Elbows on the ground in the UFC. The new norm?

Guiltypartie101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just got around to watching the prelims from UFC 155 on the DVR. I was watching the Myles Jury vs. Michael Johnson fight and Myles was able to control Johnson on the ground largely due to his use of elbows from various top positions. It just occured to me that this seems to be the new norm in the UFC and mma in general. It seems like we are seeing more elbows than punches on the ground. They also seem to to be a more effective ground striking technique than punches. What say you sherdog?

People have been taught to use elbows on the floor over punches since nhb. But I know just what you mean. Fighters seem to value them and pursue the damage that can be caused. Fair play, makes sense. Land an elbow and it is in the bank, go for a submission and miss it, you ain't got shit.

elbows have been the norm forever. it just depended on the fighting style - now eveyones training every style so you just see it from more fighters- always been the norm though

Elbows give you a better chance at cutting your opponent and virtually give him no shot to submit you. Elbows<punches when in dominant position.

Vera's face, Brock's face, Lauzon and Condit's skulls, etc.

An elbow can kill on the ground. Not using them would be doing yourself a disservice.

goodridgeelbows-1.gif

Elbows dont break as easy as the hand does.

this is why fighters on their backs should be allowed to throw upkicks/knees. guys on top just have too big of an advantage.

I just wish they'd bring knees to the grounded opponents at least. I'm tired of guys playing the paw game.

Ideally, soccer kicks tothe head and flying head stomps as well.

good against guys who like wrist control, and wrist control is easier to set up submissions from guard in mma.

basically elbows make guys sit in guard and not try to open up and pass. imagine banning elbows and allowing knee strikes, more scrambles, more submissions, more knockouts, b/c everyone would try to pass the guard to get to side mount.

the guy on bottom would move like his life depended on it so he didn't get kneed in the head. no more turtle defense. yep, it would solve a lot of issues immediatlely.

this is why fighters on their backs should be allowed to throw upkicks/knees. guys on top just have too big of an advantage.

Exactly. The current rules/scoring favor wrestlers the guy on the ground needs to be cut some more slack.

I'm glad there's no soccer kicks or or knees to a downed opponent. Go watch felony fights if you want to watch that shit.

yes its very unbalanced. Having upkicks would make the guy either commit to a ground fight or stand up. no more pelvis riding like benson loves to do. No more posturing up to throw heavy punches, you have to look for submissions or get to a dominant position.

it would also solve alot of problems immediately. too bad ufc is doing nothing to lobby for the correct changes. too many exploits in mma nowadays not enough fighting

Exactly. The current rules/scoring favor wrestlers the guy on the ground needs to be cut some more slack.

There isn't a wrestler alive who doesn't want to be able to throw knees on the ground

Elbows on the ground are not a new trend, they have been there since day one, not looking too far back Tito Ortiz used them as his main weapon on his ground and pound, Randy used them alot too, so did Matt Hughes, and the list keeps growing

yes rules which stand up opponents when they are still doing work and the guy on bottom is clearly stalling favor wrestlers.

It's funny how people think that knees on the ground and things of that nature would benefit strikers. If anything it would help the wrestlers.

Back