Economy Elon Musk Admitted to Fabricating Hyperloop to Kill California High Speed Rail

He probably isn't the sole reason for it's failure, sure. But to say he was a major interest working against it's success is probably fair.

I would just say the failure of that project was due to poor governance, not capitalism or private influences in the form of Musk. This just reeks of an attempt to let’s shift all the blame of something California democrats failed at to someone we now despise. Musk didn’t have overwhelming control of the that states government and if the argument is even with that much single party control, it’s the fault of private influences, then that imo is an argument that government isn’t capable of many of the things democrats propose. Like I said, there’s plenty of reasons to attack Musk but this one seems pretty transparent in what is trying to be accomplished.

a guy who makes cars is lobbying against public transportation......in other news water is wet.

a guy who makes cars is lobbying against public transportation......in other news water is wet.
at the time, and still today, he's trying to make his form of public transit

major distinction

and how is that bullet train coming along? We going to pretend that project went well?

Good, investing in trains is stupid. Driverless cars will make them obsolete before they're even finished.

Thankfully most of the investment is in the infrastructure for the throughway, so the tracks can be removed and converted into high-speed driverless car usage rather easily.

He’s no Howard Hughes ladies and gentlemen. As much as he’d like to be, he isn’t.

I don't get it why would he want to kill the high speed rail?
He is/was selling environmentally-friendly cars. High-speed rail is an alternative. Europeans/Asians tend to travel long distances in cars less than Americans because high-speed rail is a viable option. He was based in California, now in Texas. Two BIG states where people are rather reliant on cars. A better developed high-speed rail system would cut into his business to at least some extent.

Tesla make good cars, so by extension we can trust his every word?.

Do they though? Haven’t they had to recall over a million cars this year alone? They are consistently voted least reliable electric car and Lincoln was the only general car to fall lower then them according to consumer reports.

Though in all honesty the one person I know who has one seems to have had no problems

Hyperloop was never pysiscally possible, its been known for decades.

Hyperloop didn't doom California's HS Rail, because it is still going on, but the point is that Musk TRIED to hinder progress on public transport.

I wonder if he realizes that be construed as anti competitive practices.

He is/was selling environmentally-friendly cars. High-speed rail is an alternative. Europeans/Asians tend to travel long distances in cars less than Americans because high-speed rail is a viable option. He was based in California, now in Texas. Two BIG states where people are rather reliant on cars. A better developed high-speed rail system would cut into his business to at least some extent.
Coincidentally Texas is working on a high speed rail from Dallas to Houston, would be amazing if they could accomplish

Coincidentally Texas is working on a high speed rail from Dallas to Houston, would be amazing if they could accomplish

Even if they don't succeed, it's gonna be tough to fuck it up harder than California did.

football...soccer...whatever they call it down there

When the legacy manufacturers get into their stride, Tesla is going to fall by the wayside, because they have major quality control issues and do not have the manaufacturing capacity of a company like Ford.

Ford has already come out with a very viable electric full size pickup. Rivian has an electric mid size pickup. The F150 lightning has gotten good reviews soo far, with criticism focused on lack of availability and price gouging by dealers.

The Cybertruck is just a lifestyle pickup, it is not a sensible and practical truck like the F150 lightning.

I saw a Rivian for the first time two days ago. Odd but cool looking truck.

Do you think that Tesla will maintain one of the biggest things that keeps their cars selling which is status? I've witnessed people who drove perfectly good cars that were only a few years old with fairly low mileage sell and get a Tesla because they think they're cool, have a social circle with Tesla owners, and have moved into an income bracket that makes it possible.

People who gave up the convenience of gas and go and fairly high reliability for an 8-12 hour charging time, limited range, and lesser reliability.

Do you think that Tesla will maintain one of the biggest things that keeps their cars selling which is status? I've witnessed people who drove perfectly good cars that were only a few years old with fairly low mileage sell and get a Tesla because they think they're cool, have a social circle with Tesla owners, and have moved into an income bracket that makes it possible.

People who gave up the convenience of gas and go and fairly high reliability for an 8-12 hour charging time, limited range, and lesser reliability.
It's a self-selecting cohort.

The Venn Diagram between people who buy Teslas, buy things in airports, think Conor McGregor is the MMA goat, eat at cheesecake factory etc... is basically 1:1
Nu-rich messaging at its finest.

Could endure for a while, but even with that sheen of gildedness the companies are so hyperinflated when it comes to stock value because Musk in the end is running a financial scam on the skeleton of an auto company.

Last edited:

It's a status symbol for some. Aside from the practical benefits of owning a Tesla, some get it because it is seen as hip and trendy, like people who must have an Iphone and the latest fashions.

Ford is coming out / has come out with some amazing E.V. vehicles. Tesla will do ok if their Autonomous tech and battery range are much better than the competition. Tesla reliability is rather poor.

My hunch is that the legacy automakers are going to surpass Tesla; just a matter of time.

It's a status symbol for some. Aside from the practical benefits of owning a Tesla, some get it because it is seen as hip and trendy, like people who must have an Iphone and the latest fashions.

Ford is coming out / has come out with some amazing E.V. vehicles. Tesla will do ok if their Autonomous tech and battery range are much better than the competition. Tesla reliability is rather poor.

My hunch is that the legacy automakers are going to surpass Tesla; just a matter of time.
tesla is one of a kind, however the big three are pretty much guaranteed to catch up for a few reasons

1. lower price
2. Crony capitalism
3. Brand recognition

reason I wont be buying from the others, will be because I dont know too much about their auto driving features and engineering. Tesla was built from the ground up as an EV, rather than shared/reused parts. Having an engineering lead isnt something I take lightly, Apple had an engineering lead on Google in terms of phones, and they've kept it, and still maintain that lead despite selling less units. There are more android phones being sold than apple iphones, does it matter to the buyer? Not really, an iphone isnt just about the phone, it's about the ecosystem and the perks of being in that ecosystem. Tesla solar + tesla vehicle has their own integration, it's a small ecosystem, but it exists, and the integration is important.

Back