1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

embarassing sub

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SteveQ, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Will_N.O. Orange Belt

If you were just totally stuck and you couldn't breathe, then you gotta tap. No shame there, dude was a blue belt and you have 3 months. It's only a bad tap if you didn't learn anything from it.

I'm at your level - about 3 months - and here is what I think I have learned about escaping KOB:

1) Try to see it coming and shrimp out before it's really sunk in deep. If they get it to where they have your lapel and your hip and crank, it's 10x more difficult to get out.

2) If you're too late and jammed up, as a measure of last resort you can try to bait the armbar by pushing with your hand on the knee and your elbow up in the air. They will snake their arm inside the arm you are pushing with and do a 180 around your head to sink the armbar. If you are lucky and quick you may be able to hit the transition and escape.

Usually I just get armbarred. :redface: But even being armbarred is better than being stuck under KOB until you turn blue.

2. JerseyTrash Silver Belt

This purple belt at my academy has by far the worst knee on belly I've ever experienced. I thought I was going to break ribs.

3. SteveQ I'd rather be fishing

I'm starting to feel a little (lot) less embarassed about this ... I tried to push on the knee and shrimp out but after just a couple seconds it was unbearable

4. BJJ in Chicago Livin' la vida bomba

Trying desperately to learn the berimbolo
    i tapped a kid with it last night. when pulling up hard on the lapel and the pant leg while pressing the kee hard into the stomach or sternum, it's quite effective and hard to remove.

5. J Storm** Banned Banned

anyone have success w/ this in no-go?

6. Fenrir Blue Belt

Tapping is for pussys.

/sarcasm

7. alphamale Purple Belt

we have a curitiba GB brown at my school who owns with his KOB, he gets it right where your ribs split and can make it hurt, plus he's an expert at getting the far armbar from it too.

bastard.

8. FLMikeATT Purple Belt

I've never tapped to KOB although I've tapped to the body triangle from the back a few times.

It isn't that hard to escape KOB. Shrimp, invert for the kneebar, give up your back, bait the armbar/mount, etc. There's a great deal of ways to get out of it.

Maybe I've just not rolled with anyone intent on making me tap with KOB, but I've been put in it quite a few times by some fellow blue belts and I don't usually have a problem getting the knee off.

9. Davii Blue Belt

what I find disturbing is why the hell a blue belt is doing shit like that to a 3 month white belt. That's a bad sign in all kinds of ways.

10. He showed this at a camp I attended. It's absolutely hellish.

11. A_bomb47 Wha happan to you Sherdog?

How is that disturbing?

Some of the guys I train with did that kind of stuff to me as well when I just started.
    I don't see anything wrong with that.

12. SteveQ I'd rather be fishing

I wasn't going to go down this road because I like the guy but it surprised me, too. That being said, it doesn't bother me and I won't hold it against him. I can handle it, but I would think that stuff like that is why some really new people quit.

13. TacWar Green Belt

I don't like that someone is tapping out his training partners witih knee on belly, I play it all the time and I can play it in three ways. I can knee ride you where it isn't that uncomfortable, I can go to knee on belly on you where its very uncomfortable, then I can rolling pin knee mount you which can submit you. The only time I've ever used the rolling pin is with other blue belts and I told them before the roll that I wanted to work it so they knew I wasn't trying to be a dick, or to slow some spaz down that already smacked me in the face a couple times.

Don't be embarrassed to tap to this, b/c I'm sure it can cause some damage to your ribs or sternum. If the guy continually does this to you ask him after practice why he doesn't transition to something else or teach you how to get out of it.

14. A_bomb47 Wha happan to you Sherdog?

Personally I wouldn't to it to whitebelts either but to each is own I guess. I never had a big problem with others doing it to me.
    Usually I put myself in bad position when rolling with whitebelts.

And I agree. You shouldn't be embarrassed to tap to this. Hell my teacher - who is a Rickson brown belt- say he wants to tap because of the pain if Henry Akins (Rickson black belt) puts pressure on him from side control.

15. TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

I've been submitted before while I had a guy in my guard...that always sucks.

16. Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

What sub was it?

17. FLMikeATT Purple Belt

I've been submitted from my guard before, but it hasn't happened in a long time. Once this meathead white belt latched on to my neck and squeezed. I tapped when I heard my neck popping. It wasn't a can opener, he just got me in a headlock and squeezed as hard as he could.

Another time I've been tapped from an ezekiel, but no one but noobs try that shit anyways and you learn to defend it pretty quickly.

18. TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

Umm..it's been a while but...but when I was a total noob a stronger guy than myself kimura'd me from my guard.

Oh and a few months back..Leo Cantu (Black belt under Draculino) collar choked me roughly 4 times from my guard. I would do all I know to fight it, but his grip was like death.

19. NerfKnees Back To Lurking

Once I considered tapping when I was on my back and triangling my opponent purely because I was tired, my legs were burned out and somehow my opponent was getting blood to the head. I had to finish with the armbar.

20. Simco Green Belt

You can attack the floating rib from knee on belly. It's a valid submission.