Eitquette when rolling

spreadthestoke

White Belt
Reaction score
So i'm pretty new and was wondering about the "dos" and "donts" while rolling.

I ask this because last night i had my first roll with another white belt... all my sessions prior were with blues purples and browns to work on my basic technique. So we slap hands and he immediately went for my collar and all i could think was "there's no way im falling for that shit again". I postured and when he shifted his weight to compensate i gave him a solid school yard push to create some distance which sent him right to the floor. Afterward he looked like he was ready to cry / punch someone... extremely butthurt.... Anyways his reaction had me wondering whether or not i crossed a certain boundry

So i'm pretty new and was wondering about the "dos" and "donts" while rolling.

I ask this because last night i had my first roll with another white belt... all my sessions prior were with blues purples and browns to work on my basic technique. So we slap hands and he immediately went for my collar and all i could think was "there's no way im falling for that shit again". I postured and when he shifted his weight to compensate i gave him a solid school yard push to create some distance which sent him right to the floor. Afterward he looked like he was ready to cry / punch someone... extremely butthurt.... Anyways his reaction had me wondering whether or not i crossed a certain boundry

Sounds legit to me.

I thought he was a bit of a pussy .. just wanted to make sure

He had 2 stripes on his belt and I had 5 lessons under mine, maybe he was more annoyed that he couldn't pass my guard :)

He had 2 stripes on his belt and I had 5 lessons under mine, maybe he was more annoyed that he couldn't pass my guard :)

He was being butt hurt, but you'll need to be careful that you don't fall into the trap of thinking you "won" something here.

Just train.

maybe he has some problems at home (with gf or his cat) and you iced the cake that day and made him feel worthless..

well I think agression is something that needs to be mutual with each partner. I know I go harder with my purples, then I do with my whites (unless they are spazzing and TRYING to hurt me), but I remain curteous.

I have had a guy or two who basically punch your grip when you grab their lapels, just while doing open mat. There are two ways I deal with that. 1) tell them to chill unless they want to go 100%., and 2) if they want to go 100%, I go for the quickest and deepest choke right off the bat, or ride knee on belly for as long as I can without advancing.

its all about respect, and agreeing on what youre there to do.

Rather than shove him, just break his grip or push just his hand away.

I am assuming you are starting from your knees.

In such case, do NOT push or pull back someone that is on his knees.

Last edited:
Not only was it acceptable on your part, but it was a sign of poor balance on his part.

I give my training partners a solid shove to the chest once in awhile to make sure they've got base at the start and expect the same to be down to me too

This reminds me of rolling with my friends in a field. The idea was that we would workout together and grapple. I cross faced and neck cranked two of my friends that day.

I still feel like a dick for it. Lesson learned.

I think chino3 had the best advice. Be respectful, and match your level of aggression with their level of aggression. This is something you should talk about, not just silently up your game as they up their game, and so on.

Don't go for double unders and sweep your fiancee when she's trying to lay down the love. They get seriously pissed:icon_cry2

Don't go for double unders and sweep your fiancee when she's trying to lay down the love. They get seriously pissed:icon_cry2

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH :icon_chee

amazing how many, um "transitions" can be had these days without much break in the action. pretty nice benefit of playin' the zhu zhitsu.

I dunno. Sounds like a bit of a d*ck move to me. It sounded like it was that "schoolyard push" when you want to start something. But I could be reading it wrong, maybe it was more of a shove than a "chest strike".

I think you have to change your attitude toward your team mates.

Back