Elbows to the back of the head should be legal from your back

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
After watching a recent video breaking down why Khabib is so good at wrapping the legs on the ground and moving to mount, I'm convinced that we need to allow elbows to the back of the head when fighters are on their back.

Wrestlers "defend" themselves from strikes with this passing technique by showing their opponent the back of their head. This is purely bullshit turtling, abusing the rules to prevent your opponent from punishing you. Elbows to the back of the head would stop this lame strategy extremely quickly.

If Khabib doesn't want elbows to the back of the head, then he should not present that target to his opponent.

And if I was one of his opponents and he tried this on me, I would immediately start elbowing him to the back of the head, illegal or not. They can DQ me if they want, but I'm not just letting him do that. I would encourage every single one of Khabib's opponents to go for the "illegal" elbows in that position, and eventually the UFC will need to do something.

I've only ever seen one other such GUTLESS, little bitch strategy in the UFC -- that would be the finger on the ground to make yourself a "grounded fighter", and prevent knees from the front headlock position. That "finger on the ground" rule did get changed -- so hopefully this one does too.

I do not want to see this Khabib leg wrap become a standard part of MMA, because it effectively prevents your opponent from striking you while you are on top of them.

Sure
but lets allow knees on the ground

then Khabib can just go north south and kill everyone

In b4 usual naggers start complaining.

Good post, TS.

Sure
but lets allow knees on the ground

then Khabib can just go north south and kill everyone
I'm fine with that. I don't have any problem with knees from the front headlock, grounded fighter or not. I think it's a great addition to MMA and makes the fight more real.

If he can do it, all the power to him. But the front headlock works both ways. If Khabib gets a takedown stuffed shoving his head into someone's body, he can get kneed.

After watching a recent video breaking down why Khabib is so good at wrapping the legs on the ground and moving to mount, I'm convinced that we need to allow elbows to the back of the head when fighters are on their back.

Wrestlers "defend" themselves from strikes with this passing technique by showing their opponent the back of their head. This is purely bullshit turtling, abusing the rules to prevent your opponent from punishing you. Elbows to the back of the head would stop this lame strategy extremely quickly.

If Khabib doesn't want elbows to the back of the head, then he should not present that target to his opponent.

And if I was one of his opponents and he tried this on me, I would immediately start elbowing him to the back of the head, illegal or not. They can DQ me if they want, but I'm not just letting him do that. I would encourage every single one of Khabib's opponents to go for the "illegal" elbows in that position, and eventually the UFC will need to do something.

I've only ever seen one other such GUTLESS, little bitch strategy in the UFC -- that would be the finger on the ground to make yourself a "grounded fighter", and prevent knees from the front headlock position. That "finger on the ground" rule did get changed -- so hopefully this one does too.

I do not want to see this Khabib leg wrap become a standard part of MMA, because it effectively prevents your opponent from striking you while you are on top of them.

Fair enough

Let khabib drive his knees into grounded opponents heads also

So, you would act just like Conor? Guess that's why he won the fight, amirite?

Fair enough

Let khabib drive his knees into grounded opponents heads also
For sure. But Khabib can also get his takedowns stuffed and kneed in the head.

A lot of fighters don't work for the front headlock position in MMA because it doesn't do much for you. And when facing a wrestler, going for the front headlock just gives then a chain wrestling opening to hook a leg and roll you to your side.

If knees from the front headlock to a downed opponent were allowed, you would see A LOT more fighters defending takedowns and looking for that front headlock position. That would make wrestling even more dangerous for Khabib.

I firmly believe that knees from the front headlock would work against Khabib more than it would help him.

So, you would act just like Conor?
Honestly, yes.

Khabib is being a little bitch abusing the rules, showing the back of his head.

Bisping destroyed GSP on the ground with elbows. Fighters in similar positions can't use elbows against Khabib, despite him putting himself in extremely vulnerable positions. It's simply not acceptable.

We have the same problem in hockey. In the NHL you get a boarding penalty if you body check someone from behind against the boards. That's fine. But now we've got players that see a body check coming, and they literally turn their backs to the hit, trying to make themselves illegal targets. This is just being a gutless little bitch. The NHL hasn't solved this problem yet, but I do believe they will eventually make a 'turtling' penalty -- you cannot intentionally put yourself in a vulnerable position such that the rules protect you from being hit.

I agree, we also need small joint manipulation in addition to elbows to the back of the head.

I agree, we also need small joint manipulation in addition to elbows to the back of the head.
Nah, I think certain fouls should never be legal. Low blows, head butts, eye gouging, and small joint manipulation are all too dirty.

I do think that knees to the head of downed opponents, soccer kicks, and strikes to the back of the head (at least in some situations) should be allowed though. I would probably keep stomps illegal, since those are just too brutal.

But the idea here is that fighters "defending" should be given special allowances. If you are defending a fighter on top of you, trying to pass your guard, in side control, or mounting you, then you should be allowed to elbow their head. Period. Regardless of where you hit them.

It should be the grappler with dominant or top position's responsibility to prevent you from striking them by being cautious.

It’s illegal because your brain stem is located there and risk of death is unacceptably high if you allow people to tee off there.

Honestly, yes.

Khabib is being a little bitch abusing the rules, showing the back of his head.

Bisping destroyed GSP on the ground with elbows. Fighters in similar positions can't use elbows against Khabib, despite him putting himself in extremely vulnerable positions. It's simply not acceptable.

We have the same problem in hockey. In the NHL you get a boarding penalty if you body check someone from behind against the boards. That's fine. But now we've got players that see a body check coming, and they literally turn their backs to the hit, trying to make themselves illegal targets. This is just being a gutless little bitch. The NHL hasn't solved this problem yet, but I do believe they will eventually make a 'turtling' penalty -- you cannot intentionally put yourself in a vulnerable position such that the rules protect you from being hit.
Fighting by the rules = abusing the rules? The positions Khabib puts himself are not vulnerable within the context of a given ruleset, your fantasies about what would happen in Khabib fights had the ruleset been different are irrelevant. You know what would happen if the rules were to be changed? Khabib would not fight the way he fights now, he would fight in a different manner and you would be whining about something else like a worthless bitch.

The back is exposed for all of 1-2 seconds in that pass before switching your hips and putting your head on near the armpit of driving into the chin. Elbows wouldn't do much of anything there. Conor used them at length to little success if any.

Fighting by the rules = abusing the rules? The positions Khabib puts himself are not vulnerable within the context of a given ruleset, your fantasies about what would happen in Khabib fights had the ruleset been different are irrelevant. You know what would happen if the rules were to be changed? Khabib would not fight the way he fights now, he would fight in a different manner and you would be whining about something else like a worthless bitch.
You're simply dead wrong about that.

The "finger on the ground" defnse was also "not vulnerable within the context of the rules" but it was clearly bullshit.

If you think exploiting the rules to make yourself an illegal target for strikes is acceptable, then I only hope you try that in an MMA gym and get a concussion because of your stupidity. Then you can cry about how the strike was illegal after you've lost some of your brain cells.

It’s illegal because your brain stem is located there and risk of death is unacceptably high if you allow people to tee off there.
This should have been the first, and only reply in the thread.

The back is exposed for all of 1-2 seconds in that pass before switching your hips and putting your head on near the armpit of driving into the chin. Elbows wouldn't do much of anything there. Conor used them at length to little success if any.
It's a little longer than that sometimes.

Khabib has gotten stuck at points wrapping the legs for 5-10 seconds while he worms his way up. It's enough for a high level MMA fighter to sneak in some devastating elbows, especially since BOTH of Khabib's arms are unable to defend strikes until he gets his leg clamp in place.

This should have been the first, and only reply in the thread.
Then Khabib souldn't show the back of his head.

I honestly have zero sympathy for someone that gets struck in the brain stem if they are presenting their brain stem as a PRIME TARGET to their opponents. Khabib wraps both of his arms around the legs, and shows the back of his head -- he is literally unable to defend strikes and gives up his brain stem as a target.

This is egregious abuse of the rules.

Then Khabib souldn't show the back of his head.

I honestly have zero sympathy for someone that gets struck in the brain stem if they are presenting their brain stem as a PRIME TARGET to their opponents. Khabib wraps both of his arms around the legs, and shows the back of his head -- he is literally unable to defend strikes and gives up his brain stem as a target.

This is egregious abuse of the rules.
Don’t talk rubbish. What next, anyone who moves their legs apart should be allowed to get kicked in the groin?

Then he shouldn't show that target.

He's wrapping his arms around the legs and showing his brain stem as a target. He is completely unable to defend strikes in that position -- or even see them coming.

It should be illegal for Khabib to put himself in that position. The duty to 'prevent strikes to the back of the head' should be 50/50 -- don't strike someone in that spot, and don't put yourself in that position. If you the fighter being hit isn't doing their part, then the rule shouldn't apply.

You're simply dead wrong about that.

The "finger on the ground" defnse was also "not vulnerable within the context of the rules" but it was clearly bullshit.

If you think exploiting the rules to make yourself an illegal target for strikes is acceptable, then I only hope you try that in an MMA gym and get a concussion because of your stupidity. Then you can cry about how the strike was illegal after you've lost some of your brain cells.
Fighting by the rules = exploiting the rules? Got it, you're clinically retarded. If you want a more realistic fighting setting, how about we replace the floor with concrete so that wrestlers can just kill opponents by slamming them into the ground?

Back