Ellenberger: I lose when I don't fear the fighter

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Discipline is something Ellenberger talks about a lot, and if you look at his UFC history, it's easy to see why. Against Kampmann, he seemed to be in control, coming within a punch or two of finishing it in the first round before getting floored by knee strikes as he started to fade in the second.

Against MacDonald, he never got his offense going, and now he thinks the culprit might have been a lack of fear. Contrary to what people might expect, Ellenberger insists, that can be a liability for a professional fighter.

"When I fight a guy like Nate Marquardt, who is big and scary and can really hurt you, I feel like that brings the best out of me," Ellenberger says. "When I fight a guy like Rory, I might have been too relaxed in my mind-set because, hey, it's not like he's really going to hurt me. I think the best comes out in me when I have more fear, more to worry about."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ellenberger-learning-to-embrace-fear/9393353/

Great.
Zuffa should just give him opponents that he fears from now on.

Great.
The top 5 at WW are all dangerous KO machines. Shouldn't be an issue.

I gotta say, this excuse doesn't work for Jake Shields though... Who Ellenberger brutally murdered.

Great.

Haha yea, maybe Robbie then Hector would be fun. Jakes a lot of fun to watch fight. really entertaining (outside of the Rory bout).

He didn't fear Condit?
2vafv9z.jpg

2qnm5qu.jpg

Condit's chin is just ridiculous.

2vafv9z.jpg

2qnm5qu.jpg

Condit's chin is just ridiculous.

He did well in that fight; Condit was just better. He performed like shit against Rory. With Kampmann, I think he just got caught; he was soundly winning the fight.

Lol blaming his loss on not being "scared" when really he just lost to a better fighter. He couldn't handle Rory's timing, and needed an opponent with no footwork to land his haymakers. He should have asked for a Tyron Woodley fight if he really believes that.

Doesn't make too much sense, but alrighty.

I gotta say, this excuse doesn't work for Jake Shields though... Who Ellenberger brutally murdered.

I think Ellenberger had every reason to be scared of Shields' ground game. I don't think he just meant fear like an intimidation factor. I think fighters' probably fear any aspect of an opponent's game that can threaten to finish the fight.

Ellenberger's striking just looks so rudimentary. He gets by on sheer power and athleticism.

I want him to win but odds are Lawler just tears him apart.

Jakes a bad motherfucker in that first round. His cardio has consistently let him down though. I think he a can take the first 2 rounds of Robbie and try and survive the 3rd to UD Robbie.

Can't wait for this fight!

He looked like he feared Rory's jab and lost, I don't think this excuse works.

Well, if there is a guy to fear Lawler sure is shit that guy. Crisp striking to go along with KO power. I just hope this isn't another Rory type of performance.

Back