Ellenberger has been nothing more than a power puncher on the feet.

ShreddinMMA

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Seriously.

Sherdog has overrated this man's striking for no other reason then he has some big power.

He is NOT a technical striker and never has been. It isn't that he is facing better competition. It isn't that he is facing bad style match ups. He's just facing better strikers.

He just simply has nothing else besides his power on the feet. Just look at his fabulous KO victims. Besides MArquardt, there is no striker worth much of a damn that he has KO'd in the UFC.

The evidence should have been found in the Macdonald fight. All Macdonald did was jab. Everyone knew that would be coming from Macdonald. And Jake had NO answer for it.

He's a power puncher who knows how to throw the basic combos. He isn't a developed striker. Stop pretending he is.

Jake just doesn't have the mental strength to be a top guy. He cracks when he's on the defensive.

CP9PMK_2332698b.jpg

I remember when Lawler was scheduled to fight MacDonald and posters were saying that Lawler was going to lose because he was just an older, lesser version of Ellenberger.

I remember when Lawler was scheduled to fight MacDonald and posters were saying that Lawler was going to lose because he was just an older, lesser version of Ellenberger.

This.

Lawler is for real. Can't wait to see him get that belt.

Ellenburger is such a disappointment. He has the speed, power, and technique that can really do things in the division. He just seems to suffer from confidence issues. He never pulls the trigger. At his best he can beat anyone in the division. But he is so hot and cold you never know which Jake is going to show up.

If Jake had anything remotely resembling a gas tank, he can win fights with his wrestling.

Lawler has fantastic TDD at welterweight and Jake took him down pretty easily. If he had a gas tank and a gameplan based around wrestling, he could beat Lawler easily. It's too bad his cardio sucks and he wants to strike all the time for no reason.

Dude just doesn't have the mental fortitude, he's sort of a frontrunner. He either lights you up or gets tagged and retreats into a defensive shell cause he's more worried about his opponents offense than what he can do to prevent it. Dude loses confidence everytime he gets hit it would seem.

I think Ellenberger's true weakness was shown by his fight with Diego Sanchez. Diego has basically been dominated by 155lbers, and Ellenberger was extremely fortunate that fight was only a 3 rounder or he'd have been TKO'd in the 4th.

If Jake had anything remotely resembling a gas tank, he can win fights with his wrestling.

Lawler has fantastic TDD at welterweight and Jake took him down pretty easily. If he had a gas tank and a gameplan based around wrestling, he could beat Lawler easily. It's too bad his cardio sucks and he wants to strike all the time for no reason.

In my opinion jake has one of the best power doubles out there in the division BUT Lawler took control on the ground too- laughing (acc. to Rogan- would love to see gif evidence) the first time around and easily pulling a reverse to escape and then rolling out from under Jake while he was in his full guard.

Robbie has a better mental game and pressure game than Jake. Ellenberger is a great fighter and is skilled but he can be rendered tentative in a variety of different fights against different types of opponents. When he tasted the jabs from Rory, he seemed content to just hang back and not put much effort into changing the tide . Against Carlos Eduardo Rocha, the early scare of being out in bad spots after being taken down rendered him tentative for the rest of the fight.

Jake is great and I believe he is mentally strong but just not as mentally strong as some of these others.

He's looked very vulnerable since the Sanchez fight. Dude just doesn't respond well against pressure, and when you're facing an experienced striker, well you know how it ends.

Ellenberger is an incredible fighter when he's "on" and when he's mentally "there," kind of like Rashad Evans. He has the most power of any fighter at 170 IMO (having dropped Condit, which no one else has done, and having finished Shields), great TDD, and his chin is good too. Unfortunately, he lacks the mental fortitude that is takes to be an elite competitor in the UFC, and he will likely be known as the greatest WW that never was (...for long).

In my opinion jake has one of the best power doubles out there in the division BUT Lawler took control on the ground too- laughing (acc. to Rogan- would love to see gif evidence) the first time around and easily pulling a reverse to escape and then rolling out from under Jake while he was in his full guard.

Robbie has a better mental game and pressure game than Jake. Ellenberger is a great fighter and is skilled but he can be rendered tentative in a variety of different fights against different types of opponents. When he tasted the jabs from Rory, he seemed content to just hang back and not put much effort into changing the tide . Against Carlos Eduardo Rocha, the early scare of being out in bad spots after being taken down rendered him tentative for the rest of the fight.

Jake is great and I believe he is mentally strong but just not as mentally strong as some of these others.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Jake's problem is mental. His second biggest problem would be his gas tank.

He's a power puncher who knows how to throw the basic combos.

What is wrong with that? Some of the best boxers and fighters in history belonged to this archetype.

Not everyone is meant to be Anderson Silva, many of the great ones only have a few moves mastered.

sure you have. and u waited til after this fight to start a thread about saying how you've been saying this for a while.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/rory-going-outbox-ellenberger-2440653/

I've never honestly been THAT impressed with Ellenberger. Besides Shields he's never beat anyone overly impressive and his striking gets MADLY overhyped. He punches hard but he's never been that refined of a striker. If he doesn't blitz a guy early his striking looks pretty average.

I think he's just not as good as some people like to think he is frankly. It was painfully obvious he wasn't going to get past Rory's jab since he's never shown any kind of movement worth a damn. But people keep thinking his power will always carry the day.

I've never honestly been THAT impressed with Ellenberger. Besides Shields he's never beat anyone overly impressive and his striking gets MADLY overhyped. He punches hard but he's never been that refined of a striker. If he doesn't blitz a guy early his striking looks pretty average.

I think he's just not as good as some people like to think he is frankly. It was painfully obvious he wasn't going to get past Rory's jab since he's never shown any kind of movement worth a damn. But people keep thinking his power will always carry the day.

And that's fair.

Ellenberger is great when guys go straight back. Before Condit mastered circling out (as in the notorious Diaz fight), he would go straight back. And Ellenberger punished him for it.

Ellenberger is also pretty dangerous when people step in on him to exchange. So if Robbie starts stepping in without setups, looking for onl big punches, then I can see Ellenberger catching him.

Originally posted in this thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/jake-ellenbergers-fight-iq-2743465/

Try again.

I've been talking about Ellenberger's lackluster striking technique for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back