Elderly Gentlemen With Military Hats, Pins, Etc.

They acted like idiots. When someone is suicidal, what the fuck are you talking down to them for and acting like you know them? They acted worse than any retaliatory reactions or thoughts I may have.

You expected them to be nice to you? In Basic? Pretty safe to say you are not smarter than whatever captain you have a grudge against.

I never said be nice. Just discharge me. That's all. Seems pretty easy. But nope, these delusion idiots had to make leaving an adventure.

I always wondered if German WW2 vets were proud to wear their medals etc.

I'm retired military and when I was in Germany earlier this year, I went to a cookout that was hosted by a former member of Gen. Rommels' Afrika Corps. He had photos and everything. He was not a Nazi mind you, he was a member of the Bundeswehr/Whermacht. And yes, there IS a difference. He was proud of his service and it didn't bother me one bit. Of course he never committed any war-crimes either, so that was a big plus.

He actually wants to take me and my family to Hungary the next time I'm over. He says it's awesome there.

You expected them to be nice to you? In Basic? Pretty safe to say you are not smarter than whatever captain you have a grudge against.

Just leave it be my man. Several of us have gone over this with him many many times. He will do the mental gymnastics to justify his hatred, regardless of how ridiculous it seems to everyone else.

Most crazy people do not know that they are crazy and will fight like Hell to justify their craziness to others.

They acted like idiots. When someone is suicidal, what the fuck are you talking down to them for and acting like you know them? They acted worse than any retaliatory reactions or thoughts I may have.

How long were you in basic training until you became suicidal? I'm just curious because when I was somewhat bamboozled into joining the ROTC with promises of college credit there was a fella that did the same right before I arrived.

I never said be nice. Just discharge me. That's all. Seems pretty easy. But nope, these delusion idiots had to make leaving an adventure.

You don't see why a job based on killing people and them trying to kill you might have a problem with you quitting at the first moment you choose to.

You sound like a total failure.

Afghanistan was a war crime? what in the actual fuck?

The UN created ISAF in Dec 2001, not sure if serious

I'm frankly sure this cat got a FTA discharge, and likely medical benefits for behavioral health issues cuz he served presumably at least 30 days.....

Please tell us more how they weren't nice to you in bootcamp. probably went to Jackson or Leonard Wood too, embarrassing. Of course they aren't nice to you, half the people there would just quit if it were that easy.

Boot camp is literally the most micromanaged environment in the world, likely moreso than even prison. It's almost impossible to fail. Right place, right uniform, right time.....that's about it

Everyone takes pride in their life, clings to their memories. Especially when they start to fade.

I'm frankly sure this cat got a FTA discharge, and likely medical benefits for behavioral health issues cuz he served presumably at least 30 days.....

Please tell us more how they weren't nice to you in bootcamp. probably went to Jackson or Leonard Wood too, embarrassing. Of course they aren't nice to you, half the people there would just quit if it were that easy.

Boot camp is literally the most micromanaged environment in the world, likely moreso than even prison. It's almost impossible to fail. Right place, right uniform, right time.....that's about it

When you enlisted basically because you needed a ride home from MEPS 90 minutes away from home, there's not much motivation to put up with sociopaths ordering you around and demanding respect.

that doesn't even make sense. the recruiters didn't drive you to MEPS to take the ASVAB, swear in, take the physical, sign the contract......

they wouldn't give you a ride back?

Lately, I have noticed a fair deal of senior citizens wearing some tribute to their military service, whether it be a specific branch or some article of clothing that refers to a war that they were in(Korea/Vietnam). I actually had some guy ask me if I'd give him a discount for serving in Vietnam. I wanted to tell him off, but I just turned him down professionally.

I'm honestly astounded by this. I liken referring to military service in a positive fashion to being taken by a master con man, but telling everybody proudly of all the money and time you lost.

What the hell did Korea, Vietnam, or even Iraq/Afghanstan do for this country except waste precious lives and money? Why are service members not angry as hell about how the politicians conned them and risked their lives over nothing? Why isn't anyone correcting such a flawed system of blind subservience, which just enables a furtherance of the abuse-of-power cycle of military decisions and leadership?

Proud to have been a government pawn? It makes no goddamn sense.

Make sure you don't say shit to them. I think they would beat the shit out of you as all the vets I know lust wimp's blood.

You're pretty much right TS, but don't expect a lot of people to get that on this forum.

Although Korea is a little different. Look at what North Korea became, compared to South Korea. South Korea is actually a perennial G-20 nation, it's economic and cultural influence is extremely positive in Asia. It is a high-functioning democracy with a solid tech sector and generally positive\peaceful model for its neighbor's to aspire too.

Nothing wrong with going to war to prevent all of Korea from becoming what North Korea became, imo.

Vietnam on the other hand was the worst war crime of the post war era, (according to Geneva definition of War Crimes or War of Agression). Millions of Vietnamese simply murdered by American bombs and chemical weapons; a whole country destroyed based on the falsified Gulf of Tonkin incident, not to mention massive numbers of young middle class and working class Americans killed, maimed and traumatized...

Iraq is the same sort of thing. An imperial war that's done nothing but destabilize a region and destroy people's lives. It was good to kill Saddam but the price was far, far too high, for everyone involved, especially Iraqi's.

Afghanistan is a special case, it was certainly a war crime to invade the way the U.S did, and Bin Laden was in Pakistan - but the U.N did eventually "ratify" the invasion, in a manner of speaking.

You're right veterans should be more pissed off.

Korea and Afghanistan were legit and NOT war crimes.

Iraq had mistakes but was not evil

Vietnam was by and large a mistake. Only an American use of nuclear and or biological weapons would of worked to put down the rebellions.

When you enlisted basically because you needed a ride home from MEPS 90 minutes away from home, there's not much motivation to put up with sociopaths ordering you around and demanding respect.

Hope it works out for you man. Best of luck

that doesn't even make sense. the recruiters didn't drive you to MEPS to take the ASVAB, swear in, take the physical, sign the contract......

they wouldn't give you a ride back?

I was driven to MEPs to take the ASVAB, but didn't know they'd be offering jobs afterwards. I knew nothing about the military. When I saw that the duration of active duty enlistments was an absurd 4 or 5 years, I was committed to not signing. However, the career guy said he was able to get a 20 month enlistment contract or something like that. I still felt that was too long, but I felt compelled to sign since how else was I going to get a ride home from the recruiter?

Looking back, I should have had the power to just say no and not enlist, but I didn't realize how possessive they viewed those fucking contracts.

I was driven to MEPs to take the ASVAB, but didn't know they'd be offering jobs afterwards. I knew nothing about the military. When I saw that the duration of active duty enlistments was an absurd 4 or 5 years, I was committed to not signing. However, the career guy said he was able to get a 20 month enlistment contract or something like that. I still felt that was too long, but I felt compelled to sign since how else was I going to get a ride home from the recruiter?

Looking back, I should have had the power to just say no and not enlist, but I didn't realize how possessive they viewed those fucking contracts.

So you signed up for military service because you didn't have a ride home? It's not surprising at all that you dropped out /sarcasm

I seen a WW2 vet at a Circle K the other day.

I made sure to go up and shake his hand.

Back