Elbows are killing me

krait

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Okay I'm pretty new to the standup game and have been doing stand up work and sparring for about a month now. Twice a week for about 90 minutes each session. By elbows are killing me. When I fully extend my arms by elbows are really sore. Theres no pain when they are bent just when I fully extend them. They feel like I got armbarred. Now I know that there is going to be some soreness due to the new routine and what not. But, is this normal in the beginning? Will it pass or should I just suck it up.

if you're doing muay thai then that's pretty standard.

Better to go to a doctor and find out for sure if there's a problem than "suck it up" with a possible injury.

It could be the way you punch. Maybe your snapping your elbows to much.

ACR4V3N said:
It could be the way you punch. Maybe your snapping your elbows to much.

yeh it could be this. do you shadowbox? you might be hyper extending your elbows when you shadowbox. Ive had a similar problem before.

Start to build your triceps really big.. also..
Try standing with one weight in each hand, about 6-8 kilos each.. put your hands on your upper thie (standing) palms outwards holding the weights.. lift up with your wrist..

Reakt said:
yeh it could be this. do you shadowbox? you might be hyper extending your elbows when you shadowbox. Ive had a similar problem before.

Don't do alot of shadow boxing but do a lot of focus mit and sparring at different power levels. But it seems resonable that maybe I am hyperextending when sparring. I do catch a lot of air when sparring at faster paces with some of the guys. I'll try to pay attention more to it next time to see if that what it is.

Thanks for all the responses.

Don't lock your elbow when you punch. Your supposed to hit the target when the arm is almost completely straight.

Always punch while making a fist. Even when shadow boxing.

This will save your elbows.

SEE A DOCTOR...

Could definately be TENDONITIS or BUSITIS....

Comes from not being properly warmed up, trying to gain too fast (strength, speed, etc.) ESPECIALLY after a period of inactivity. Lifting more weights than your tendons can handle (even though your muscles can handle the weight the TENDONS need to strengthened gradually and incrementally (lighter weight, moderate reps)

Also comes from repetative motions...

You're probably extending your elbows too much when you punch. Also make sure the punch comes from the shoulder, and not the elbow. Don't flick those elbows.

I have the same problems. Tendonitis. Mostly from not tapping out of arm bars soon enough and over extending and snapping my elbows on punches. What you need to look into is taking Glucosamine Sulfate. Shit does me wonders. Glucosamine Sulfate is a synthetic version of a compound the your body makes to stimulate the growth of cartilage. The idea is that it can help rebuild cartilage, reducing the symptoms of arthritis. Take about 1000mg twice a day and in 3-4 weeks you will notice improvements. The stuff is pretty cheap too. I buy it at Target. It is a 200 count bottle (a little over a three month supply) and it costs about $16.

Best of luck

markdaddy4112 said:
I have the same problems. Tendonitis. Mostly from not tapping out of arm bars soon enough and over extending and snapping my elbows on punches. What you need to look into is taking Glucosamine Sulfate. Shit does me wonders. Glucosamine Sulfate is a synthetic version of a compound the your body makes to stimulate the growth of cartilage. The idea is that it can help rebuild cartilage, reducing the symptoms of arthritis. Take about 1000mg twice a day and in 3-4 weeks you will notice improvements. The stuff is pretty cheap too. I buy it at Target. It is a 200 count bottle (a little over a three month supply) and it costs about $16.

Best of luck

I already take that for my knees. Football destroyed them a long time ago. I've laid off for a week and it has gotten much better. I go back to the gym today. I'm go to try and slow it down a bit to really pay attention to see if I'm hyperextending my elbows. I probally am. Just going to have to work on my timing, form, and distance gauging.

Back