Elizabeth Warren wants to rob shareholders, reward plebs.

What am I lying about? You laughed when I said tech made more than pharma. You are ignorant and have no argument.

I have made plenty of arguments, unfortunately you felt the need to lie about what those arguments are. A question does not make a statement. So let's start there. I did not say a cell phone and penicillin were the same, I simply asked how they were meaningfully different, I probably should have added that the question was in the context of this discussion, more specifically how they are different as a measurement of wealth. That lack of clarity on my part does not excuse your blatant lie about what I said.

Um most the jobs we are talking about. McDonalds requires a smart phone? We are talking about poor people.

Even working at McDonalds requires a phone moron. How else are they/people going to reach you? Two cans and a piece of string? Basically a phone is required if you are trying to get ANY job.

OP is misleading. Corporations exist to do more than "pay shareholders".

@JonesBones If a corp exists only to pay shareholdders, what do you believe should happen to companies that do not pay dividends?

Capital gains are paying shareholders too.

No it is not. A gain from a sale is different than income.

Qualified dividends are taxed at the capital gains rate. Y'know, since you want to argue semantics instead of acknowledge the larger point.

So now we're back to square one. Capital gains are paying shareholders too. Any more semantics you want to hash out?

Man, this thread sucks. Is there any actual policy discussion to be had?

I am not clear on the details here and can't support or criticize the bill, but I think the goal of combating income inequality without raising taxes a dime is a great fucking thing to pursue.

I am shocked by the tone of Vox and CNBC on this. Apparently this is getting some support from the corporate establishment.

A little light on the specifics, but it was 40% of board seats elected by workers for publicly traded corporations in the US, and basically a charter for corporate social responsibility to accompany their corporate personhood.

Jesus, I can't tell if you're trolling. But in case you're not, there are two obvious problems with this. One, picking stocks well requires knowledge. In fact, most "experts" can't even beat index funds and can't even justify their fees. The second, and more important problem, is that people don't have cash to invest. There are so many people that can't make ends meet that they don't have any safety savings for emergencies, couldn't afford a $500 surprise bill, etc. so they sure as hell can't invest.

It's a circular problem. Gains have gone to the richest folks and wages are stagnant which means lots of people who earn from wages aren't able to invest (which is where the gains are to be had).

And your disgust of people who simply work for a living makes me think you're trolling, but if not it's pretty lame.

This is very true. But I wonder how much is self inflicted? People in this country live way to much on credit/debt. The average car payment in this country $371. The average credit card balance is $6375. Looking at at minimum payment of $128.
That's $499 going out the door every month.

This is very true. But I wonder how much is self inflicted? People in this country live way to much on credit/debt. The average car payment in this country $371. The average credit card balance is $6375. Looking at at minimum payment of $128.
That's $499 going out the door every month.

And you are right to some extent, but the problem for me is where a good chunk of that 371$ car payment, or 120$ minimum payment on the credit card is going?

It's going to large financial institutions who get it for free at the 0% FED loan window. Our banking industry is now 25% of the economy and growing. Member when being a banker was boring, like a librarian, instead of a rock star gangster millionaire? Pepperidge farms members.

I am shocked by the tone of Vox and CNBC on this. Apparently this is getting some support from the corporate establishment.

Why would you be shocked that Vox (or, more-specifically, Matt Yglesias) would support it? And how the heck do you figure that Vox is the voice of the corporate establishment? Yeesh.

And you are right to some extent, but the problem for me is where a good chunk of that 371$ car payment, or 120$ minimum payment on the credit card going?

It's going to large financial institutions who get it for free at the 0% FED loan window.

???

Tesla, The Boring Co., and SpaceX are fantastic corporations.

Elon Musk is a remarkable genius.

you really are a special brand of cunt arent you?

I think @JonesBones is playing a Kevin O'Leary-type character not so much because he believes it but because he wants to see the refutations. But he's not saying anything concrete enough to require it so the thread is spiraling into idiocy.

Why would you be shocked that Vox would support it? And how the heck do you figure that Vox is the voice of the corporate establishment? Yeesh.

???

Well, conjure it electronically authorized by the fed. It is conjured electronically at 0% interest, is it not?

Here's an idea: the workers can buy stock in their company, accumulate enough voting shares to demand a board seat. So it turns out they can get board representation right now.

Well, conjure it electronically authorized by the fed. It is conjured electronically at 0% interest, is it not?

Uh, no? Can you be clearer here? Your view is that the Fed just gives banks money to lend? That can't be what you think, but it sounds like it.

Also, why would you think that Matt Yglesias speaks for the corporate establishment? Do you know anything about him?

I think @JonesBones is playing a Kevin O'Leary-type character not so much because he believes it but because he wants to see the refutations. But he's not saying anything concrete enough to require it so the thread is spiraling into idiocy.
I dont get why people feel the need to play characters on here..... its pretty weird. I have 2 modes, serious debate and having a laugh, depending on my mood thats the options for me when posting here.

Uh, no? Can you be clearer here? Your view is that the Fed just gives banks money to lend? That can't be what you think, but it sounds like it.

Also, why would you think that Matt Yglesias speaks for the corporate establishment? Do you know anything about him?

I think that based on capital requirements accredited banking institutions are authorized by the FED to conjure money electronically out of thin air, at a 20 to 1 holding ratio.

I saw that Vox piece and was surprised at how friendly the article was to the idea. They lean pretty far right.

Vox is not far right...lol, Vox is an SJW garbage news site and has been for years. Their anti-NRA and pro David Hogg videos are proof of that.

My personal Vox fake news favorite...how innocent ANTIFA is.

Vox is not far right...lol, Vox is an SJW garbage news site and has been for years. Their anti-NRA and pro David Hogg videos are proof of that.

My personal Vox fake news favorite...how innocent ANTIFA is.

They are Economically right. Like CNBC is. Just because they are PC doesn't mean they aren't for tax cuts and deregulation.

I think that based on capital requirements accredited banking institutions are authorized by the FED to conjure money electronically out of thin air, at a 20 to 1 holding ratio.

OK, that's kind of based on something right, but you have it pretty mangled. And the Fed (which isn't an acronym, BTW) has nothing to do with it.

Back