Elbows are killing me

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by krait, Dec 27, 2005.

1. krait

krait Purple Belt

Okay I'm pretty new to the standup game and have been doing stand up work and sparring for about a month now. Twice a week for about 90 minutes each session. By elbows are killing me. When I fully extend my arms by elbows are really sore. Theres no pain when they are bent just when I fully extend them. They feel like I got armbarred. Now I know that there is going to be some soreness due to the new routine and what not. But, is this normal in the beginning? Will it pass or should I just suck it up.

2. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

if you're doing muay thai then that's pretty standard.

3. CowboyPete

CowboyPete Green Belt

Better to go to a doctor and find out for sure if there's a problem than "suck it up" with a possible injury.

4. ACR4V3N

ACR4V3N Blue Belt

It could be the way you punch. Maybe your snapping your elbows to much.

5. Reakt

Reakt Green Belt

yeh it could be this. do you shadowbox? you might be hyper extending your elbows when you shadowbox. Ive had a similar problem before.

6. the-spellr

the-spellr Brown Belt

Start to build your triceps really big.. also..
    Try standing with one weight in each hand, about 6-8 kilos each.. put your hands on your upper thie (standing) palms outwards holding the weights.. lift up with your wrist..

7. krait

krait Purple Belt

Don't do alot of shadow boxing but do a lot of focus mit and sparring at different power levels. But it seems resonable that maybe I am hyperextending when sparring. I do catch a lot of air when sparring at faster paces with some of the guys. I'll try to pay attention more to it next time to see if that what it is.

Thanks for all the responses.

8. Zoti

Zoti Brown Belt

Don't lock your elbow when you punch. Your supposed to hit the target when the arm is almost completely straight.

Always punch while making a fist. Even when shadow boxing.

This will save your elbows.

9. Thai Clinch

Thai Clinch Green Belt

shado boxing will help perfect your teq....so do it man!

10. Cardio

Cardio Blue Belt

SEE A DOCTOR...

Could definately be TENDONITIS or BUSITIS....

Comes from not being properly warmed up, trying to gain too fast (strength, speed, etc.) ESPECIALLY after a period of inactivity. Lifting more weights than your tendons can handle (even though your muscles can handle the weight the TENDONS need to strengthened gradually and incrementally (lighter weight, moderate reps)

Also comes from repetative motions...

11. jamison

jamison Brown Belt

That is EXACTLY what it is.

12. Hamit Aktas

Hamit Aktas Amateur Fighter

You're probably extending your elbows too much when you punch. Also make sure the punch comes from the shoulder, and not the elbow. Don't flick those elbows.

13. markdaddy4112

markdaddy4112 White Belt

I have the same problems. Tendonitis. Mostly from not tapping out of arm bars soon enough and over extending and snapping my elbows on punches. What you need to look into is taking Glucosamine Sulfate. Shit does me wonders. Glucosamine Sulfate is a synthetic version of a compound the your body makes to stimulate the growth of cartilage. The idea is that it can help rebuild cartilage, reducing the symptoms of arthritis. Take about 1000mg twice a day and in 3-4 weeks you will notice improvements. The stuff is pretty cheap too. I buy it at Target. It is a 200 count bottle (a little over a three month supply) and it costs about $16.

Best of luck

14. krait

krait Purple Belt

I already take that for my knees. Football destroyed them a long time ago. I've laid off for a week and it has gotten much better. I go back to the gym today. I'm go to try and slow it down a bit to really pay attention to see if I'm hyperextending my elbows. I probally am. Just going to have to work on my timing, form, and distance gauging.