1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Elbow Pain

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Swiftie, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Swiftie Taylor Swift Nation

Lately I've been experiencing pain on the inside of both my elbows after lifting. I only lift four times a week for about an hour each day. The pain lessens with time and I'm able to get through my next workout.

What would cause this pain? Wrong technique? Lifting too heavy?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. monkeyrhythm Green Belt

I suffer from niggly inner elbows too; try this:

There was a thread a little while ago which recommended adding various dumbell curls as prehab e.g. regular, hammer, zotman etc. so maybe try adding those as accessories too.

3. JimRussel Brown Belt

Medial epicondylitis/tendinitis.

Lots of things can cause/exacerbate it. Example that happens to lots of people: Tight pecs/lats/etc cause poor shoulder mobility = flexibility not good enough to carry the bar comfortably for squatting causes the issue —> benching then exacerbates it.

The only way to fix it is to eliminate the cause/aggravating factors and let it rest. Tendinitis is a terrible cycle to get into.

Can you give us some more details on your specific situation?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  4. Warm up PROPERLY

Proper controlled movements

Carefull with compounds free weight excercises, we all chase numbers but it bites you in the ass

5. JimRussel Brown Belt

Really solid advice that addresses OP’s issue.

(edit: this was sarcasm)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  6. monkeyrhythm Green Belt

Another thing I forgot to mention is that mine is significantly exacerbated by using a regular computer mouse (this is quite common). If you have a desk job consider moving to a trackball or vertical mouse.

As the previous poster said, warm up, controlled movements etc. are key; however, I personally need some additional focus (mine peaked when I hadn't worked out for a significant amount of time).

7. Swiftie Taylor Swift Nation

The three exercises that hurt the most when doing them:

Preacher Curls
    Lat Pull Downs
    Chest Fly on a machine