Embarassing guard pass.

Did anyone else notice how basically sets you up for a triangle but posting on his leg like that. He even turns you so you have a better angle to put the triangle on. Im pretty sure a whitebelt would get a triangle on him

Anyone ever watch the early 90's Gracie instructionals? That's the first guard pass they teach.

Anyone ever watch the early 90's Gracie instructionals? That's the first guard pass they teach.

Except that they teach how to do it PROPERLY. There are several things wrong with how he's teaching it here, but one of the most glaring is the fact that he fails to control the leg he's not under-hooking AND he's extending his inside arm fully; thereby giving them a gift wrapped triangle.

Except that they teach how to do it PROPERLY. There are several things wrong with how he's teaching it here, but one of the most glaring is the fact that he fails to control the leg he's not under-hooking AND he's extending his inside arm fully; thereby giving them a gift wrapped triangle.

That's more/less what I was thinking. It looks like he is trying to teach the most basic/beginner type of guard pass but just using really sloppy technique.

tbone

"The Gracie Gift" as it's called, is actually a solid pass when done correctly.

it's also much easier to control a person's balance when he's in a gi versus nogi. I agree, the video is pretty noob.

Look like he has a pretty vague idea of how that technique is suppoed to go (vague is prolly too kind here) but his execution is abysmal.

well it's not that pass... And yes every single pass ever invented is a solid pass when "done correctly" but what is your opponent going to do? Stay still so you can get your technique perfectly? No, things like that pass are not used because you have a small "margin for error". Heck even rorion's boys don't use that pass when they competed.

did you notice the douchebag deleted all the comments telling him how much he sucks?

I use that pass all the time when we're drilling how to get caught in a triangle.

I do something simliar to this guy but it is on purpose. I try to invite the triangle because it is so easy to pass.

I find that the triangle escape is one of the easiest ways for me to get side control.

I don't think he is setting himself up on purpose.

I do as well. There are legit passes in which you bait your opt with a triangle...

This does not look like one of those passes though. The reason that i would say that is the following:

1) the technique does not look good. at least from the standard of the passes that i know where you "bait" your opt. the technique this gentleman is showing on the clip is going to get your triangled...

2) there is no mention about the dangers of this pass...specifically, the danger of getting triangled, and what to focus on regarding how to not get triangled

Anybody else notice that he calls it a sweep rather than a guard pass(about 20 seconds in).

I do as well. There are legit passes in which you bait your opt with a triangle...

This does not look like one of those passes though. The reason that i would say that is the following:

1) the technique does not look good. at least from the standard of the passes that i know where you "bait" your opt. the technique this gentleman is showing on the clip is going to get your triangled...

2) there is no mention about the dangers of this pass...specifically, the danger of getting triangled, and what to focus on regarding how to not get triangled

I actually let the triangle happen. I think it's a weak move from the bottom. But at the same time I ONLY wrestle no gi. That is why that triangle is so easy for me to get out of. If I wore a gi I would be stupid to allow someone to catch me with that triangle.
There would be no escape.

Here is the BEST in the world teaching a similar move. I usually just take the body.
YouTube - Erik Paulson - Kneebar from Triangle Escape

I actually let the triangle happen. I think it's a weak move from the bottom. But at the same time I ONLY wrestle no gi. That is why that triangle is so easy for me to get out of. If I wore a gi I would be stupid to allow someone to catch me with that triangle.
There would be no escape.

Hmm Have you been training at a real place with real guys for a number of years to come up with this idea? Triangle is actually one of the higher percentage subs no-gi. If you have some sort of long competitive experience or many years in a good school to back up what you said, I am ready to read about it.

He doesn't. Otherwise he wouldn't say the triangle sux from the bottom. There is one caveat, though. If he's 350 lbs and has wide shoulders, he's right. Triangling him from the bottom sux bigtime. Otherwise, he's so stupidly wrong you should probably just ignore everything he says from now on.

We teach a pass like that in our class. Except that we keep better posture, and we control the down leg so they can't apply the triangle, and we wouldn't underhook the leg so early...

... Ok, so maybe saying "we teach a pass like that" is not entirely accurate.

He doesn't. Otherwise he wouldn't say the triangle sux from the bottom. There is one caveat, though. If he's 350 lbs and has wide shoulders, he's right. Triangling him from the bottom sux bigtime. Otherwise, he's so stupidly wrong you should probably just ignore everything he says from now on.

were you thinking about me?:icon_chee

I love people triangling me, gives me time to rest

Back