Elastic Cuff vs Regular Cuff

ManolosFist

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have a question regarding gloves as I am in the market for my first pair of gloves. I have been on the hunt and I see a few gloves that are "Elastic Cuff"? is there a huge differenc in the regular and the elastic? can someone please clear this up for me and if you can point me in the right direction for my first pair I am leaning towards Twins or Windy I had an order for Fairtex gloves but at the end of the day I said to myself 100 bucks for my first pair no way....and yes I read all 20 pages of the glove comparrison thread. Any advice is helpful. Oh and I will be using these gloves for Muay Thai.

You should consider "regular" Velcro gloves. You get better wrist support and fit adjustability. The extra time it takes to put them on and rip them off is negligible.

When you say "regular" or "elastic cuff", I will assume you are referring to the hoop and loop wrap around strap closure as "regular", and the hook and loop wrap around closure with the roll down or pull down elastic cuff that covers the closure strap as "elastic cuff."

I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal preference. The purpose of the elastic cuff is to avoid having to tape your gloves during sparring. The cuff keeps the glove secure and reduces the chance of abrasions to your sparring partner. However, most gloves with the elastic cuff have a smaller hook and loop closure strap and can be difficult to roll down without assistance. So you are probably better off with the standard wrap around hook and loop strap closure system.

Keep in mind that lace ups provide the best overall wrist support of the three, however, generally speaking they require assistance putting them on and also need to be taped for sparring.

Ps. If you are looking at several different gloves, post the brand and include the model, and people will be able to tell you more.

:icon_chee

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back