elbow pads

MisdemeanorMMA

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
My friend watches mma casually and said something very interesting to me. He said that he thinks one day the UFC is going to make fighters wear elbow pads. He also said Jon Jones is the reason he feels they will ban it. I never really thought about some kind of pad they could use to cover the elbow to maybe prevent cuts from bows. Also I feel u could still KO someone with a well placed bow, padded or not. What do yall think of elbows in mma, I know places have banned elbows but has any place enforced a padded elbow rule?

I personally like the elbows, I wish they didn't have to wear gloves. I also wish you could knee and kick to a down opponent. Call me a savage but that's a real fight, UFC rules favors wrestlers.

My friend watches mma casually and said something very interesting to me. He said that he thinks one day the UFC is going to make fighters wear elbow pads. He also said Jon Jones is the reason he feels they will ban it. I never really thought about some kind of pad they could use to cover the elbow to maybe prevent cuts from bows. Also I feel u could still KO someone with a well placed bow, padded or not. What do yall think of elbows in mma, I know places have banned elbows but has any place enforced a padded elbow rule?

I personally like the elbows, I wish they didn't have to wear gloves. I also wish you could knee and kick to a down opponent. Call me a savage but that's a real fight, UFC rules favors wrestlers.

Amateur Muay Thai at intermediate level and above has the fighters fight with padded elbows.

For your question, I don't think its good. The purpose of an elbow strike to cut, secondary is the impact. Padding it would lower the probability of cuts. Also even smaller elbow pads are somewhat bulky, it could interfere with subs.

Amateur Muay Thai at intermediate level and above has the fighters fight with padded elbows.

For your question, I don't think its good. The purpose of an elbow strike to cut, secondary is the impact. Padding it would lower the probability of cuts. Also even smaller elbow pads are somewhat bulky, it could interfere with subs.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know the main purpose of a elbow, I thought they cut them on accident after smashing there opponent with one. I knew its the easiest way to cut someone in mma and maybe the pad was a good idea for that reason, but u made good points.

Fighters should wear this to prevent bruises:
5fccc925c79ff4d72081212f1abe786f.jpg

Elbow pads would probably make it too easy to armbar people, and/or restrict grappling in other ways. They'd come off or start to unravel and get in the way of fights also.

A better solution:
Santo1-e1321482037745.png

They still get in the way (see Sapp vs. Tanaka), maybe Tanaka's was just too cheap or too big. Leather ones would stay in place better I would imagine, and protect against cuts better.

Also who doesn't want a Reebok luchador mask?

Back