Electricity between Tesla and Edison

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
What do you think

I’m not going to act like I’m an expert in the field, but what I’ve gathered is that Tesla was the tortured genius type, while Edison was also very smart, but an opportunistic person as well.

Not really, after initially being fucked over, Tesla at least evened the score with Westinghouse. Surely Edison's pride was hurt after realizing Tesla was a genius on another level. So much so it passed the point of being positive and started heading into a negative.

Rumor has it they tongue kissed on two separate occasions.

They were basically the Steve jobs and Wozniak of their day.

Edison was just more of a dick than jobs.

Not really, after initially being fucked over, Tesla at least evened the score with Westinghouse. Surely Edison's pride was hurt after realizing Tesla was a genius on another level. So much so it passed the point of being positive and started heading into a negative.
Westinghouse needed partners to ensure its solvency.

These potential partners demanded that Westinghouse cancel his royalty arrangement with Tesla, a step this fellow inventor was reluctant to take. With no other choice, Westinghouse approached Tesla to cancel their contract with its multimillion-dollar value while stressing his commitment to AC power and Tesla's efforts. Citing his friend's confidence and support, Tesla simply tore up the contract. This hugely generous gesture meant that the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company flourished. By definition, Tesla had also shrunk the funding for his own further research and inventions by at least ten million dollars.

<{anton}>

Westinghouse needed partners to ensure its solvency.

These potential partners demanded that Westinghouse cancel his royalty arrangement with Tesla, a step this fellow inventor was reluctant to take. With no other choice, Westinghouse approached Tesla to cancel their contract with its multimillion-dollar value while stressing his commitment to AC power and Tesla's efforts. Citing his friend's confidence and support, Tesla simply tore up the contract. This hugely generous gesture meant that the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company flourished. By definition, Tesla had also shrunk the funding for his own further research and inventions by at least ten million dollars.

<{anton}>

Yup, when genius goes too far.

Dude would walk around a building 3x before entering it, only stayed in hotel rooms ending with the number 3, and basically loved a pigeon.

So yeah, I definitely love to have a beer with him. Or 3.

Yup, when genius goes too far.

Dude would walk around a building 3x before entering it, only stayed in hotel rooms ending with the number 3, and basically loved a pigeon.

So yeah, I definitely love to have a beer with him. Or 3.
Why did he circle buildings before going in?

Why did he circle buildings before going in?
OCD related they say

It’s reported that Tesla started showing symptoms of OCD around 1917 when he became obsessed with the number three. When taking his daily swim at the public pool, he always swam 33 laps, but if he lost count he said he couldn’t leave, and instead had to start over from zero. He often had an urge to circle a city block three times before entering a building. When leaving a building he had to turn right only, and walk around the entire block before becoming “free” and being able to leave.

He also became obsessed with germs, he polished every dining implement he used to perfection, demanded three folded cloth napkins beside his plate at every meal using 18 napkins. He also stayed in a hotel room with a number divisible by three (he lived the last ten years of his life in suite 3327 on the 33rd floor of the New Yorker Hotel). He considered jewellery revolting and especially hated pearl earrings.

It’s also reported that he would count his jaw movements when chewing food and habitually surprised dinner guests by estimating the weight of his meal before taking the first bite because when eating, he found he couldn’t enjoy food unless he first mentally calculated the volume, which of course are almost certainly OCD symptoms. Tesla’s fear of germs became so great when meeting people he would decline to shake hands and he had great distaste for touching hair.

I’m not going to act like I’m an expert in the field, but what I’ve gathered is that Tesla was the tortured genius type, while Edison was also very smart, but an opportunistic person as well.
Edison was a manipulative greedy prick. A smart one, but a prick, nevertheless. He organized a sweatshop full of people to create products for him and took all the credit--and financial gain.

Back