Elbow issue

edole

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, for a while now, every time i throw a hard right cross and come up empty or dont land flush, I hyperextend my elbow.

What can be done about this?

Thanks.

Seeing a doctor / physiotherapist would be more useful than asking on zeh internet.

Are you over extending? Because if your hitting the bag, and over extending while your like half an in out of punching range, than your bound to hurt your elbow.

Hey guys, for a while now, every time i throw a hard right cross and come up empty or dont land flush, I hyperextend my elbow.

Thanks.
Before trying to help, I'd like to understand what your problem is. We're not talking about overextended punches but hyperextended elbows right? Meaning your elbows literally bend backward like in the first picture?

newsletter16_elbow_extensio.gif

Seeing a doctor / physiotherapist would be more useful than asking on zeh internet.
Naw, as Sherdoggers, we're 100x better than any medical practitioner on the planet. Why would you take medical advice from some manlet?

your technique is incorrect, your over extending. You may already know this but I was surprised that some people dont........when you punch, you dont lock your elbows. yeah your arm is straight, but the elbow isnt locked. Just like when your standing there, your legs are straight, but knees are not locked.

you will need some help from your coach to correct your technique.

So hyperextended was probably not the correct term.

When I throw a straight right, and dont land flush, my elbow overextends?

Thanks for the feedback.

I bet you go to the ER with a case of the sniffles.

I've been to an orthopedic doctor about my elbow, they weren't any help.

I bet you go to the ER with a case of the sniffles.

I've been to an orthopedic doctor about my elbow, they weren't any help.

It's quite sad if specialized doctors give you lesser advice than some nerds on sherdog.

It's quite sad if specialized doctors give you lesser advice than some nerds on sherdog.

Sir I'll have you know I'm not a nerd.

Does a nerd watch dragonball super, and bleach?

Does a nerd watch all the DCEU and MCU movies and there animated movies?

Does a nerd also play GTA V, Black ops 4, and PUBG?

Not to mention does a nerd know what 2 plus 2 equals?

Your punching mechanics are all wrong. You are trying to get power by unbending your elbow, that's not how it's done and that's not where power comes from.

Go to a technical boxing instructor/coach, or just boxer to fix it. Pay them a nice little chunk of money or else you don't deserve to be taught anything and they wont try that hard to help you.

Thanks.

Your body is trying to tell you to not miss or use correct technique...

Jokes aside there is a lot of truth to this, proper technique = no pain. Improper technique = pain. Technique faults aside get an ultrasound, xray then mri in case you have a legitimate physical problem. DON'T skimp on the doctor.

I used to have pain for some time because of the hyperextended elbow (left jabbing hand).
One former boxer, who used to come to our gym sometimes just to warm up, avised me to rub in a heating balm to the elbows before each training session and to do biceps curls with heavy dumbells at least once a week 3*5 reps.
I cannot say that these pieces of advice solved the problem completely, but the acute pain never came back. Even after armbars, when I was engaged in sambo wrestling several years after.

Back