Elbows on the ground in the UFC. The new norm?

Alot of good posts on this thread, thanks to those of you who put some thought into it. I like the ideas about the rule changes involving up kicks. I dont like the ideas about kicks and knees to the head of grounded opponents. Not alot of people enjoy watching elite wrestlers smother a guy to decision. Up kicks to the head from guard would even the playing field a bit.

I think alot of people misunderstood what I meant in my OP.

I am saying the percentage of elbows from top position on the ground seems to have increased. Guys are throwing more elbows and less punches.

I am aware that elbows have been used since the early days.

people hate wrestlers because they are boring as fuck. give them the ability to finish a fight with their wrestling skills, like knees on the ground and suddenly they are some of the most exciting fighters to watch.

it solves a lot of problems. there will still be boring fighters, but no doubt less dry humping on the ground.

So elbows are wrong because they can cause fight ending cuts. Yet wrestlers can do that now, but are hated because they can't finish a fight.

Hmmmmmm . . . nah, does not compute.

people hate wrestlers because they are boring as fuck. give them the ability to finish a fight with their wrestling skills, like knees on the ground and suddenly they are some of the most exciting fighters to watch.

it solves a lot of problems. there will still be boring fighters, but no doubt less dry humping on the ground.

It also benefits strikers to be able to punish a wrestler with a weak shot who hangs on.

this is why fighters on their backs should be allowed to throw upkicks/knees. guys on top just have too big of an advantage.

Yup, it's really stupid that they can't use those weapons. It's like everything but submissions have been taken away from the guy on bottom.

Alot of good posts on this thread, thanks to those of you who put some thought into it. I like the ideas about the rule changes involving up kicks. I dont like the ideas about kicks and knees to the head of grounded opponents. Not alot of people enjoy watching elite wrestlers smother a guy to decision. Up kicks to the head from guard would even the playing field a bit.

I think alot of people misunderstood what I meant in my OP.

I am saying the percentage of elbows from top position on the ground seems to have increased. Guys are throwing more elbows and less punches.

I am aware that elbows have been used since the early days.
I think elbows while standing have seen a big increase lately, and not just JJ. Nick Denis (too bad he's done) and Weidman finished with great standing elbows...and Cote got rocked for the first time in his career with standing elbows. Elbows on the ground are not so new, unless you only had access to Pride for years.

There isn't a wrestler alive who doesn't want to be able to throw knees on the ground

I honestly believe we would see GSP start finishing fights again if knees on the ground were allowed.

2115gtc.gif

hell yeah

I think elbows while standing have seen a big increase lately, and not just JJ. Nick Denis (too bad he's done) and Weidman finished with great standing elbows...and Cote got rocked for the first time in his career with standing elbows. Elbows on the ground are not so new, unless you only had access to Pride for years.

True that. One of the FLW's had a sick elbow combo too, I believe it was Moraga. Also the miller lauzon fight the other day.

I just wish they'd bring knees to the grounded opponents at least. I'm tired of guys playing the paw game.

That's what I say(agreeing to your first statement). If they do anything, it should be adding knees on the ground. They are a must. An mma match is a FIGHT and there should not be any 'safe' positions. Without knees on the ground, there are 'safe' positions. Think about how much north-south would be mean if knees were allowed. Frig, even the old/first Pride rules (before Pride 12 or 13, can't remember exactly, but when Henderson and Silva fought the first time, that was the last event with the old Pride rules) would be an improvement (that is, you can knee and kick on the ground, if the defending fighter is facing upwards..so essentially, no 4 point attacks). That would be too confusing, but it would still be better than the crappy Unified Rules. Fuck, right now, side mouth, north south, etc,...they aren't much better than throwing punches from a guy's guard. The UFC should really stand up and make a case to the Athletic Commissions. They surely have enough pull to make a case for some changes. Frig, if I was in charge of the UFC, I would find some states or provinces that would sanction full Pride rules and only hold events there until the other commissions came on board...and with all of the money they would be losing, I'm sure they'd quickly jump on board.

Wrapping up, I really believe that all kicks and knees should be legal on the ground...but I'd settle for just knees if it was the only place the commissions would budge. I'd even give up all 'head' elbows in exchange for knees.

Knees on the ground are game changers, elbows are not (usually).

Back