 3 favorite fighters ever (with Sakuraba and Shogun), so it would be hard for me to root against him... ^^'

But Aleks having world class hands in his prime? I really don't know about that... even in big profile fights that he won, like against Sergei, Aleks was getting outstruck before Kharinotov made the smart decision of taunting him and giving him a free shot.
I was happy that Sergei made that dumbass move because I was on team Red Devils, but I still wish we could have gotten a rematch to set things right.

I like your top 3.....Im not sure where we can fit Genki in there tho!

In their fight, He was KO'd but the ref did not stop it, the ref in that fight had that look on his face like WTF do I do here

IIRC the ref and judges were connected to Fedor's team

If he was KO’d, how did he come back? That makes no sense at all. Stop parroting stupid things please.

World class hands doesn't mean world class defense - lol
Fedor's standup is also horrible as far as defense is concerned.
Another issue being - at HW, KO's are very common. Unlike boxing, due to smaller gloves, they happen much faster and one minor mistake may lead to a KO, even if you are the better fighter 9 out of 10 times. I think you will agree that as far as that fight with Malikov is concerned, AE really did have much better standup skills than Malikov (and weight/reach advantage), but.... all it took was one punch. It happens.

Also - when I say world class hands.... I think we can now see that MMA fighters are not necessarily great boxers, when fighting pro-boxers under boxing rules. At the same time, AE really was gifted with his hands, and with right training, it's very possible he could have made quite a splash in the boxing arena. Alas, it's all very hypothetical now...

He just came back from stroke or something real bad n they fucking give him hard challenge it a win he was in cage at all he had a nice takedown but to slow to stay on top ughh I just glad he no looking like he dying anymore

Back